Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An unusual squeeze The Play's the Thing

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-01, 09:41

Teams. You have a bid of misunderstanding in the auction, and reach the giddy heights of 6NT by South. How do you play it on the lead of the king of spades?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-01, 09:57

I feel I have to duck this and risk him finding the killing (unless he has Hx or xxxxx) diamond switch. There is I think a possible criss cross of sorts also if he finds a diamond.

You're going to have to read who you think has how many diamonds, and who controls them, the idea on a non diamond continuation is to play E for the heart guard, W for the spade guard and to play the double. If a diamond is played at trick 2, you run it round to hand and now play a club tho the K, cash the A pitching a diamond, hook the heart and rumble the clubs, now you have to read the ending.

YOu have:

and play the last club, you are basically playing the criss cross against E, but may also prevail if E had Kx and W is squeezed in 3 suits.

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-June-01, 10:51

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-June-01, 09:57, said:

YOu have:

and play the last club, you are basically playing the criss cross against E, but may also prevail if E had Kx and W is squeezed in 3 suits.

That is a line of play, but I think there is better. To give you an idea, both opponents guard hearts, but the king is onside, of course.

#4 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-June-01, 10:53

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-June-01, 09:57, said:

I feel I have to duck this and risk him finding the killing (unless he has Hx or xxxxx) diamond switch. There is I think a possible criss cross of sorts also if he finds a diamond.

You're going to have to read who you think has how many diamonds, and who controls them, the idea on a non diamond continuation is to play E for the heart guard, W for the spade guard and to play the double. If a diamond is played at trick 2, you run it round to hand and now play a club tho the K, cash the A pitching a diamond, hook the heart and rumble the clubs, now you have to read the ending.

YOu have:

That is a line of play, but I think there is better. To give you an idea, both opponents guard hearts, but the king is onside, of course.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-June-01, 11:26

YOu can't get the position you outline if a diamond was led at trick 2, which was where I came down to that ending from

#6 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-June-01, 18:09

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-June-01, 11:26, said:

YOu can't get the position you outline if a diamond was led at trick 2, which was where I came down to that ending from

As the cards lie, a diamond switch does not help. The full deal:

Declarer ducks the K lead and now:
a) say with a club exit, declarer wins, finesses the queen of hearts runs the clubs reaching the ending above. The last club starts a compound guard squeeze on both opponents.
b) if West had three diamonds to an honour, and say two hearts, I agree he could exit with a low diamond and beat you, but with xxx in diamonds or Hx, there is no defence. When West has xxx in diamonds, you can win the opening, lead, but when West has Hx you have to duck.

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-June-02, 03:04

I did point out in my first post that this was a layout where a diamond switch wouldn't help. Also you might well get some help in the auction as unless N deals and opens, W will show a weak 2 in spades either by opening it or overcalling it, which makes a doubleton diamond honour more likely.

#8 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-June-02, 04:43

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-June-02, 03:04, said:

I did point out in my first post that this was a layout where a diamond switch wouldn't help. Also you might well get some help in the auction as unless N deals and opens, W will show a weak 2 in spades either by opening it or overcalling it, which makes a doubleton diamond honour more likely.

Amusingly South dealt and opened 1S, a misclick (well they are both black), and North responded 2H. It was now too late to have an undo, and South ended up in 6NT. And I don't think you are getting a diamond switch from Qxx or Jxx. Certainly not in a game I want to play in for money.

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-June-02, 05:44

I actually don't see the difference keeping A makes as against cashing it and pitching a diamond.

If you don't get the diamond switch:

and here the last club W clearly can't discard a spade or a diamond, and if he discards a heart, you pitch J, play A, diamond to the K, And A squeezes E in the reds.

But also
works the same way and is the position you'd reach in the non diamond switch variant of my line where you'd have options.

#10 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-June-04, 15:37

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-June-02, 05:44, said:

I actually don't see the difference keeping A makes as against cashing it and pitching a diamond.

Yes, you are right that cashing the ace of spades early is the same if the heart finesse is winning, but it does go quite a few more off when it is not.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users