Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Complaints about bots Gripes

#1 User is offline   638402 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-July-23, 15:18

Bots open in 1st or 2nd with 11 points, cue bid when not strong enuf pushing the contract too hi, jumping to 4 not warranted, 1 NT forcing when they have only 6 or 7 points and 3 of your major u opened with. They don't lead ur overcalled or opening suit. They don't return a suit u led lo from that they won. I've had a bot respond to my opening minor with only 3 of a major. These and other egregious offenses occur in the ' challenges ' section. Why can't we get Watson to leave IBM's chess world to help the bots out?

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-July-23, 16:00

View Post638402, on 2019-July-23, 15:18, said:

1 NT forcing when they have only 6 or 7 points and 3 of your major u opened with.

This is not a bug at all; GIB plays constructive raises.

And I find GIB is conservative when it comes to opening bids; I've never seen it open an 11 count in first seat that I wouldn't also.

As to the others, you'd need to post specific hands. The only unwarranted jumps to 4 I've seen are in some GF auctions when it should be cuebidding (but GIB is terrible at cuebidding) - never when it is too weak (and jumps to 4 are normally meant to be weak.)

#3 User is offline   638402 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-July-23, 17:40

I think BBO keeps hand records in memory. Don't know if bidding and play results r included. Play some hands in the 'challenges' section and b prepared 2 tear ur hair out.

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-23, 18:34

I play with GIB all the time :) It has many bugs, though many people report things as bugs that aren't because they don't know the system (eg your not knowing about constructive raises).

Its leads and returns also aren't "bugs", just based on a different style of analysis to humans.

So it's more helpful if you can post specific hands to see whether it's actually a bug or not.

Not that many get fixed, but that's another matter..

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-July-24, 03:46

View Post638402, on 2019-July-23, 15:18, said:

Bots open in 1st or 2nd with 11 points,

They add points for distribution. With 5431 shape, an 11 count is an opening bid.

I've had a bot respond to my opening minor with only 3 of a major.

I've never seen that. Maybe you're thinking of them bidding a 3-card suit in response to a takeout double. They'll do this if they have 5 cards in opener's suit and not enough strength to convert the double to penalty or bid NT. This is utterly standard.

#6 User is offline   TheoKole 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Strategy Games, Reading, Weightlifting, Skiing, Singing

Posted 2019-July-27, 11:17

I've noticed dozens of times when they will lead low from a doubleton Qx, 10x, Kx and so on. If I overcall I have noticed that it is much more likely that the robot will lead from 732 of dummy's suit than my overcall or opener. Also in the past few weeks I have noticed about a dozen underleads of an Ace in a suit contract. Also some completely weird leads J from AJ83 underlead against a 4 spade contract? I think that in these times that the programmers somehow think that they can do a "surround play" on the opening lead? I've also noticed many openers on 10 counts and sometimes 8 counts if a hand is a 2 suiter.

In declarer play GIB regularly takes practice finesses, and the order in which it plays suits doesn't have a logical course many times risking a ruff for no particular reason. The notes that are described for its own system are incorrect many times and a bid that is described as "forcing" has been passed many times. Other times the bidding system is so bad that you cannot make a cue bid, even though the next suit would be a cue bid. Also never, never trust the robots judgement in slam bidding.

Good luck

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-July-27, 12:31

Newer bots (e.g. WBridge5, Jack) seem better than GIb :(
but Gib is still better than most of its critics :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users