BBO Discussion Forums: How would you plan the play on this - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

How would you plan the play on this

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-September-14, 19:47

Hi all

I don't know if this is a good example of planning play, something that often seems neglected and assumed by me and also many forum discussions, but is clearly an important beginner thing that I still fall down on. I tend to have a few basic strategies and then be somewhat reactive when unusual occurrences take place - without always taking the safest line (eg bad breaks)

Any thoughts about this one please. Suffice to say I went down 1 trick at Matchpoints. WOuld you have ended up in a different contract. How would you bid. How would you plan play etc. I didnt like NT but it probably makes on many plays :) But assuming you ended in 4H.......

You get a small heart from East

The way I played was to win the heart in hand (W played J), then lead to KC, then knock out Ace diamonds (E), lose a spade to the Ace (E), then you get another Spade lead to the King :) I was here with lead in North. Any thoughts?

Thanks P

************************************************************************************************

EDITED below to help Cyber. Tring to flip diagrams. Did it work :)

EDIT. Sorry, I'm totally confused myself now flipping the text :(

You get a small heart from West

The way I played was to win the heart in hand (E played J), then lead to KC, then knock out Ace diamonds (W), lose a spade to the Ace (W), then you get another Spade lead to the King :) I was here with lead in South. Any thoughts?

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-September-14, 20:52

The only small inference I can pick up here, and I am finding this tricky too is that are more likely to split 4-3 than s or s. I can't imagine West leading a singleton trump, but it's a fair possibility that West had Q653 to start with, and given the bidding felt a trump lead was safe. But surely that is playing against the odds with a 3-2 split in s over twice as likely as a 4-1.

If I choose to play against the odds, ruffing a with the K, discarding a on a high and ruffing a then playing trumps should suffice (assuming a 4-3 break).

I assume you played a to the K, discovering the bad break, tried discarding your losers on the s but West refused to overruff you when you came back to hand with a high trump ruff, and you were left with two trump losers. That's unlucky but it's the way I would have played the hand too.

Edited to reflect the 'flip' :)

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-15, 05:42

I'm very confused, N is declarer (he bid hearts first), you talk about winning in dummy, then talk about the K still being in dummy when W played the J

It is a convention here to rotate the hands so S is always declarer btw

How about winning K immediately and playing a top diamond, this somewhat snookers E, what does he do next ?

#4 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-15, 06:12

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-September-15, 05:42, said:

I'm very confused, N is declarer (he bid hearts first), you talk about winning in dummy, then talk about the K still being in dummy when W played the J

It is a convention here to rotate the hands so S is always declarer btw

How about winning K immediately and playing a top diamond, this somewhat snookers E, what does he do next ?

Hi Cyber

Sorry about misleading. Its one of those where the hands are flipped when the robot declares so the human plays North. I will fix them up and make sure its the right way round always in future :)

Sorry to Felicity too. I shouldn't have flipped things because her compass points are now flipped. I will put it back :(

I left the original post and copied a version of it with NS slipped so declarer is South :)

Apologies for any confusion. Its late and I'm going to sleep now

#5 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-15, 06:29

Thx Felicity

I will look again at your and Cybers comments in the morning. I made a mistake trying to flip diagrams but have left the original and the flipped NS. Totally confused the thread.

Good night

#6 User is offline   sassan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tennis, Go

Posted 2019-October-07, 02:15

This is a very difficult question and probably the correct answer is beyond my level. But I give it a go because it looks interesting to me.

First the bidding: It's understandable that N wants to be in game: 24+ combined HCP and looking at a 5 loser hand. However there is a strong hint against bidding 4: two shallow suits headed by A, while bidding suggests a misfit deal and strong hint that dummy cannot cover those shallow suits. Is it correct to bid 4? I am not completely sure, probably 3 (which is indeed a false preference)would have been the end of the auction for me in a conservative day.

The play is really not a big issue for me. There are a few things I might think of:

* if the initial trump lead was a singleton? 4-1 break is against the odds and 3-2 break twice more likely.
* What was the hasty cashing the A by E and exiting with a low ? Didn't E have a safer exit? This is probably the most important clue.
Both E/W do have clear view of diamonds, because declarer showed out in the first round.
If E had another wouldn't he continue the initial plan of playing trumps? (and he was looking at a singleton K in dummy).
This play contains a small hint that E initial lead was a singleton.
Why E didn't try to exit in ? probably because he was afraid of leading into a tenace. so it's safe to put E with K and afraid of leading into tenace. So he assumed pard's points must be in spades.

And what declarer should do?
If everything splits nicely:
W - E or W - E
3...4 ... 3...4
3...2 ... 3...2
4...3 ... 3...4
3...4 ... 4...3
we want to lead to K and run the diamonds.

If we believe East's odd play of A is a sign of 4-1 heart break (W started with QJxx) we should play for a nice 3-4 split of diamonds. If I had to play the hand I would have played for the following layout:
W - E
Once again the play of the hand is not much different. lead to K and run the diamonds.

If W started with doubleton diamonds we are always down. He will ruff third round of diamonds and good diamonds in dummy will be stranded forever.
W - E

In the end, I assume leading toward K is the correct play, though contract is not guaranteed.

#7 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-15, 09:44

Dear Sassan

Many thanks for your detailed reply

Regards P

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users