BBO Discussion Forums: leads during play - updated for addl info - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

leads during play - updated for addl info

#1 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-May-19, 14:05

Diagram 1 is the hands at the beginning of play. South is dummy. Ignore the second diagram.

The opening lead was 9H - which was won by declarer with the ace. 9h, jh, qh, and ah played on trick one.
The second trick, declarer led 7c to the ace on the board. 7c, 2c, ac, and 5c played.
The third trick - 7spades led from board. Trick was won by east with the queen. 7s, 2s, qs, and ks played.

Now it is east's turn to lead. What is the best lead and why?

this is the hands for south and east after 3 tricks have been played

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-May-19, 14:43

Your post is just way too confusing to be intelligible.
Recreate diagram with bidding, and *starting* position, with all 13 cards, for both your hand and dummy.
List what was led, and the exact cards played by each player to the first 3 tricks.
Then we can advise you on what lead makes sense and why.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-19, 14:46

It's incomprehensible, please correct the diagram. Both hands shown have only 10 cards and you could easily insert the bidding.

#4 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-20, 05:24

View PostStephen Tu, on 2019-May-19, 14:43, said:

Your post is just way too confusing to be intelligible.
Recreate diagram with bidding, and *starting* position, with all 13 cards, for both your hand and dummy.
List what was led, and the exact cards played by each player to the first 3 tricks.
Then we can advise you on what lead makes sense and why.

I updated so hope this is clearer. PLease comment if it is still not clear.

#5 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-20, 05:25

View Postpescetom, on 2019-May-19, 14:46, said:

It's incomprehensible, please correct the diagram. Both hands shown have only 10 cards and you could easily insert the bidding.

I updated the post - hope it makes more sense. Appreciate any help.

#6 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-20, 06:53

I don't understand the bidding. Did South jump to 3? Or why did South make a minimum rebid with a 19-count? And why did North find enough to jump to 3NT but pass initially?

If North really has the values to jump to 3NT, I don't think that you are beating this!

The following analysis makes no account for this auction, since I don't believe it:

View Postphoenixmj, on 2019-May-19, 14:05, said:

Now it is east's turn to lead. What is the best lead and why?

There can be no value now in continuing hearts. I would not have led a heart when South has shown 5+. If I did choose to lead a heart I would not have led the 9 (I would lead the 7 in our methods).

I probably would have lead a club (the six) at trick one. There is a good case for switching to a club now (dummy has shown up with only three), but declarer has played the suit himself - suggesting that he is not worried about clubs.

Although partner is likely to have some length in spades, so is declarer and declarer is playing spades himself.

Diamonds looks the best switch and I would try the Q hoping to set up diamond tricks for partner.

#7 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-20, 07:14

View PostTramticket, on 2019-May-20, 06:53, said:

I don't understand the bidding. Did South jump to 3? Or why did South make a minimum rebid with a 19-count? And why did North find enough to jump to 3NT but pass initially?

If North really has the values to jump to 3NT, I don't think that you are beating this!

The following analysis makes no account for this auction, since I don't believe it:

There can be no value now in continuing hearts. I would not have led a heart when South has shown 5+. If I did choose to lead a heart I would not have led the 9 (I would lead the 7 in our methods).

I probably would have lead a club (the six) at trick one. There is a good case for switching to a club now (dummy has shown up with only three), but declarer has played the suit himself - suggesting that he is not worried about clubs.

Although partner is likely to have some length in spades, so is declarer and declarer is playing spades himself.

Diamonds looks the best switch and I would try the Q hoping to set up diamond tricks for partner.

I agree that the bidding is weird - but that is the way it went. It was a bbo pairs game - I have no idea about the skills of opps. Given the situation - just looking for what should be led next. Thanks so much for the reply.

#8 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-20, 07:52

View Postphoenixmj, on 2019-May-20, 07:14, said:

I agree that the bidding is weird - but that is the way it went.

Either your opps are utterly incompetent or they are cheating.

Knowing what the opposition bidding means is important. It is pairs, so your objective is probably to take as many tricks as possible. If North genuinely has the values to force to game opposite a minimum rebid, then they are close to the slam zone. Partner has already shown up with one queen and can have little else. A switch to the queen of diamonds is dangerous.

If North might have some random six-count and partner might have (say) KJTXX it seems right to switch to the queen of diamonds.

#9 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-20, 09:06

View PostTramticket, on 2019-May-20, 07:52, said:

Knowing what the opposition bidding means is important. It is pairs, so your objective is probably to take as many tricks as possible. If North genuinely has the values to force to game opposite a minimum rebid, then they are close to the slam zone. Partner has already shown up with one queen and can have little else. A switch to the queen of diamonds is dangerous.

If North might have some random six-count and partner might have (say) KJTXX it seems right to switch to the queen of diamonds.

it was on bbo and you swith opps every game. no table talk allowed. So - we make assumptions. Not terribly concerned about the results of this hand so much as analysis of leading mid game. I appreciate that it would be "easier" if we had more knowledge of the bidding and also opps play.

#10 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-20, 13:20

View PostTramticket, on 2019-May-20, 07:52, said:

View Postphoenixmj, on 2019-May-20, 09:06, said:

it was on bbo and you swith opps every game. no table talk allowed. So - we make assumptions.

South is clearly utterly incompetent, North probably guessed this from opponent's silence and took things into his own hands.
Cheating seems very unlikely to me.

#11 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-May-20, 13:32

If ,as you say, result is immaterial then what else except the DQ.?As regards the bidding with strange partners is sometimes comparable to sheer madness.Witness the bidding .The player holds S-AJxx,H-A,D-AK10xx,C-xxx. His patner opened a 15/17 1NT. A nd the bidding went 1NT-P-2C-P-2H-P-7NT and all passed!!! O f course his partner called the TD and director booted him out.His partner proceeded af.fter both opponents answered 2 rounds of D to claim all 13 tricks.His hand was KQx-KQxx-Q9x-Axx The pairs event had been aptly named PARTNER IS ALWAYS RIGHT.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12 User is offline   ray_p 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-May-21, 04:19

Bidding looks very odd. A guess might be :
North 11 points 4/5 spades from 10,9,8,7, <3 hearts (or else 2C Drury bid was possible), 5/4 diamonds, 1-3 clubs
South apalling bid is good news as they have probably missed a slam and you'll get a good score whatever happens.

Partner may be <3 points, so no tricks to set up - just be passive and don't give away any tricks, or entries to declarer's hand.

Its a process of elimination. Don't lead a heart; Club probably gives nothing away. Spade gives nothing away but gives up location of jack-singleton, diamond may crash partners jack.

- So go with the club (-if it crashes partners Q, then the Q was going to drop anyway)

This post has been edited by ray_p: 2019-May-21, 05:56

#13 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-21, 09:06

Leaving aside issues like there seems to be two sevens of clubs, partner looks marked with the ten if hearts so I would lead a heart. I’d be surprised to get another trick, but who knows?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users