Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid a game, but which one?

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2020-March-22, 02:35

So you have the above auction.

The first double just showed 4 spades, the second was just "more take out". 3H was undiscussed but interpreted as "do something sensible", and partner decided that 3S was sensible.

4D from you would not be forcing.

So what do you decide to do?

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-March-22, 03:04

3NT now. It probably depends on a finesse or a 2-2 break in s but, for me, there's more chance you can scramble 9 tricks in NTs than 10 in , or 11 in s. The hand is a very poor 14 count but opposite the right 11 from partner (with a bit of luck) the NT game will probably make.

#3 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-22, 03:28

What is your basic system? Strong or weak NT? If you are playing a strong NT then I expect partner to hold the weak NT type hand. I would have bid 3NT already - but not with a lot of confidence.

If you are playing a weak NT then I expect partner to have an unbalanced hand - presumably a 6-card diamond suit since partner doesn't seem to have a second 4-card suit. 3NT still looks to be the better option and I would be more optimistic based on the hope of running 6 club tricks.

#4 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-22, 03:43

Seems like partner has a 3352 or 3361 and not even the shadow of a H stop (probably denied a stop when didn’t bid 2NT on the 2nd X, and when further inquired via 3H, declined again).

I doubt she has 3343 with good D and poor S like
xxx
xxx
AKQx
K(Q)x

2S is probably a better bid, if you had 4, you’d not have passed 2H.

Axx
xxx
AKxxx (or AQ and finesse working)
Qxx and finesse working

At teams, I’d have bid 3NT already rather than the 2nd X. Not sure to make it but I have 14. Yes, the H stop is weak, but so is it in the other room.

At pairs, 4D might be safer.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-22, 04:18

Difficult for me to comment on this as I wouldn't have started from here, and your auction gives me info I may or may not get in mine. Also I don't know enough about your system.

Would 2N have been nat/art over 2, and would you have expected partner to bid 3 with any sensible 6 card suit ?

#6 User is offline   Charlie Yu 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-March-23, 01:17

3H is bad, the sensible thing is that you need to bid 3NT when you have stoppers instead of asking partner to do it

#7 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2020-March-24, 23:17

Sir,Doubling twice was good enough.A bid of 3H was made to find what exactly? This 3H bid is certainly a GF bid. Opener has already shown a weak hand with no good spade support.The HKQ bare is a combination which is useless for a 3NT contract considering that opener has shown least interest in a 3NT contract.In our partnership this 3H bid shows a stopper in hearts.A very bold action may be a bid of 3NT now, but I personally shall settle for 4D bid.After doubling twice and then cue bidding hearts is enough for opener to carry on to 5D at least if he has the semblance of a decent opening.It will be interesting to know what hand opener shows if he doubles the 2H bid by his RHO in OP"s system.By the way ,just going by the auction so far, I am certainly not proud to have these 14 HCP which are really worth only 12 HCP now.The hand has too many losers with no real source of tricks.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users