Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Repeatedly disconnected from BBO

#1 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-October-12, 14:48

This evening between 20.30 and 21.30 (local time WET-1) I was twice disconnected from BBO, both times got back in at the first attempt but discovered I was no longer playing in the TCR tournament I had registered for (maybe because it had already started, although once I thought it showed the same tournament with 80 players registered and about to start but no longer including me). The national soccer team was playing at the same time which might be part of the explanation, although other sites were quite stable.

HTML5 client on Windows 10.

#2 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-October-19, 13:13

Disappointed that BBO did not consider this worthy of a reply. Try again.

Today saturday 19 Oct at 21:01 WET I was using the new V5.1.7, playing cheerfully in a TCR tournament and a hand (around #6) had just finished.
I was waiting for the next hand, waiting... and then I was confronted with the login panel, got in and I was not playing any more. No warning, prompt, or error message of any kind.
I have a very stable fibre connection and have had no connection problems with any other internet site. But by coincidence (maybe) there is again an important soccer match in course.
I'm still scheduled for the next tournament, if that happens to work.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-October-20, 13:40

View Postpescetom, on 2019-October-19, 13:13, said:

Disappointed that BBO did not consider this worthy of a reply. Try again.

There' snot much to say. These kinds of things are transient communication problems, generally a problem with your ISP. Ther's nothing we can do about it or even suggest how to fix it.

#4 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-October-20, 13:47

View Postbarmar, on 2019-October-20, 13:40, said:

There' snot much to say. These kinds of things are transient communication problems, generally a problem with your ISP. Ther's nothing we can do about it or even suggest how to fix it.

It just happened again!
10/20/2019, 21.42 WET-1.
I had just finished #7012 Express Free and was registered for Goulash Madness starting a few minutes later...
I saw the score (gratifying) then the login page (dismaying), a few seconds later I was back in and...
no Goulash Madness any more (presumably just underway).

This stuff either never happened or happened infrequently until a month or so ago.
It's not transient.
Until two months ago I was playing with the Flash client.
I have a very stable fibre connection and no other problems with my ISP whatsoever, except for occasional video buffering when there is an important soccer match in course.
If you think it is my side, what should I ask them please?
Can you give me some kind of log to show them where things are going wrong?

#5 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-October-21, 13:50

And it did it again today, 21.45 same Goulash Madness Tournament.
I was waiting in front of the Free Tournaments menu a few minutes earlier, the Messages window on the right had a suspicious blue rectangle missing, then BBO login screen and the Free Tournaments menu with no mention of the tournament I was registered for.

If you really have no suggestion I will try playing from the Android tablet for a few days and see if that changes anything.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-October-22, 08:34

How many bars do you usually have in the diagram in the top right corner?

#7 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-October-24, 14:16

View Postbarmar, on 2019-October-22, 08:34, said:

How many bars do you usually have in the diagram in the top right corner?

No idea but I just checked now (after the usual tournaments), 4 bars although for one second in a minute the last and biggest one went grey.

#8 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-October-24, 14:22

I've been away playing/directing real bridge for a couple of evenings, but today I played the usual two tournaments, on tablet as promised.
I used the BBO app with the same internet connection and it was perfectly stable and smooth, although it gave me the same limited experience as on a smartphone - I couldn't see how to show history at the same time as play for instance (am I missing something here? This is a large HD tablet).
On saturday I will use the tablet again but with an internet browser.

#9 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-October-26, 14:15

Today with the tablet went seamlessly too, so it looks linked to PC.
Back to that in the next few days.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-October-26, 20:19

View Postpescetom, on 2019-October-24, 14:22, said:

I've been away playing/directing real bridge for a couple of evenings, but today I played the usual two tournaments, on tablet as promised.
I used the BBO app with the same internet connection and it was perfectly stable and smooth, although it gave me the same limited experience as on a smartphone - I couldn't see how to show history at the same time as play for instance (am I missing something here? This is a large HD tablet).
On saturday I will use the tablet again but with an internet browser.

Only the desktop web version offers the 2-column format. The mobile app is always in 1-column mode, even on large tablets.

#11 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-October-30, 15:00

View Postbarmar, on 2019-October-26, 20:19, said:

Only the desktop web version offers the 2-column format. The mobile app is always in 1-column mode, even on large tablets.

Ok, hope you can do something about that sooner or later. My tablet has a lot more pixels than the PC and it seems to be the way the world is going.

#12 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-October-30, 15:16

Back to the PC but not many opportunities to play, especially as the Goulash tournament has temporarily changed start time.
I did notice two things however:
1) tonight around 21:55 - 21:59 local time I was unable to reenter the BBO client, it hung with the white background and big red BBO, twirling timeout icon in the tab of Chrome. No problem whatsoever with any other internet site.
2) the situation where a blue rectangle appears at the top of the rightmost column (which often preludes finding myself mysteriously out of a tournament with no warning or disconnection) seems to happen when my Toshiba PC does it's mini-shutdown thing. This is a bizarre misbehaviour it always had, nothing to do with any setting of Windows or the PC itself that I can see. Occasionally it shuts down the screen and CPU fan for no obvious reason, then all it takes is a keyboard or mouse interrupt to wake things up in a few seconds. A Windows app resumes where it left off with no problems, but the status of BBO HTML5 client in Chrome seems to suffer. It can go for hours without doing this but it can also happen quite frequently around this time of night, maybe because they drop the mains voltage a bit.

#13 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-November-06, 14:18

Back to BBO and the PC tonight, this time it was as bad as ever.

Earlier on in the evening the PC did do it's auto-shutdown thing, as described previously. But not since 8pm. And the soccer match is finished too. No problems whatsoever on other web sites.

At around 8.37 I logged into BBO and signed up for a TCR due around 8:45pm Italy and for the Goulash Madness due at around 9.38.

I answered a post on BBO forum (no problems there and no warning beep from the other window of Chrome) then getting suspicious I went over to BBO and found a blue rectangle, soon followed by the login screen. Back in immediately and my TCR was gone.

I immediately signed up for a TCR80 starting around 8:51 and (suspicious) waited until it started. Played the first board, then the second in which pilowsky rather optimistically showed minors and raised my clubs response to 4, rightly doubled. I took the lead and clicked on a bid, nothing happened. Tried again, nothing happened. A few seconds later "You have been replaced and are no longer playing in this tournament". No loss of contact on my side, many bars in the window at top right.

Later on, I played the Goulash Madness, no problems. But after the end I was away doing other things for maybe 10 minutes and when I got back the results were not on screen and when I clicked I got the login screen.

#14 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-November-07, 11:46

Whatever problem you're having, it seems to be specific to either you or your ISP -- we're not having any general problems at our end, so there's nothing we can do about it.

As an interactive application, BBO is much more sensitive to network problems than ordinary web sites. So "no problems on other web sites" is not really meaningful.

#15 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-November-07, 12:02

View Postbarmar, on 2019-November-07, 11:46, said:

Whatever problem you're having, it seems to be specific to either you or your ISP -- we're not having any general problems at our end, so there's nothing we can do about it.

As an interactive application, BBO is much more sensitive to network problems than ordinary web sites. So "no problems on other web sites" is not really meaningful.

That block yesterday did look as if some traffic in upload got lost (at least at application level) while the connection remained alive and functioning in download, which I agree could be an ISP problem although it's hard to see how that could not affect other sites such as this forum.

Can you think of any other site that is doing comparable interaction with HTML5? That way I could try it as a comparison.

#16 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-November-08, 10:30

View Postpescetom, on 2019-November-07, 12:02, said:

Can you think of any other site that is doing comparable interaction with HTML5? That way I could try it as a comparison.

The interaction between the application and the server uses something called Websockets. I'm not sure what other sites use it, but finding them wouldn't necessarily help. The timeout is implemented in our software, not anything generic to the protocol.

#17 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-November-08, 12:06

View Postbarmar, on 2019-November-08, 10:30, said:

The interaction between the application and the server uses something called Websockets. I'm not sure what other sites use it, but finding them wouldn't necessarily help. The timeout is implemented in our software, not anything generic to the protocol.

Thanks.
It might be that when the application sends my call and this fails for some reason, nothing happens until the server times out.
If I use the Flash client does that go to the same server?
If so I could try reverting to Flash and see if the problem disappears.
In December, as I won't be on the PC again until then.

#18 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-November-10, 21:52

View Postpescetom, on 2019-November-08, 12:06, said:

Thanks.
It might be that when the application sends my call and this fails for some reason, nothing happens until the server times out.
If I use the Flash client does that go to the same server?
If so I could try reverting to Flash and see if the problem disappears.
In December, as I won't be on the PC again until then.

No, the Flash version uses a different protocol and talks to different servers.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users