Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Chasing the ladies

#1 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-June-29, 04:46

After an auction that starts round the table from S 1-(1)-2(inverted not GF may have 4M)-(2) you arrive in 6.

Heart K is led, any thoughts ? Anything to guide you ?

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-June-29, 06:34

'Cyberyeti' 'After an auction that starts round the table from S 1-(1)-2(inverted not GF may have 4M)-(2) you arrive in 6. Heart K is led, any thoughts ? Anything to guide you?'
++++++++++++++++++
Relying on instinct :) rather than thought :(
After winning A, cash AK. If Q drops, then play a 3rd round, cash KA.
-- If Q drops or s are 3-2, then claim (endplaying a defender with his winner if necessary).
-- -- If LHO has 4 s to Q then finesse RHO for Q,
-- -- -- If that wins, claim (discarding on the 4th whether or not it's a winner)..
If an opponent started with Qxx, then play play on s finessing J. Assuming that wins, cash winners and endplay a defender in s.
This doesn't cater for all possibilities -- for example, s might be 4-0 -- but, at least it gets the ball rolling.

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-02, 08:34

11 hearts and 1h 2h? hmmmmm seriously tempted to play rho for (43)41(45) with the 2h bid made primarily to take that bid away from us rather than anything meaningful. That means I am thinking lho looks something like xx(x) KQxxxxx Qxx (void x). If the hands are set up that way I cant avoid a club loser but I can use the 4th club to endplay rho.
trick 1 win heart (probably the ONLY play anyone else will agree with)
trick 2 diamond to K
trick 3 diamond intending to finesse the J
IF the J loses rho is immediately endplayed into hopefully solving part of our remaining LOP problems

IF the J holds
trick 4 dia Ace pulling last trump
trick 5 club ace
trick 6 club to J
IF the J loses lho is endplayed unless they began with void KQxxxxx Qxx Qxx (hard to imagine they passed 2h with that)

IF the J holds
trick 7 club K and assuming we are doomed to lose a club
trick 8 play the club and endplay rho into solving our spade problem.

If we somehow have no club loser then treat yourself to some extra brain strain figuring our how to make 7. IMPS or MP?:))))))

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-July-02, 09:25

It was MPs. I like you wondered who had the hearts. I guessed they were 6-5 with E having next to nothing (he didn't look like an aggressive preempter).

I also thought that while W would have to solve a problem for me if on play with the trump, E might not (a club could be safe).

So I played A and hooked the J losing to the Q, club came back and they were 3-2 with E having the Qxx.

So it looked to me that W had ???, KQJxxx, Qx, xx and E ???, xxxxx, xx, Qxx.

Now find the Q

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-03, 05:44

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-July-02, 09:25, said:

It was MPs. I like you wondered who had the hearts. I guessed they were 6-5 with E having next to nothing (he didn't look like an aggressive preempter).

I also thought that while W would have to solve a problem for me if on play with the trump, E might not (a club could be safe).

So I played A and hooked the J losing to the Q, club came back and they were 3-2 with E having the Qxx.

So it looked to me that W had ???, KQJxxx, Qx, xx and E ???, xxxxx, xx, Qxx.

Now find the Q

I admit that given how things have gone so far I would be much more tempted to play LHO for the spade Q. I do not believe rho would bid much differently with or w/o the possession of the
spade Q but LHO (IMHO) would be vastly more likely to overcall 1h with Qxx KQJxxx Qx xx than with xxx KQJxxx Qx xx which has to look a lot more like a 2h preempt than a 1h overcall.

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-July-03, 07:04

View Postgszes, on 2019-July-03, 05:44, said:

I admit that given how things have gone so far I would be much more tempted to play LHO for the spade Q. I do not believe rho would bid much differently with or w/o the possession of the
spade Q but LHO (IMHO) would be vastly more likely to overcall 1h with Qxx KQJxxx Qx xx than with xxx KQJxxx Qx xx which has to look a lot more like a 2h preempt than a 1h overcall.

This is exactly what I did with the same line of thinking, of course W had a hand where everybody else in this world overcalled 3 (xx. KQJxxxx, Qx, xx) and I got a massive zero.

#7 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-July-03, 14:51

Without some sort of endplay where I get the exact distribution perfect so as to squeeze LHO into a ruff+sluff.... The club finesse just has to work.. Or, it's the only trick I can lose. Either way, I want to know this immediately. So it's just correct to take the club finesse at trick two. Or to play the Ace of clubs, and THEN take the finesse. I don't imagine there is a void on this hand.

If the club finesse holds, I'm playing LHO for the Q and I'm running the jack of diamonds and collecting the trump suit ending in my hand. I intend to take the spade finesse at some point, but I'd probably strip the club suit to one stopper, and then try to place the remaining cards looking for 7.

If any of the planned finesses fail, I just play my RHO opponent for one card I need them to have.. It comes down to a guess.

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2019-July-03, 17:52

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-July-03, 07:04, said:

This is exactly what I did with the same line of thinking, of course W had a hand where everybody else in this world overcalled 3 (xx. KQJxxxx, Qx, xx) and I got a massive zero.

They have 11 hearts and stopped bidding at the 2-level. While I would infer that these opps don’t know how to jam auctions, I’d also infer that one reason is that diamonds are 2-2. No way am I hooking anyone for the diamond queen. While I sympatywith all the guessing that is necessary, I really do think that playing diamonds to be 3-1 is an error.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-July-04, 13:40

View Postmikeh, on 2019-July-03, 17:52, said:

They have 11 hearts and stopped bidding at the 2-level. While I would infer that these opps don’t know how to jam auctions, I’d also infer that one reason is that diamonds are 2-2. No way am I hooking anyone for the diamond queen. While I sympatywith all the guessing that is necessary, I really do think that playing diamonds to be 3-1 is an error.

That's awfully early in the auction to decide that opponents are cold for slam but that your QX of diamonds is a real threat if they get it wrong. The question is why is RHO only bidding 2H? LHO is either too strong to weak jump shift in their mind, or not long enough. You are only missing 12 HCP after all. Is there any reason why RHO doesn't hold 5 small hearts and QXXX of diamonds? LHO's 1H bid is a fairly reasonable lead directing bid in this situation with KQJXXX.

2-2 breaks are far less likely than some 3-1 break... If the auction is suspicious and your opponents hold a collective 12 HCP, I'd suggest the break is WORSE than expected, not better....

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users