BBO Discussion Forums: Forum promoted in the news feed locked - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forum promoted in the news feed locked Bridge books topic locked - why??

#1 User is offline   Karert 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-September-18, 11:48

There's a thread on favourite bridge books, promoted on the News Feed on the main site.

A perfectly good discussion. But it's locked. Is there any reason why this thread would be locked? And if so, what's the point in promoting it on the news feed?

Karert

#2 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-September-18, 13:00

View PostKarert, on 2019-September-18, 11:48, said:

There's a thread on favourite bridge books, promoted on the News Feed on the main site.

A perfectly good discussion. But it's locked. Is there any reason why this thread would be locked? And if so, what's the point in promoting it on the news feed?

Karert

Are you talking about this topic ?
It's not locked.

#3 User is offline   Karert 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-September-19, 05:10

View Postpescetom, on 2019-September-18, 13:00, said:

Are you talking about this topic ?
It's not locked.

That's the one. But whereas at the bottom of this page, I can click "add reply", on that page it has "this topic is locked".

#4 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-September-19, 06:13

View PostKarert, on 2019-September-19, 05:10, said:

That's the one. But whereas at the bottom of this page, I can click "add reply", on that page it has "this topic is locked".

Very odd. I just tried and I can add reply both from Windows PC and Android phone.
Maybe it's linked to the fact that you are a newcomer.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-September-19, 08:25

I'm not sure why you posted this in this forum, but there's another thread where someone reported the same problem a few days ago.

I don't know what's different. As far as I can tell, there's no restriction on newbies there. But that may be it -- all the people who have posted in the thread are either Full Member or Advanced Member, not just Member. You become a Full Member when you've made 50 posts.

#6 User is offline   Karert 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-September-19, 09:06

View Postbarmar, on 2019-September-19, 08:25, said:

I'm not sure why you posted this in this forum, but there's another thread where someone reported the same problem a few days ago.I don't know what's different. As far as I can tell, there's no restriction on newbies there. But that may be it -- all the people who have posted in the thread are either Full Member or Advanced Member, not just Member. You become a Full Member when you've made 50 posts.

Thanks for the comments/feedback/info.

I hadn't seen the other thread, but as a comment on the operation of the forums, here seemed more appropriate; I'm sure the mods could merge the threads if they deem it appropriate.

And if it is because I'm not a regular on the forums, that would be odd - how do you encourage comments if the routine threads like books are blocked to some?

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-September-19, 09:11

View PostKarert, on 2019-September-19, 09:06, said:

Thanks for the comments/feedback/info.

I hadn't seen the other thread, but as a comment on the operation of the forums, here seemed more appropriate; I'm sure the mods could merge the threads if they deem it appropriate.

This forum is for discussion of group activities by forum members, not for discussion of the forums itself. That should be treated like reporting any other problem with our service.

And if it is because I'm not a regular on the forums, that would be odd - how do you encourage comments if the routine threads like books are blocked to some?

You can post in other forums.

I'm not sure why new posters are being blocked in that forum, but it might have been because people were creating accounts just for the purpose of posting reviews of their own products.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-September-19, 09:30

I found the setting that's causing the problem. The Bridge Material Review forum requires you to have posted at least 25 times before you can post there. As I said above, this is to prevent it from being abused commercially.

#9 User is offline   Karert 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-September-19, 16:18

View Postbarmar, on 2019-September-19, 09:30, said:

I found the setting that's causing the problem. The Bridge Material Review forum requires you to have posted at least 25 times before you can post there. As I said above, this is to prevent it from being abused commercially.

Thanks for the efforts & answer, that makes sense, and is a fair reason.

Maybe with permission from a moderator (are these available at all?) I'll be able to post with permission.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-September-20, 08:48

I am the moderator, but I can't find a way to exempt users from the restriction. We're discussing whether the threshold is too high, though.

#11 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-20, 12:47

View PostKarert, on 2019-September-19, 16:18, said:

Thanks for the efforts & answer, that makes sense, and is a fair reason.

Maybe with permission from a moderator (are these available at all?) I'll be able to post with permission.

I posted your reply.

#12 User is offline   Karert 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-September-23, 05:35

View Postdiana_eva, on 2019-September-20, 12:47, said:

I posted your reply.

Thanks Diana.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-September-23, 18:22

We've decided to keep the posting restriction as is. To avoid problems like this in the future, the script that looks for threads to promote in the news feed will ignore forums that have posting restrictions (currently that's the only one).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users