BBO Discussion Forums: Opening Bid - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening Bid

Poll: Opening Bid (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Your opening bid?

1. Pass (16 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

2. 1C (21 votes [40.38%])

Percentage of vote: 40.38%

3. 1H (15 votes [28.85%])

Percentage of vote: 28.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-May-19, 08:44

It seems to me that pass followed by a 2 suited overcall on the second round (assuming that is a possibility) describes this hand perfectly (5-5 or better, little defense). That being so why make an opening bid that will almost inevitably lead to you having to miss-describe your hand on the next round? Also, even if your opening of 1H or 1C finds a fit with partner it won't necessarily work out well. Suppose, for example, opponents save over your 4H contract and partner doubles. How confident would you be in letting it stand? Yet pulling to 5H could turn a big plus into a minus. If you had passed originally then you can let the double stand with a clear conscious.

#42 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-May-19, 09:28

View PostGrahamJson, on 2020-May-19, 08:44, said:

It seems to me that pass followed by a 2 suited overcall on the second round (assuming that is a possibility) describes this hand perfectly (5-5 or better, little defense). That being so why make an opening bid that will almost inevitably lead to you having to miss-describe your hand on the next round? Also, even if your opening of 1H or 1C finds a fit with partner it won't necessarily work out well. Suppose, for example, opponents save over your 4H contract and partner doubles. How confident would you be in letting it stand? Yet pulling to 5H could turn a big plus into a minus. If you had passed originally then you can let the double stand with a clear conscious.

I agree, ... but this is something you decide before you pik up the hand.
You should make up your mind, how to handle certain borderline hands, and do it consistently.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#43 User is offline   beauchamp0 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-May-19, 18:04

View Postnekthen, on 2020-May-17, 06:13, said:

5 card major strong no trump

Dealer North All NV

Sign of a good poll: 3 options, each within a vote or 2 of 33%.

#44 User is offline   tkmelpaso 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-May-19, 21:36

Partner had this hand: five hearts to A, six clubs to AK. He opened one heart, opponents bid to 3 spades, and he bid four clubs. I'm doubleton in both hearts and clubs so took him back to his first bid. Doubled, down 2. 4C is down one. Some virtue in bidding longer, stronger suit.

#45 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-May-19, 21:48

View Posttkmelpaso, on 2020-May-19, 21:36, said:

Partner had this hand: five hearts to A, six clubs to AK. He opened one heart, opponents bid to 3 spades, and he bid four clubs. I'm doubleton in both hearts and clubs so took him back to his first bid. Doubled, down 2. 4C is down one. Some virtue in bidding longer, stronger suit.

That's a very different hand; I think 1 would be pretty unanimous there.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users