#1 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-December-01, 19:21

I was just struck by the similarities between the creation of master points and bitcoin mining.

I bet you could do a really hysterical parody of some of the cryptocurrency prospectuses.

If you wanted to be even sillier, create a blockchain protocol for masterpoints.
Alderaan delenda est

#2 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-01, 20:31

View Posthrothgar, on 2019-December-01, 19:21, said:

I was just struck by the similarities between the creation of master points and bitcoin mining.

I bet you could do a really hysterical parody of some of the cryptocurrency prospectuses.

If you wanted to be even sillier, create a blockchain protocol for masterpoints.

Well at our club you can trade masterpoints for a Coke (if you have $.50). :)

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-December-01, 23:57

It's not just the ACBL but the EBU (English Bridge Union) too. However there's a big difference between bitcoins and masterpoints as bitcoins can go down (as my regular partner will testify having made a pretty penny when bitcoins were all the rage): masterpoints are more like Government Premium Bonds :)

I have played against players who have their 'maximum' share of Premium Bonds in masterpoints, or who have a substantial holding having played for many years, but still play at a level below their elevated title.

Blockchain technology - something I know not too much about (at least I'm honest) - might save the ACBL and the EBU but a protocol for masterpoints based on blockchain seems too complicated in my opinion. And rather silly, as Hrothgar says. I'm more inclined to suggest the coffee shop loyalty card as the basis of masterpoint distribution :)

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-December-02, 03:52

View PostFelicityR, on 2019-December-01, 23:57, said:

Blockchain technology - something I know not too much about (at least I'm honest) - might save the ACBL and the EBU but a protocol for masterpoints based on blockchain seems too complicated in my opinion. And rather silly, as Hrothgar says. I'm more inclined to suggest the coffee shop loyalty card as the basis of masterpoint distribution :)

I should note that I think that blockchains are, for the most part, overhyped idiocy.

However, for a while they were are great tool for separating fools from their money...
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-02, 04:17

The FIGB too has a similar scheme although rank and file players take it a bit less seriously. There is no sanity check equivalent to the NGS of EBU, unfortunately, although you can at least detect who has won major tournaments in their lifetime and who has not.

A few years ago there was a proposal to transform loyalty points and tournament prizes into a supermarket like scheme which allowed you to pick prizes from a catalogue at the end of the year - so earn an iPhone or a set of kitchen knives instead of grade one or whatever. It disappeared without trace, but might work well with the 'younger' generation of players.

#6 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-02, 06:33

View Postpescetom, on 2019-December-02, 04:17, said:

a set of kitchen knives instead of grade one or whatever.

"Partner, that bid just cost me my kitchen knives. What am I going to stab you with now?!"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users