BBO Discussion Forums: Would Charles Goren Approve? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Would Charles Goren Approve?

Poll: Worth a bid or not? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Worth a bid or not?

1. Pass (5 votes [13.89%])

Percentage of vote: 13.89%

2. One Club (24 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

3. One Diamond (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Psychic 1NT (1 votes [2.78%])

Percentage of vote: 2.78%

5. Three Clubs (6 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-June-13, 04:36

I had this hand recently at the weekly MPs duplicate third in hand. We were playing Acol 5 card majors, Weak NT, 3 weak twos, and the opponents (average club players) were playing old-fashioned 4 card major Acol with a Strong NT, and strong twos.

I realise that opening bids are getting lighter and lighter, and this hand is 13 High Card Points on a basic point count but looks awful around the edges. I had a number of options available I felt, and third in hand with a passed partner allowed me a bit more leeway than usual.

As the opponents only had a natural defence to a 1NT opener (suits natural, double 16+) I decided to do something I rarely do "psyche", with the favourable vulnerability and opened 1NT (weak). (You are welcome to criticise me freely for such a rash opening) But my thinking was based on that my partner (who rarely opens a 11 count himself) wouldn't push us towards game, and I could pass a Stayman enquiry (but goodness knows what I would have done if partner used a transfer!). And as we use three weak two openings, he certainly wouldn't have a six card suit and a weak hand in //.

I am curious as to what you feel the best bid is, given the position and vulnerability, and as always thank you for your replies.

#2 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-June-13, 06:08

View PostFelicityR, on 2019-June-13, 04:36, said:

As the opponents only had a natural defence to a 1NT opener (suits natural, double 16+) I decided to do something I rarely do "psyche", with the favourable vulnerability and opened 1NT (weak). (You are welcome to criticise me freely for such a rash opening) But my thinking was based on that my partner (who rarely opens a 11 count himself) wouldn't push us towards game, and I could pass a Stayman enquiry (but goodness knows what I would have done if partner used a transfer!). And as we use three weak two openings, he certainly wouldn't have a six card suit and a weak hand in //.

If your partner is as fussy about weak two openings as you are about one openings, he could easily have six card diamonds and a four card major, for instance. But in any case I would just make the natural 1 bid. I don't see any particular attraction in the psyche of weak 1NT here.

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-13, 09:48

View Postpescetom, on 2019-June-13, 06:08, said:

If your partner is as fussy about weak two openings as you are about one openings, he could easily have six card diamonds and a four card major, for instance. But in any case I would just make the natural 1 bid. I don't see any particular attraction in the psyche of weak 1NT here.

You are right.

I have tried to find out how to delete this post as (in my opinion now) it's not worthy of the forums. I can't find how to delete it though.

Would you be kind enough not to post any further comments on this thread. Thank you. Sorry to have wasted your time.

#4 User is offline   maartenxq 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-14, 04:12

1 club is the honest bid as you perfectly know. If you feel like experimenting that's ok with me. Big downside of this is that partner will get very suspicious on your 3rd hand opening bids.

Maarten Baltussen

#5 User is offline   cvcherry 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-June-14, 04:41

I will pass for now and expect for an all pass. There's great chance opponent's suit higher, and making an minor opening bid can only increase the chance for 4th seat to overcall with major.

#6 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-14, 15:02

1, and if you turned the Q into the 3 I'd still open 1, especially NV 3rd.

#7 User is offline   majo 

• Pip

Posted 2019-June-15, 04:11

It also depends on your weak opening bids at two level:
IF like we do, 2C shows both majors (44 or 54 or 45) OR GF, 2D shows a Multi and 2H/S shows a 5 card M with a minor suit,THEN chances are quite good that partner has some support in the minors OR is VERY weak. In both cases 3C is a good alternative to 1C opening.

#8 User is offline   majo 

• Pip

Posted 2019-June-15, 04:11

It also depends on your weak opening bids at two level:
IF like we do, 2C shows both majors (44 or 54 or 45) OR GF, 2D shows a Multi and 2H/S shows a 5 card M with a minor suit,THEN chances are quite good that partner has some support in the minors OR is VERY weak. In both cases 3C is a good alternative to 1C opening.

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-21, 15:21

You just can't get bridge players to shut up. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users