BBO Discussion Forums: The one that got away - a difficult defense - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The one that got away - a difficult defense a difficult defense

#1 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-February-07, 03:47

I got a 0 on board 1 in the Daylong for not taking East - 1.
Here's the hand how do you force East to go -1?

Here are the movies

#2 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-February-07, 04:44

A and another spade, when declarer plays on trumps, win the king, put North in with a diamond (play a high one for suit preference), North returns a spade for you to ruff. You take two top tricks and two trumps. It looks like that is the only defence, on anything else declarer can play ace and another heart losing only one trump trick, then cross to dummy in clubs twice to run the high spade spots, holding his spade losers to one. The defence only get one heart, one spade, and one diamond.

Easy to see double dummy, not so easy at the table. You erred by cashing the A which severs communication to your partner's hand so you can never get a ruff. There is no need to hurry in cashing your top tricks, declarer has no way of disposing of losers on long suits.

I have some sympathy with the East who went off in 3, he took a double finesse and both honors are offside, then on winning the second trump trick, South put North on lead to ruff a spade as in the defence suggested above. I'd call that unlucky. The other tables are just a case of someone cocking up and giving their opps a good result, it is like the train wreck hands that often come up at my club. You can't control what happens at other tables.

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-07, 05:08

Btw, 4 is cold off the robots got the defence horribly wrong, it is not the correct contract. Simply cashing 2 clubs and switching to a spade guarantees at least 4 tricks for the defence, leading the 3rd round of spades is suicidal, declarer lacks the entries to establish the 4th spade and cash it otherwise.

#4 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-07, 13:25

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-February-07, 05:08, said:

Btw, 4 is cold off the robots got the defence horribly wrong, it is not the correct contract. Simply cashing 2 clubs and switching to a spade guarantees at least 4 tricks for the defence, leading the 3rd round of spades is suicidal, declarer lacks the entries to establish the 4th spade and cash it otherwise.

Apologies about the 4 - you are absolutely right. What I meant was 4X-1 is the best spot for -100, compared with EW making 4 for +130.
But that's just double-dummy.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users