BBO Discussion Forums: Starting a team match - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Starting a team match

#1 User is offline   elmarit 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-April-23, 10:03

How does one start a team match with reserved seats before all the expected players are on line? I find that if any one is not on line the match is cancelled and I have to start again

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-April-23, 10:27

View Postelmarit, on 2020-April-23, 10:03, said:

How does one start a team match with reserved seats before all the expected players are on line? I find that if any one is not on line the match is cancelled and I have to start again

You cannot.

You can start a team match with an unreserved seat, put "+private+" in the match description and then you will be able to sub the late player in and the other table will start. Putting "+private+" will prevent others asking to play.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   elmarit 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-23, 11:12

View Postpaulg, on 2020-April-23, 10:27, said:

You cannot.

You can start a team match with an unreserved seat, put "+private+" in the match description and then you will be able to sub the late player in and the other table will start. Putting "+private+" will prevent others asking to play.

#4 User is offline   elmarit 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-23, 11:13

Thanks

#5 User is offline   elmarit 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-23, 11:13

Thanks

#6 User is offline   rogery 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-25, 00:29

View Postpaulg, on 2020-April-23, 10:27, said:

You cannot.

Does putting +private+ actually prevent players from asking to play or just discourage them (i.e. they can still ask and you have to reject their request)?

#7 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2020-April-25, 03:04

View Postrogery, on 2020-April-25, 00:29, said:

Does putting +private+ actually prevent players from asking to play or just discourage them (i.e. they can still ask and you have to reject their request)?

I thought it prevented them. I may be wrong.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#8 User is offline   sandiem 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-April-25, 06:08

View Postrogery, on 2020-April-25, 00:29, said:

It does prevent them. I've had to do it that way when i couldn't start a team match with assigned seats. It kept being cancelled but i was able to start it with just me and then invite the others one by one with no interference.

#9 User is offline   AlGraves 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-25, 14:20

of course BBO and Funbridge and the other sites are an outstanding gift to the bridge community and we all are grateful
Next upgrade for BBO needs to improve their documentation and also fix the user unfriendly aspects of all of their software. Almost every aspect is left wanting for being user friendly and having good documentation. Perhaps with the new managemnt structur this will be addressed
was bombarded with requests to join even though I had reserved the seats
and did not know that all players had to be online for the reservation system to work
That is like making a reservation for a restaurant but you have to be there to make the reservation. It is like the old Seinfeld with the rental car clerk , You know how to make the reservation , but you dont know how to Keep the reservation.

#10 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-26, 11:20

View Postelmarit, on 2020-April-23, 10:03, said:

If playing face to face you can't start a match before all the players are present so why start an online match before everybody gets there? If you have them all designated as friends you can see when they're online. Just set up the match, reserve the seats, and wait until you see them all online before you hit the Create Team Match button.

#11 User is offline   zander1124 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-26, 15:54

I am trying to start a Team game. I get the error message saying "brand new players cannot start a team game". I'm not a brand new player. I've been playing online in the Start Your Own Table section for a couple of weeks now. Help.

#12 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2020-April-26, 16:28

View Postzander1124, on 2020-April-26, 15:54, said:

I am trying to start a Team game. I get the error message saying "brand new players cannot start a team game". I'm not a brand new player. I've been playing online in the Start Your Own Table section for a couple of weeks now. Help.

You must have been a member for two weeks and have 100+ logins.
The Beer Card

#13 User is offline   elmarit 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-28, 04:08

View PostAlGraves, on 2020-April-25, 14:20, said:

of course BBO and Funbridge and the other sites are an outstanding gift to the bridge community and we all are grateful
Next upgrade for BBO needs to improve their documentation and also fix the user unfriendly aspects of all of their software. Almost every aspect is left wanting for being user friendly and having good documentation. Perhaps with the new managemnt structur this will be addressed
was bombarded with requests to join even though I had reserved the seats
and did not know that all players had to be online for the reservation system to work
That is like making a reservation for a restaurant but you have to be there to make the reservation. It is like the old Seinfeld with the rental car clerk , You know how to make the reservation , but you dont know how to Keep the reservation.

#14 User is offline   elmarit 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-28, 04:11

Quite agree. The documentation is poor and one has to rely on past experiences of others. Alao, having all the players on line does not always work if (a) one of them fails to accept the invitation in the narrow time window allowed or (b) the system is heavily loaded. Last week I had all the players on line but succeeded in starting the match only at the fourth attempt.

#15 User is offline   arepo24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-30, 06:59

Maybe I am reading this incorrectly, but I have no problem at all getting 4 players into a table even before they arrive. I do this every night.
Let's say we agree on an 8 pm game.
I will go in at 7:50 and do the following:

1. I go to "Relaxed Table"
2. I click "Start New Table"
3. I put the user names of all the players in North/South/East/West
4. I click OK.

I then wait for the players to show up to click on their invitation and off we go! Easy peasy.

(Maybe the difference is being in the Relaxed Room which is kinder to players.)

#16 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2020-April-30, 07:16

View Postarepo24, on 2020-April-30, 06:59, said:

Maybe I am reading this incorrectly, but I have no problem at all getting 4 players into a table even before they arrive. I do this every night.

This thread is about a team match, with eight players, rather than a table of four. It works slightly differently.
The Beer Card

#17 User is offline   arepo24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-30, 08:58

We also have 2 tables of 4 each. What is the difference?

#18 User is offline   jandrew 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-30, 09:25

View Postarepo24, on 2020-April-30, 08:58, said:

We also have 2 tables of 4 each. What is the difference?

Your 2 tables are in the relaxed room. They are, therefore, normal playing tables unconnected with each other.

Paulg is talking about the two tables comprised in a teams match. They are like a tournament (but not exactly so), they are connected and play the same hands. Setting up a teams match of two tables is completely different, and follows different procedures, rules and parameters.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users