Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pause in play

#1 User is offline   cearnest 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-April-11, 12:42

Can a player in a Casual game ask for a pause in play for a few minutes?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-April-11, 14:53

You can ask by writing a chat message. Whether the other players will be willing to wait for you is another matter.

If you don't want the system to automatically boot you, the table host should enable "Permission required to play" or reserve the seat for you.

#3 User is offline   mhkbidder 

• Pip

Posted 2020-July-22, 16:19

how to pause after a game to study for a minute each persons dealt cards and the bidding?

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-23, 09:44

Follow barmar's advice to stop being booted.

At the end of the hand, look in history at the hand until you're ready. The next hand will show up, but you don't have to do anything with it.

If the others at the table don't want to pause, your only option is either to find players who do, or do it anyway and ignore their demands to play this hand. If they boot you because they really don't want to pause, "find players who do".
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   gbb483 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-July-23, 09:45

Can someone explain what the 'be right back' button on your account does, and is it pertinent to this situation?

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-23, 11:06

View Postgbb483, on 2020-July-23, 09:45, said:

Can someone explain what the 'be right back' button on your account does, and is it pertinent to this situation?

I don’t have on this button my iPad, but I will sometimes type brb. This just tell the other players that my next action may be slow because I have gone to get another glass of wine.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-July-23, 14:08

View Postgbb483, on 2020-July-23, 09:45, said:

It has the following effects:
1. Your name in the client is dimmed to let the other players know you're away from your computer.
2. Lobby chat and club chat are not shown.
3. Invitations to be a substitute are not shown.
4. You won't be booted for playing too slow.

So yes, it is pertinent.

#8 User is offline   gbb483 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-July-24, 00:15

View PostVampyr, on 2020-July-23, 11:06, said:

I don’t have on this button my iPad, but I will sometimes type brb. This just tell the other players that my next action may be slow because I have gone to get another glass of wine.

Well it is on my iPad - just go to the 'Account' tab and it is the first button on the left along the bottom.

#9 User is offline   sveriau 

• Pip

Posted 2020-August-12, 22:12

View Postcearnest, on 2020-April-11, 12:42, said:

Can a player in a Casual game ask for a pause in play for a few minutes?

I have the same question but at the end of the game, for a post mortem with all four players on Zoom.

#10 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2020-August-13, 10:13

Solution 1: myhands. After the session, boot up your Zoom meeting, one person pull their recent history from myhands, and discuss to your hearts' content.
Solution 2: [Note that this does not work for Team games or tournaments.] By preference, host should reserve all four seats for the people in them when she opens. On the last hand, host sets the table to Invisible. On the opening lead, Dummy gets up from the table and becomes a kibitzer. With a not full table, no new hand will be generated. Invisible and with reserved seating, there won't be a massive drive of people wanting to play at your table, or just sitting down and wondering why there's no play. Discuss as desired.
[Edit. Solution 2.5 (can't use 3): let the last+1 hand show up, and discuss the history as desired until deciding to close the table. Again, this won't work for tournaments or team games, where there isn't "another hand".]
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#11 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-August-13, 15:21

View Postmycroft, on 2020-August-13, 10:13, said:

Solution 1: myhands. After the session, boot up your Zoom meeting, one person pull their recent history from myhands, and discuss to your hearts' content.
solution 2: [Note that this does not work for Team games or tournaments.] By preference, host should reserve all four seats for the people in them when she opens. On the last hand, host sets the table to Invisible. On the opening lead, Dummy gets up from the table and becomes a kibitzer. With a not full table, no new hand will be generated. Invisible and with reserved seating, there won't be a massive drive of people wanting to play at your table, or just sitting down and wondering why there's no play. Discuss as desired.

Solution 3: BBO actually fixes the problem, allowing people to pause at the end of a hand to examine and discuss when all want to do so.

This request comes up time and time again, it is clear that a significant proportion of users want it and it is trivial to implement.

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-August-13, 15:48

View Postpescetom, on 2020-August-13, 15:21, said:

Solution 3: BBO actually fixes the problem, allowing people to pause at the end of a hand to examine and discuss when all want to do so.

This request comes up time and time again, it is clear that a significant proportion of users want it and it is trivial to implement.

I do not understand what is preventing people from discussing a hand after it is finished. What would need to be “implemented”? I guess they don’t know that the hand is available in the history.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#13 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2020-August-13, 15:58

It's clear that a lot of the new BBO players, who haven't been playing online for decades, are used to it, and would like something. I have seen a lot of these requests since March. Whether it's 'significant', or whether it's just a loud minority, I don't know.

It's also clear that a large majority of BBOs long-term player base would absolutely hate the idea, and would scream about any table that used it. I don't remember ever seeing a request for this before March 2020. Please note that I am definitely in this category.

Way back in the day, when only That Other Site was running, and you could still use the ncurses client (you know, I wouldn't mind having a curses BBO client, now that I think about it!) I used to run a mentor game with a trio of Americans (I was the mentor program mentor for one of them, and the other two were accumulated as their mentors gave up). Even then, the next hand showed up, and we ignored it until we'd finished discussing this one, and then we went on. In games where people didn't want to waste 5 minutes after every hand blathering on over who was to blame for it - basically every other game that wasn't a teaching game - they didn't ignore it, and that got the game moving again (usually).

Note that one of the reasons I acquired the rest of the table was that we found that, even advertising a teaching game that would stop after each hand, we couldn't get opponents who didn't gripe about it unless we found another mentor pair; and we weren't the only ones, so people stopped even trying. (Another was that I picked up the kind of people who could learn best from me - the kind that preferred "so, if you think this..." and "what do you think partner meant by the 7?" to "the rules say you have to bid [X] with this hand", and yet another was the fact that when I was the one that made the mistake (that I noticed), I also explained that.)

In other words, if they went to the trouble of implementing this option, it would have to be an option, it would have to be settable by the table host, and it would cause more fights than telling people they don't have to bid just because the table has issued them cards. Sure, it could be done, but should it?

#14 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-August-14, 11:57

It's obvious that nobody is asking to change the default behaviour, this should be an option just like undo or kibbitzing or whatever.
I sorely doubt that nobody asked for it before this year. It was certainly one of the first things I disliked about BBO, long before I discovered that there was a forum.

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-August-14, 16:39

View Postpescetom, on 2020-August-14, 11:57, said:

It's obvious that nobody is asking to change the default behaviour, this should be an option just like undo or kibbitzing or whatever.
I sorely doubt that nobody asked for it before this year. It was certainly one of the first things I disliked about BBO, long before I discovered that there was a forum.

Still don’t understand.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users