• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

We don't Play Reverses EBU

#21 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-January-08, 03:20

View Postsanst, on 2020-January-08, 02:29, said:

Now that we are OT: it depends on the hand. If I have a small singleton spades I open AKxx AKxx Axxx x 1 and after my partner’s 1 my bid will be 2. If I have A or K of spades, I would answer 2NT. Anyway, the 4441 is the weak point of most simple natural systems.

Not for me - I play a "stone age" natural system where an opening (suit) bid at the one level shows my lowest ranking 4-card suit etc.

#22 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-January-08, 03:21

View Postsanst, on 2020-January-08, 02:29, said:

Now that we are OT: it depends on the hand. If I have a small singleton spades I open AKxx AKxx Axxx x 1 and after my partner’s 1 my bid will be 2. If I have A or K of spades, I would answer 2NT. Anyway, the 4441 is the weak point of most simple natural systems.

Remaining OT, if I had K AT95 AK53 AT92 I would be tempted to open 2NT directly, RA permitting.

#23 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2020-January-09, 17:20

My partner and I play bidding 4-card suits up the line, so a sequence 1D - 1S - 2H would not necessarily be 5-4.

Having said that - we will open 1NT with a singleton in a minor suit (4-4-4-1) so that limits many of the occurrences when the hand is weak(ish) - I know this is not available in ACBL (unless the singleton is a top honour) - but we play in the real world. We will also rebid 1NT skipping a major suit (Walsh style I believe) - with a checkback option. It is highly aggressive aimed at pairs and TBH I can't remember a bad score where we have had to reverse on a moderate 4-4.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#24 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-January-10, 10:28

View Postweejonnie, on 2020-January-09, 17:20, said:

My partner and I play bidding 4-card suits up the line, so a sequence 1D - 1S - 2H would not necessarily be 5-4.

Most players bid 4-card suits up the line (although many bypass diamonds over 1 opening), why does that imply that you should reverse with the wrong shape?

If you're 3=4=4=2, either rebid NT or raise spades, depending on the quality of your club doubleton. If I'm strong enough to reverse, I would just rebid 2NT, ignoring the club quality -- a good partner will have a stopper there.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users