Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO Prompts me to run Flash

#1 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-January-12, 05:21

This is not a problem, just an annoyance.

I've just migrated to a desktop with Windows 10 (from two older systems with W7 and XP respectively). BBO runs fine but every time I launch it, it prompts me to "run Adobe Flash" and then asks me to "Allow". This never used to happen on the old systems. I'm running under Firefox. Any suggestions?

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-January-12, 05:29

View Post661_Pete, on 2020-January-12, 05:21, said:

This is not a problem, just an annoyance.

I've just migrated to a desktop with Windows 10 (from two older systems with W7 and XP respectively). BBO runs fine but every time I launch it, it prompts me to "run Adobe Flash" and then asks me to "Allow". This never used to happen on the old systems. I'm running under Firefox. Any suggestions?

Run the new version of the application

BBO wrote a new version of the BBO application because Flash is being deprecated.
Flash itself is viewed as outdated and very insecure and browsers will (soon) cease to support it altogether.
This is why Windows 10 is requiring you to jump through a bunch of hoops before it allows you to run a flash app.
In the not too distant future, it won't be allowed at all.
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-12, 11:03

Thanks for the explanation. I now remember some announcement about the new BBO: but seeing as my bookmark points to http://www.bridgebas...ient/client.php, I've been always loading the older version. So I had a go at the new version just now, for the first time, and find it takes some getting used to! I'll stick with the old one and put up with the annoyance for now - as long as I'm able to!

I didn't know about Flash disappearing. How many other sites and apps are having to upgrade, I wonder....?

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-January-13, 00:05

View Post661_Pete, on 2020-January-12, 11:03, said:

I didn't know about Flash disappearing. How many other sites and apps are having to upgrade, I wonder....?

Most sites that had been using Flash only used it for playing videos, it wasn't too hard for them to convert to HTML5 without significant changes to the applications. BBO-type applications in Flash are relatively rare.

Comcast still hasn't converted their streaming app, though.

#5 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-17, 15:36

Sticking to the old version, I've now had my keyboard lock up from time to time during play, so that I can't post explanations nor chat - although the mouse still seems to work fine. Is this a consequence of problems with Flash? Never used to happen on XP or W7. Anyway it looks like I'll have to switch to v3 after all...

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-18, 07:36

View Post661_Pete, on 2020-January-17, 15:36, said:

Sticking to the old version, I've now had my keyboard lock up from time to time during play, so that I can't post explanations nor chat - although the mouse still seems to work fine. Is this a consequence of problems with Flash? Never used to happen on XP or W7. Anyway it looks like I'll have to switch to v3 after all...

If you use multiple tabs, and toggle between tabs, there is a bug with Chrome and tabbed browsing. Make the browser window a bit smaller and then maximize again (when it redraws, the tab becomes active again).

#7 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-18, 11:36

View Postdiana_eva, on 2020-January-18, 07:36, said:

If you use multiple tabs, and toggle between tabs, there is a bug with Chrome and tabbed browsing. Make the browser window a bit smaller and then maximize again (when it redraws, the tab becomes active again).
No it's not that. I'm using only a single tab, and running under Firefox anyway (as I said in the OP).

I had another look at the new version and have to say I don't like it. One of the problems is in Kibitzing - there's no indication, in the table lists, as to whether kibitzing is disallowed, or allowed only with permission, or free access. I wasted a lot of time clicking the 'Kibitz' tab and then waiting for something to happen.

This needs to be fixed pronto!

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-January-19, 12:58

View Post661_Pete, on 2020-January-18, 11:36, said:

No it's not that. I'm using only a single tab, and running under Firefox anyway (as I said in the OP).

Well, we're not making any changes to the old version at this point. We don't have a Flash programmer, and browsers are dropping Flash support later this year.

I had another look at the new version and have to say I don't like it. One of the problems is in Kibitzing - there's no indication, in the table lists, as to whether kibitzing is disallowed, or allowed only with permission, or free access. I wasted a lot of time clicking the 'Kibitz' tab and then waiting for something to happen.

If kibitzing is restricted, there's a padlock icon in the "Kibitzers" column of the table list.

#9 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-20, 02:41

View Postbarmar, on 2020-January-19, 12:58, said:

If kibitzing is restricted, there's a padlock icon in the "Kibitzers" column of the table list.

Oh No there isn't! - not in the new version. Look again!

Old version:
Posted Image

New version:
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-January-20, 03:43

Yes, but in the old version you can't see who's prime...

#11 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-20, 05:15

View Postpescetom, on 2020-January-20, 03:43, said:

Yes, but in the old version you can't see who's prime...
Why should I want to know who's paid up for "prime"? I'm not in the least interested. What I want is to watch, or play with, players who can play bridge. B-)

#12 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-January-20, 09:07

Drag the divider to the right, the padlocks are there.

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-20, 12:34

Ah I see it now. Far from obvious - and there is no arrow or other indication that there may be more information to the right of a displayed tab. Why could not the divider be correctly positioned when you first sign in?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users