• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Place the blame again

#1 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-March-10, 17:42

Everyone else was in 4 making +2, we were in 3N also +2 for a zero
I hoped to find p with 5. I guess the percentages favour finding a spade fit, but I hoped to ruff with the hand with short trumps

#2 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-March-10, 17:50

View Postnekthen, on 2020-March-10, 17:42, said:

I guess the percentages favour finding a spade fit,

"I guess" is putting it mildly. Partner will have 3+ spades the majority of the time. In fact, he will have 3 spades more often than two. He will rarely have 5 hearts.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#3 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-10, 18:21

South should stop overthinking and just transfer.

#4 User is online   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-March-10, 18:39

What is your NT range, cause that looks mighty strong for 2N
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-10, 18:52

View Posthrothgar, on 2020-March-10, 18:39, said:

What is your NT range, cause that looks mighty strong for 2N

20-22

#6 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-10, 19:40

Play Muppet instead, it was built for this exact hand (responder 5=3 in the majors). 2NT-3C; 3H (no major)-3S (5=3); 4S

Note that when you have 3=5, you can find a spade fit by playing "accept transfer only with fit", then 2NT-3D; 3S = 5=2 majors

ahydra

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-March-10, 20:50

Why is this a place the blame problem? Other than agreeing to play a bad notrump range, what did opener do wrong? What responder did wrong is obvious
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2020-March-10, 21:23

View Postmikeh, on 2020-March-10, 20:50, said:

Why is this a place the blame problem? Other than agreeing to play a bad notrump range, what did opener do wrong? What responder did wrong is obvious

Best common sense post I've seen all year!

#9 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2020-March-10, 21:27

Gag that a lead could take you -1 when 12 tricks are cold in a Black suit. It is MP and trying for a slam is likely anti-percentage and leaks to much info. Just transfer and bid 3NT and be done.

#10 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-11, 03:23

View Postahydra, on 2020-March-10, 19:40, said:

Play Muppet instead, it was built for this exact hand (responder 5=3 in the majors). 2NT-3C; 3H (no major)-3S (5=3); 4S

Note that when you have 3=5, you can find a spade fit by playing "accept transfer only with fit", then 2NT-3D; 3S = 5=2 majors

ahydra

Thank you for recognising that it is a problem and providing a solution

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-March-11, 03:43

We would transfer automatically (over a 2N bid showing 22-23), opener bids 4 showing 5 good clubs and at least Qxx in spades, whether we play 4 or 6 is now up in the air.

If you bid 3 (with your methods and mine), you are essentially treating it like you've only got 4 spades, unless you're going to unilaterally pull 3N.

We have the tools via a different 3 enquiry to know that partner can have 3 and 2-4, but can't have 2 and 2-3 so you have the option of showing this as 5/4 which might be a decent option to play the moysian taking diamond ruffs in the short hand.

#12 User is offline   Beerman_55 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-March-11, 04:10

View PostTylerE, on 2020-March-10, 18:21, said:

South should stop overthinking and just transfer.

Spot on Tyler, S bids 3H (transfer to spades), then whatever tools you have e.g. N bids 3S, S bids 4D to show 1 or 2 round control (Don't forget he is the only one in the auction to know about the singleton D - so he must make it known), N bids 4NT, S bids whatever your convention and knowing you have 4 from 5 keycards then N bids 6S. Cold.

#13 User is offline   nudnikbp 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-11, 06:29

Playing standard with 2NT= 20/21, North has enough to open 2C, then 2S by South, 2NT by North and 3C by South. From there, N-S should be able to get to 6C. If S responds 2D, then 2NT by North, 3H transfer, and 3NT by North. South then bids 4C and N-S get to 6C.

#14 User is offline   fluff 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-March-11, 07:44

Blame is 100% on opener for being simply macho. Does he know what responder has ? No. How can he decide alone ?
Why do we play bridge ? Opener is not playing bridge.
Just complete the transfer and wait for partner to clarify.

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-March-11, 07:51

View Postfluff, on 2020-March-11, 07:44, said:

Blame is 100% on opener for being simply macho. Does he know what responder has ? No. How can he decide alone ?
Why do we play bridge ? Opener is not playing bridge.
Just complete the transfer and wait for partner to clarify.

What transfer ? 3 I assume would show a 4 card major

#16 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-March-11, 08:08

View PostBeerman_55, on 2020-March-11, 04:10, said:

Spot on Tyler, S bids 3H (transfer to spades), then whatever tools you have e.g. N bids 3S, S bids 4D to show 1 or 2 round control (Don't forget he is the only one in the auction to know about the singleton D - so he must make it known), N bids 4NT, S bids whatever your convention and knowing you have 4 from 5 keycards then N bids 6S. Cold.

This thread is littered with comments that show the peril of knowing both hands. Responder has a 7 count with a very weak spade suit. He has zero interest in slam. When, as gophers should, he transfers to spades, he has the worlds clearest 3N rebid.

Were he to bid 4D, btw, in normal bridge this shows a second suit.

Just to demonstrate how silly looking for slam is, picture AK. KQx KQxx Axxx for opener. This isn’t the worst hand he could have for slam, btw. Try AKx KQJ KQJx QJx. Now even 5S has no play.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#17 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2020-March-11, 08:11

View Postnudnikbp, on 2020-March-11, 06:29, said:

Playing standard with 2NT= 20/21, North has enough to open 2C, then 2S by South, 2NT by North and 3C by South. From there, N-S should be able to get to 6C. If S responds 2D, then 2NT by North, 3H transfer, and 3NT by North. South then bids 4C and N-S get to 6C.

Very few, if any, good players would respond 2S to 2C on 1Oxxxx. Even fewer would deny spade support, as opener, holding AKQ. This post is simply another example of how knowing both hands drives some posters into coming up with magical bidding

#18 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2020-March-11, 08:24

Btw, simple bridge may get you to this decent slam

2N. 3H
3S. 3N
4C.

3H is a transfer, accepted perforce. Some do play that a simple acceptance shows 3+ support, but most players do not, so I will assume normal bridge, just as I accept the 20-22 opening, which I would refuse to play in real life.

3N is a choice of games. Responder has no safety beyond 3N at this stage

4C shows a maximum opening with good spade support, and the club Ace.

Now responder is worth a 4D call, showing a control and interest in cooperating with a slam investigation. Responder would otherwise sign off in 4S.

Each partner would need to make winning decisions thereafter. Responder’s concern is that opener may be thinking that AQx is adequate trump support, while opener will not know that 4D was shortness rather than, say, the King. But I .think that opener, hearing responder indicate some interest in slam, looking at those spades, should end up driving to slam.

It’s even possible, tho I doubt I’d manage it, for the partnership to back into clubs, if either player were able to eventually bid a choice of slams 5N

#19 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2020-March-11, 09:58

Sirs, The 3C bid on the responders given hand is just not acceptable.3C bid is made when responder has one or both ONLY 4 carded major/s .Personally I shall bid 3H to 3S transfer and then 4S.(certainly not 3NT with a singleton D and unbalanced hand like the one responder has) A 2NT opener may have only 2 cards in spade but he always accepts the transfer. We have in our experience used 3C BARON with transfers and successful in bidding minor suit 4 -4 fit slams /grand slams very often missed by others. However I ,politely and humbly admit that others may not like this idea.I hope that it is not considered "ridiculous" Additionally we use Ron Klingers treatment of 2NT openers..THANKS

#20 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-March-11, 10:37

View Postmikeh, on 2020-March-11, 08:08, said:

This thread is littered with comments that show the peril of knowing both hands. Responder has a 7 count with a very weak spade suit. He has zero interest in slam. When, as gophers should, he transfers to spades, he has the worlds clearest 3N rebid.

Were he to bid 4D, btw, in normal bridge this shows a second suit.

Just to demonstrate how silly looking for slam is, picture AK. KQx KQxx Axxx for opener. This isn’t the worst hand he could have for slam, btw. Try AKx KQJ KQJx QJx. Now even 5S has no play.

Mike, what range would 2N (or a 2N rebid after 2) need to be for you to look for a slam ?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users