• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new BBO program

#121 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-June-23, 20:17

View PostE Laurvick, on 2019-June-23, 14:40, said:

I was just forced by BBO to get the new version. So, I started a game with the robots to see how it works.

We aren't forcing anyone yet. You can still use the Flash version until the browser makers stop supporting Flash sometime next year.

A few issues. The worst one is that once a trick is turned, it disappears. The first six tricks were played, I got distracted and now I don't remember if I lost one trick or two. Even in the most stringent bridge games, all players are always allowed to see how many tricks (and which ones) have been won be each side. Are we supposed to start noting each trick, which pair won or lost it?

There's a diagram of the tricks taken:
Posted Image
This shows that you took 1 trick and the opponents took 4 tricks.

You can also click on the quitted tricks there to see the last trick.

#122 User is offline   Curls77 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-June-24, 14:14

After just couple of minutes at new version, because being unable load any other BBO client, my eyes are full of tears, only because of color choice of chat. PLEASE, pretty please, change that light blue and green used in chat.
I saw in other post that Barmar says flash update gives problems to some users, but for a month now I am rarely able log in to it, AND to old windows client, in specific hours of the day. I blamed my connection for that, but am unsure now if that's main cause.

#123 User is offline   oops sry p 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-June-26, 12:58

View PostCurls77, on 2019-June-24, 14:14, said:

After just couple of minutes at new version, because being unable load any other BBO client, my eyes are full of tears, only because of color choice of chat. PLEASE, pretty please, change that light blue and green used in chat.

Yes - I am having trouble reading the chat also. It seems that the old version uses a "bold" font so the colour is more concentrated. Maybe it is just needs a font change?

Thanks BBO!

#124 User is offline   chairman 

• Pip

Posted 2019-June-28, 09:51

I'm using the new system, which isn't quite as awful as it was when first I tried it months ago.

There are still some things I wish you would work on.

Appearance: The black bars on the sides of the playing field are jarring--why not make them the same green?

Colors in general. Don't you know any graphic designers? There are black, white, red (at least 1 shade), 3 or more shades of blue, yellow, and two shades of green, at least. And they don't go together. This is a nightmare of colors, which you could easily amend with a talented color person.

Functionality: I prefer to use the hand diagrams, but your current implementation is unusable. Nothing lines up, and I can never tell who is playing the card in the off-center area where played cards are displayed. I've been using hand diagrams for 14 years on the old system, surely you can make them work on the new.

Chat manager: Why can't I resize? It covers far too much of the field, with buttons "edit, delete" that I rarely/never need, and not the one button that I do need, "send". I used to be able to slip most of it off the screen and compress the rest; now I can do neither.

#125 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-July-03, 13:54

Why not pin one official discussion about the HTML5 client?
Or create a specific sub-forum with specific threads for each issue?
The current anarchy makes it hard to follow progress on both sides.

That aside, tonight I noticed there was a new version. I'm not sure which, it doesn't show under 'Help', which also still talks about "BBO Mobile" and "App" when I am on a PC.

I noticed because it fixed my gripe about using the buttons at the top of History to flip between 'My Table' and 'Other Tables' - thanks :)

That said, the buttons are still almost unreadable, "History" now appears on the far right, the buttons at the top are enclosed between "<" and ">" which eat up yet more space and don't disappear even if I give the window almost half the screen width.

When I do flip to "Other Tables", the best result remains highlighted instead of my own - the two do not always coincide B-)

Scrolling up and down to find my own, I hit a situation where it was no longer possible to resize the playing area horizontally and the areas on both sides (including History) were black. Luckily it was still possible to play. I can send a screen shot if necessary.

#126 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-July-05, 08:20

View Postpescetom, on 2019-July-03, 13:54, said:

Why not pin one official discussion about the HTML5 client?
Or create a specific sub-forum with specific threads for each issue?
The current anarchy makes it hard to follow progress on both sides.

We generally do create threads for discussions of new versions of things. But people still start their own threads. Or they don't read through the original thread before posting, and post repeats.

That aside, tonight I noticed there was a new version. I'm not sure which, it doesn't show under 'Help', which also still talks about "BBO Mobile" and "App" when I am on a PC.

There's an announcement in the "News": BBO upgraded! Version 5.1.6 is here

I noticed because it fixed my gripe about using the buttons at the top of History to flip between 'My Table' and 'Other Tables' - thanks :)

That said, the buttons are still almost unreadable, "History" now appears on the far right, the buttons at the top are enclosed between "<" and ">" which eat up yet more space and don't disappear even if I give the window almost half the screen width.

Those arrow buttons are added whenever all the tab buttons don't fit into the sidebar. They're supposed to disappear when the sidebar is wide enough.

The font size of the buttons (and the list of results) increases proportional to the width of the sidebar.

When I do flip to "Other Tables", the best result remains highlighted instead of my own - the two do not always coincide B-)

Yeah, I've been meaning to complain to someone about that. Also, when you use the pop-up history viewer at a table, it doesn't scroll down to the last board any more.

Scrolling up and down to find my own, I hit a situation where it was no longer possible to resize the playing area horizontally and the areas on both sides (including History) were black. Luckily it was still possible to play. I can send a screen shot if necessary.

I haven't seen that. Please send a screen shot to support@bridgebase.com.

#127 User is offline   LionHeart1 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-06, 02:53

There are really some good improvements in the newest HTML5 version. But I noticed some new problems, or perhaps not new, at least new for me. As a TD I found extremely slow loading the list of tables (Director menu, show tables option). Sometimes it takes more than a minute and if I want to take a look at the tables still playing, the next round follows before showing it. The other thing that requires repair, to refresh the list of tourneys. If I change the options of a tourney (or by copying I enter a new tourney), I must switch to another menupoint and switch back in order to see the amendments. Is an automatic refreshment not possible?

#128 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-July-06, 06:44

>> We generally do create threads for discussions of new versions of things. But people still start their own threads. Or they don't read through the original thread before posting, and post repeats.
I like it when the title is preceded by "[OFFICIAL DISCUSSION] ", people get that easily.

>>There's an announcement in the "News"
It should be on the first page and/or in the Help too, I think.

>>Those arrow buttons are added whenever all the tab buttons don't fit into the sidebar. They're supposed to disappear when the sidebar is wide enough.
They didn't disappear even when I gave it almost half the screen width.
Although playing an Instant Tournament today (with less buttons?) the arrows were not there even whey I squeezed it quite tight.

>>I haven't seen that. Please send a screen shot to support@bridgebase.com.
Sent it.

#129 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-July-06, 19:07

View Postpescetom, on 2019-July-06, 06:44, said:

>>Those arrow buttons are added whenever all the tab buttons don't fit into the sidebar. They're supposed to disappear when the sidebar is wide enough.
They didn't disappear even when I gave it almost half the screen width.
Although playing an Instant Tournament today (with less buttons?) the arrows were not there even whey I squeezed it quite tight.

Yeah, I see what you mean.

This is because the font size of the History tab automatically adjusts when you resize the sidebar. So if the tab headings don't fit initially, they still dont fit when you expand the sidebar, because the font size increases proportionally.

#130 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-July-06, 19:07

View Postpescetom, on 2019-July-06, 06:44, said:

>> We generally do create threads for discussions of new versions of things. But people still start their own threads. Or they don't read through the original thread before posting, and post repeats.
I like it when the title is preceded by "[OFFICIAL DISCUSSION] ", people get that easily.

That assumes they even bother to look for an existing thread.

#131 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-July-07, 08:50

View Postbarmar, on 2019-July-06, 19:07, said:

That assumes they even bother to look for an existing thread.

I've seen it work well in other forums... maybe the moderators were also fairly proactive about closing or merging any duplicate threads.

#132 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-July-07, 08:53

View Postbarmar, on 2019-July-06, 19:07, said:

Yeah, I see what you mean.

This is because the font size of the History tab automatically adjusts when you resize the sidebar. So if the tab headings don't fit initially, they still dont fit when you expand the sidebar, because the font size increases proportionally.

Maybe wrap the text of each button on two lines? "Recent tournaments" is quite a long string after all.

#133 User is offline   lzrradu 

• Pip

Posted 2019-July-10, 12:52

will it be possible to sort tables by number of kibs?

#134 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-July-11, 09:35

View Postlzrradu, on 2019-July-10, 12:52, said:

will it be possible to sort tables by number of kibs?

When you use "List interesting tables to Watch", the number of kibs is a big factor, so tables with more kibitzers are at the top.

#135 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-13, 04:21

View Postbarmar, on 2019-July-11, 09:35, said:

When you use "List interesting tables to Watch", the number of kibs is a big factor, so tables with more kibitzers are at the top.

I just gave it a try and the list of interesting tables is showing not even one table of the main hall with many kibs.
result interesting tables:
3 x vugraph
4 x teams with kibs
3 x friends (including one more team table)
1 x star players (not sure why shown)

The list for interesting tables is producing something someone thought it would be helpful. It is a black box where you have no influence just the same way you are treated with advertisement. Some make sense most dont.

#136 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-July-14, 14:54

List Interesting Tables to Watch only shows the top 12 tables. Team games and Vugraph tend to have lots of kibitzers, so they naturally float to the top.

The formula used to rank interesting tables to watch is:

# people at the table (both players and kibs)
+
5 x # stars playing
+
20 x # friends who are playing
+
3 x # friends who are kibitzing

#137 User is offline   LionHeart1 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-29, 14:21

The History of a finished tournament is completely chaotic. It shows twice so many results as played, does not show the adjusted results, does not add the result of the last round to the final result, etc. If I see the results in the BBO-myhands, it is correct there.

#138 User is offline   LionHeart1 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-03, 14:21

View PostLionHeart1, on 2019-July-29, 14:21, said:

The History of a finished tournament is completely chaotic. It shows twice so many results as played, does not show the adjusted results, does not add the result of the last round to the final result, etc. If I see the results in the BBO-myhands, it is correct there.

The duplication of the results happens when one or more ones have been adjusted. Then you can see the calculated results both before and after the correction.

#139 User is offline   LionHeart1 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-03, 14:24

Another disfunction of the new BBO version:
I was TD and wanted to adjust 2 unfinished deals. There was no problem with the first, but when I wanted to adjust the second one, I saw the bids and play of the first one.

#140 User is offline   Georooney 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-August-14, 00:55

Add my name to the disgruntled players who have tried the new BBO. I am back to running the old version for as long as it remains up. After that, if the new version hasn't morphed back to looking, feeling and acting more like the old version, I'm afraid I'll be saying goodbye to my BBO friends and looking for another online Bridge program (not APP).

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users