BBO Discussion Forums: Something that doesn't make sense about Bot bidding - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Something that doesn't make sense about Bot bidding

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-September-21, 15:18

Hi all

Please ignore the final contract - I could have considered Blackwood but .... the cue bidding by North seems crazy to me - maybe I should have bid straight to 4H and not bid 3H (I erroenously regarded it as an invite, not strong) but....still please concetrate on the cues :)

What I don't understand, in relation to programming bids with highly specific meanings is how its possible for some uch erroneous bids to occur. Isn't it simple logic to bid 4C, not 4D etc - I know opps bid clubs - but one table got a 4C cue - go figure - then 4S with a singleton ten. Does GiB sometimes have a random bid generator?

regards P

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-September-21, 16:14

Comment 1: GIB is notoriously bad at cue bidding. I would hesitate to draw any conclusions based on its bidding

Comment 2: GIB uses simulation based methods. In theory, if you are using advanced bots, the same auction / line of play should always result in identical behavior. If you are using basic bots, who knows.

Comment 3: I agree that GIB should have bid 4!C. However, when GIB doesn't bid 3!C you should re-value you hand upwards (GIB should not have HCP's that are wasted opposite your shortness)
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-15, 09:41

Thx Hrothgar

#4 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2019-October-18, 15:39

View Postthepossum, on 2019-October-15, 09:41, said:

Thx Hrothgar

I would add inappropriate use to "bad". This particular use is recurring, and is one I've seen more times than I want to remember.

I have referred to it as "tear your hair out cue bid" because it forces you to an uncomfortably high level.

GIB also likes to cue bid opponent's suit with and without a stopper there. You have all suits covered except opponent's and GIB is cue bidding it. Does "he" have it or not? Tear your hair out trying to decide what to do. It would be nice if he would just bid no trump when he has a stopper.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users