BBO Discussion Forums: Opening Bid - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening Bid

Poll: Opening Bid (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Your opening bid?

1. Pass (16 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

2. 1C (21 votes [40.38%])

Percentage of vote: 40.38%

3. 1H (15 votes [28.85%])

Percentage of vote: 28.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2020-May-18, 08:51

Possibly influenced by mainly playing Acol, but prefer 1C if we open. If it's our hand, 3NT might play better than a 5-3 heart fit. And if it's their hand at least I've indicated a lead.

#22 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-May-18, 08:57

View Postmikeh, on 2020-May-18, 08:19, said:

I pass.

I’ve read all the comments about opening and what struck me was how much everyone dreads most foreseeable developments. That’s not surprising.

There is a lot of sense in this. I voted for 1C, but with no great enthusiasm and I have wavered between all three options.

View Postmikeh, on 2020-May-18, 08:19, said:

... and I’d definitely open if playing a strong club method, but I don’t generally play that.

But what would you open if playing a strong club? 1 presumably? It still might leave the club suit as unmentioned.

#23 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2020-May-18, 09:14

1. Looks systemic even in standard 2/1 GF with its slightly conservative rule of 20 openings.

Is 1 really an invitation to disaster? Here

Spoiler

are are some hands using the Dealer code
predeal north SJ,HKT632,D4,CKQJ972
produce 100
action printall

#24 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-18, 10:08

Like Mike H., I pass -- no real second choice for me.

1. If we have a fit, so do the opponents. Thus, if the strength is anywhere close to evenly distributed, it should be easy enough to show this hand later, either with some sort of Michaels or unusual NT bid.

2. If we don't have a heart fit, opening 1H may well lead to a very bad score, because there will be no way to prevent partner from correcting clubs back to hearts. Opening 1C is less likely to lead to disaster, but quite likely to suppress a heart fit.

3. We have no defense whatsoever. God help us if partner doubles for penalty.

4. If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to open this hand playing standard 2/1 methods, I would open 3C NV, insane as it may look.

5. If playing a big club, I would treat this as a 6-4 hand and open 2C. Most big club systems allow for 6C/4M hands (certainly Meckwell does). The advantages are (i) I show my good club suit; (ii) I get some decent preemption, especially if partner can raise clubs. The only disadvantage occurs when partner has 3 hearts and a very good hand. If my partner has 4H and a good hand, we won't miss H, and if we have a heart fit but not a clear balance of power, the opponents likely have spades, so it doesn't matter which suit we bid.

#25 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-18, 11:43

View PostDavidKok, on 2020-May-18, 07:51, said:

Why do you insist on giving partner 5 spades? That is exactly the convenient assumption.

I agree that spades and clubs are completely different than hearts and clubs. In fact, a number of posts up I said I would open this hand 1, but if my hearts and spades were swapped I would open 1 without a problem, precisely because I can bid 4 over a 4 from the opponents but I have to go up a level with the hand as given - and I want to involve my partner in that decision. I think with a 1 opening it is easier to show most of the features of this hand in a competitive auction (again, as I said before).

Could you give the full auction? If you have shown you are bidding primarily on shape partner should not double without good reason. Depending on what happened so far he will be expecting 0, 0.5 or maybe even 1 defensive trick in your hand, and you need to respond differently in these cases.

There is no chance at all that, having opened at 1-level, you can inform partner that you lack defense. Unless you reserve an artificial bid.

The full auction is irrelevant.. The bidders assume there will be fierce competitiion if you pass. In that case, there will be fierce competition if you open.

In most such auctions, you will find yourself in a forcing-pass situation. It will never enter partner's worst nightmare that your hand will take no defensive trick.

#26 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-18, 14:46

If you open 1 and partner bids 1 your hand is not strong enough for bidding twice to show your x5x6 pattern.

If you open 1 and partner bids 1 or 1nt your hand is not strong enough for 2 as a revers bid.

If you open 1 it gives you way more chances to sell your hand being a x5x4 or x5x5 pattern without overselling your strength.

For example :

1 - 4 - p - p
??
5 is no option as take out so only 5 remains

1 - 4 - p - p
??
5 is now a option to show your x5x5 pattern and gives your partner a choice

#27 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-18, 14:55

Why do you insist on giving partner 5 spades? That is exactly the convenient assumption.

If the auction goes unopposed 1-1-2-2 it's exceptionally likely partner has 5. He has a weak hand, LHO can't double or overcall, it may depend on style, but if 4-3 in the majors does he bid 1 or 2 for you ?

Also, to the passers, do you prefer an auction that goes P-1-P-4 or 1-1-P/X/some number of clubs-4 to back into (or not) next ?

#28 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-18, 15:16

I agree that spades and clubs are completely different than hearts and clubs. In fact, a number of posts up I said I would open this hand 1, but if my hearts and spades were swapped I would open 1 without a problem, precisely because I can bid 4 over a 4 from the opponents but I have to go up a level with the hand as given - and I want to involve my partner in that decision. I think with a 1 opening it is easier to show most of the features of this hand in a competitive auction (again, as I said before).

Could you give the full auction? If you have shown you are bidding primarily on shape partner should not double without good reason. Depending on what happened so far he will be expecting 0, 0.5 or maybe even 1 defensive trick in your hand, and you need to respond differently in these cases.

Actually, I see I didn't respond properly.

Before you open with an irregular 1-bid, you need to anticipate the way the auction may go, and plan what you will do in each class of cases. Not least to avoid a tempo-break at the crucial time.

#29 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-18, 15:18

1 - 4 - p - p
??
5 is no option as take out so only 5 remains

1 - 4 - p - p
??
5 is now a option to show your x5x5 pattern and gives your partner a choice
[/quote]

Is partner to know not to give false preference to 5?

#30 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-18, 15:42

View PostDavidKok, on 2020-May-17, 14:18, said:

1 for me, but only because I have discussed this with my partner. The reasoning:

• pass is right out in my opinion. Somebody is holding the spades, and it's not me. The auction is likely to become very lively very soon, and I need all the time possible to describe my hand. So get in now, you won't get many more chances.
  • 1 is the normal bid with a 6/5 hand, intending to bid hearts and then rebid them on the third round to show this shape. However (again due to missing the spades), I fear that third round bid might very well need to be 5, and you're simply not strong enough for something like that (in fact, even some conventional 4NT, demanding partner choose between your suits, might be too late). I really want to describe this weakish hand before somebody bids 4, and involve my partner in the decision to bid on. If my hand was about an ace stronger I would take this risk though, and open 1.
  • 1 is all that is left. It is an unpleasant bid to make, and I am planning on bidding clubs (perhaps with a jump), and if possible rebidding them again to show 5/5 shape. Because of the general weakness of my hand I predict I won't get the chance to inform partner about my sixth club, and I'm cutting my losses right on the first round of the auction. It is a tragedy that my clubs are so much better than my hearts (so I'm not just going to lie about my shape, but also about the general placement of my points), but I feel I can live with it if partner plays a heart towards my KTxxx. Without partnership agreements I think there is much to be said for 'misleading' partner in the other direction, opening 1 intending to introduce the hearts and then rebidding clubs on the third round, presenting this hand as a 4/6.

Some asides: if the 2 of hearts instead was the ace, or if the hearts and spades are flipped, I would open 1. This time there is no problem: if I have the spades I simply take out their 4 with 4, and if I have the strong hand (between 4.5 and 3 losers. With 2.5 and fewer we open strong 2) I can bid 4NT on most auctions to show a wild two-suiter.

Precisely accurate analysis. You must be a terrific partner!

#31 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-May-18, 15:47

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-May-18, 14:55, said:

If the auction goes unopposed 1-1-2-2 it's exceptionally likely partner has 5. He has a weak hand, LHO can't double or overcall, it may depend on style, but if 4-3 in the majors does he bid 1 or 2 for you ?

Also, to the passers, do you prefer an auction that goes P-1-P-4 or 1-1-P/X/some number of clubs-4 to back into (or not) next ?

Nice framing. Of course, if we pass the auction is always going 1S. 4S and of course 4N doesn’t work out. While equally the only possible alternative is we open and Lho overcalls 1S and partner shows hearts or clubs. Meanwhile, back in the real world, most of us understand that we may well be faced with unpleasant choices not matter what we choose as our initial action. We try to avoid deciding our choice based on two specific and intrinsically improbable (as in, there are so many permutations that no one or small number of possibilities has any great likelihood of occurring) sequences

My choice is to pass. It may not work out. Your choice is to open, but whether you admit it or not, that may not work out either. My experience, which is not trivial but doesn’t make me even close to infallible, suggests that passing, for now, is more often than not the better action.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#32 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-May-18, 16:41

View Postmikeh, on 2020-May-18, 15:47, said:

Nice framing. Of course, if we pass the auction is always going 1S. 4S and of course 4N doesn’t work out. While equally the only possible alternative is we open and Lho overcalls 1S and partner shows hearts or clubs. Meanwhile, back in the real world, most of us understand that we may well be faced with unpleasant choices not matter what we choose as our initial action. We try to avoid deciding our choice based on two specific and intrinsically improbable (as in, there are so many permutations that no one or small number of possibilities has any great likelihood of occurring) sequences

My choice is to pass. It may not work out. Your choice is to open, but whether you admit it or not, that may not work out either. My experience, which is not trivial but doesn’t make me even close to infallible, suggests that passing, for now, is more often than not the better action.

Partner can show hearts or clubs or points IF he has them, and I can pass out with a much clearer conscience having opened if he passes. Yes he might be too weak to double. Also having opened 1 if I bid 4N over 4 this figures to be 6-5red and you won't get the wrong preference with 2 doubletons.

We open because we open worse hands than this and partner will not believe we have anywhere close to 10 tricks opposite AQxx and out if we pass. Pass is not even in the discussion for us, it's 1 or 1.

Also in the event of a not improbable 1-1-P-2-2 from me shows my 6-5 at the 2 level (X is 4 for us, 2 shows 5 and hence 6 clubs)

#33 User is offline   heart76 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-18, 23:58

I think I would open 2 muiderberg, although I am a bit too strong. Vulnerable it would be in range.

#34 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2020-May-19, 00:18

Sir,I shall never open this hand in 1st position.My vote is for PASS. There are certain reasons . (1)i do not like to quote the rule of 20 .(2)T he hand is absolutely useless in defence (partner shall certainly expect from you) ((3)NO ACE in the two suits.(4)Opponents can always overbid us if they hold Spades and Diamonds.If one opens this hand one may end up in a phantom sacrifice.(5))This hand may have a mirror image but in Spades and Damonds with partner.(5)I know someone in the forum

(Sorry .No insult intended in the least)who says if partner has xxxx-AQxx-xxx-xx and something similar then we miss a 4H game or slam.I do not like/wish to subscribe to such assumptions of IF.OR.and BUT.(6)If one has been FORCED to open this hand in 1st seat I shall have to open as 1 CLUB as there is the convenient descriptive rebid of 2C.If I open 1H then if it goes 1H-1S-2C ,I do not want partner to give preference to Hearts with xx in heart I dare not rebid my C after that.I shall have to find a new partner.
I ,most sincerely and humbly, wish the BEST OF LUCK to all who decide to open this hand in the 1ST seat.THANKS.Perhaps, i am afraid it sounds more like a novice or does it?

#35 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-19, 00:32

View PostTramticket, on 2020-May-18, 08:57, said:

There is a lot of sense in this. I voted for 1C, but with no great enthusiasm and I have wavered between all three options.

But what would you open if playing a strong club? 1 presumably? It still might leave the club suit as unmentioned.

Sir,Playing a strong club system the opening will be 2 CLUB and not 1H.We play precision (wei) or Super Precision and have the bids to show 5 carder hearts after that.As you know the 2C by way of HCP shows 11-15 only. Kindly pardon me .

#36 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-May-19, 02:42

View Postmsjennifer, on 2020-May-19, 00:18, said:

(Sorry .No insult intended in the least)who says if partner has xxxx-AQxx-xxx-xx and something similar then we miss a 4H game or slam.I do not like/wish to subscribe to such assumptions of IF.OR.and BUT.(6)If one has been FORCED to open this hand in 1st seat I shall have to open as 1 CLUB as there is the convenient descriptive rebid of 2C.If I open 1H then if it goes 1H-1S-2C ,I do not want partner to give preference to Hearts with xx in heart I dare not rebid my C after that.I shall have to find a new partner.
I ,most sincerely and humbly, wish the BEST OF LUCK to all who decide to open this hand in the 1ST seat.THANKS.Perhaps, i am afraid it sounds more like a novice or does it?

I didn't actually mean it as missing a 4 game, I meant it as missing a 5 or 6 cheap save as opps will surely outbid 4.

#37 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-19, 02:49

View PostDouglas43, on 2020-May-18, 08:51, said:

Possibly influenced by mainly playing Acol, but prefer 1C if we open. If it's our hand, 3NT might play better than a 5-3 heart fit. And if it's their hand at least I've indicated a lead.

I'm not saying that we will never play in no trumps. It is, I suppose, possible...

But when I pick up a hand like this and choose my opening bid, I am not planning for a 3NT contract!

#38 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2020-May-19, 03:00

View Postmsjennifer, on 2020-May-19, 00:18, said:

Sir,I shall never open this hand in 1st position.My vote is for PASS. There are certain reasons . (1)i do not like to quote the rule of 20 .(2)T he hand is absolutely useless in defence (partner shall certainly expect from you) ((3)NO ACE in the two suits.(4)Opponents can always overbid us if they hold Spades and Diamonds.If one opens this hand one may end up in a phantom sacrifice.(5))This hand may have a mirror image but in Spades and Damonds with partner.(5)I know someone in the forum

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that

J
KT632
KQJ972

is absolutely useless in defense, but it seems like you might be thinking about the trick-taking potential on defence rather than the offence-to-defence ratio. A hand with a slightly lower offence-to-defence ratio but a slightly higher trick-taking potential on defence is

J
KQJ72
KT9632,

so would it qualify for 1, in your opinion? If not, then how about

J
KQJT9
J
KQJT98

? Or are points still irrelevant?

#39 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-19, 06:45

View Postnullve, on 2020-May-19, 03:00, said:

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that

J
KT632
KQJ972

is absolutely useless in defense, but it seems like you might be thinking about the trick-taking potential on defence rather than the offence-to-defence ratio. A hand with a slightly lower offence-to-defence ratio but a slightly higher trick-taking potential on defence is

J
KQJ72
KT9632,

so would it qualify for 1, in your opinion? If not, then how about

J
KQJT9
J
KQJT98

? Or are points still irrelevant?

Sir, Pardon me but the hand J-KQJ109- J-KQJ1098 is a legitimate opening in any seat.This hand has only 4 losers and 9 winners as played in either of the two suits Tell me how many winners /losers are in the posted hand .I do not wish to argue about such things in life.As you notice I have already wished GOOD LUCK to those who open the posted hand in the FIRST seat.After all each of us is entitled to have a different opinion.If you have a different one than mine you are certainly most welcome to have it.In life and on the table also all four may not agree to every bid and lead etc.I try to enjoy my bridge and since one is ASKED (or requested to put it mildly) to vote i have voted fior PASS and tried to present my reasons for so.Lastly,I politely say that NO ONE shall be able to convince me to do otherwise.THANX.

#40 User is offline   bilalz 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-May-19, 06:57

too hard, almost as if it was a made up hand because the spots, suits, position and vulnerability conditions could not be more challenging. Hopefully one of these will point to the right answer when faced with such a hand. As it is, I am stumped. So I will base it another factor: the tendency of my opponents to compete/overcall/sacrifice/penalize. If I am unlucky enough to have even that condition unhelpful, unknown opps and additionally the state of the match not helping me make a choice (I would be damn right shocked if I find myself in this state), my preferences are in this order: pass, 1C, 1H, 3C when playing standard system. Its any easy 2C opening in a strong club system.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users