• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new BBO program

#21 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-May-02, 11:10

View Postbarmar, on 2019-May-02, 11:04, said:

Most areas automatically refresh. I think the only place where you have to use the Refresh button is "List Interesting Tables". There's a Refresh button when you get a list of tables in a bridge club, but that's just if you're impatient. It will refresh itself periodically.

And this is identical to the way it was in the old version, I believe.

"List interesting tables" requires manual refresh because it's a more complicated calculation to determine which tables are interesting to you, and the results don't change so rapidly that it's necessary to keep updating.

#22 User is offline   tironis 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-May-02, 11:25

View Postbarmar, on 2019-May-02, 09:47, said:

If you use https: to go to the home page, then the link to the application will also use https: and you'll get a secure connection.

Yes this method of bringing up BBO does bring up an entirely different page which has options for both the new and old version. However, when I go to log in, it still brings up; "This connection is not secure. Logins entered here could be comprimed. Learn more." This is a warning from FireFox.

#23 User is offline   tironis 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-02, 11:46

View Postbarmar, on 2019-May-02, 10:03, said:

Can you explain what problem you're having with the box for the old version? It should link to

https://www.bridgeba...ts_this_v2.html

The last line on that page has a link that takes you to the old version, which is:

https://www.bridgeba...ient/client.php

And if you most recently used the old version, the home page should contain two buttons, labeled "New Version" and "Old Version".

Click on the box with the final contract, and the bidding diagram will pop up.

After you select a tournament, go to the Partnership Desk tab to see other players looking for partners. Click on one of their names and their profile will pop up.

There's a diagram with a vertical and horizontal card, and each has the number of tricks taken in that direction.

Widen the sidebar that contains your friend list. To the right of each name, it will say things like "Playing Solitaire", "Playing Tournament", "Playing Table (hostname)".

It's in the blue menu in the corner of the table.

Re: using the box for the old version: April 30th and May 1st I got message saying that it was no longer available and would route me to the 'v/3' site. At those times there did not seem to be anyway around this even when clicking on the bottom line. Today I am able to get to the older version using this bottom line link to older version.

I had used the older version earlier in April so was surprised when I logged in on 29th that there appeared to be no choice but to use the new version. There were not 2 buttons labeled 'new' and 'old'. However today when I use the https://bridgebase.com connection I do see a totally different page which does have these 2 buttons as options for signing in. BUT then using this approach to get to BBO, there is still a FireFox warning that the connection is not secure.

Thankyou for info on how to deal with the other issues. I will use the suggestions provided next time I play.

#24 User is offline   cantdefend 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-02, 14:04

Perhaps I missed the tutorial, which would help navigate through the new format. Wait, was there a tutorial? I don't see one.

I found it frustrating immediately following a 12-board Robot tournament. Upon completion, the last board suddenly disappeared, and I couldn't find it or results anywhere.

#25 User is offline   jo4bridge 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-02, 14:08

I enjoy playing Bridge Bingo (25 cents) and did not find it in the new version. Is it going to be available? If not, for that and other reasons already expressed in this forum, I vote to continue using the old program. :) :)

#26 User is offline   kenfree 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-02, 17:11

no one (with any authority) has responded to this concern, which i share: does it mean that our tons of categorigazation of other players is going to be lost? Is it really impossible to transfer this feature to the html version? Why? This will seriously impact my game...I cannot possibly remember all these players and their faults or virtues

#27 User is offline   carmelbobc 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-May-02, 20:21

I had this same issue for months. I, too, like to view "left to right." The new program had the History on the left and the board on the right. And, it was not easy to use GIB.

After many email exchanges with BBO support, here's what I'm pretty sure was going on. If you originally logged in with a somewhat small browser window, the program thinks you are on a mobile device and defaults to that version of the new program.

I'm not sure how I fixed it, but I think what I did was start fresh by accessing BBO from its website with a large browser window (that was the only way in which I could get the option to try the new program). When I clicked to do so, everything was as I like it. AND, the new program is a big improvement.

If this works for you, please do me a favor: I have requested that BBO us "T" rather than "10" in showing a hand. This way, all the suits line up nicely. That is, a suit with a "10" does not look longer than a similarly length suit without a "10."

Some bridge websites already do this, and it looks much better (for example, "skybridgeclub.com). After all, a T is an honor card just like an A, K, Q, or J.

#28 User is offline   Ssutham 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-03, 02:14

i cant find number of brds to play for any touney when drag mouse over tourney's name

#29 User is offline   gbenne 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-03, 02:54

As an IT person, I can say this is quite a hit and miss.

#30 User is offline   timorous 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-03, 03:17

I cannot find the bridge movies in the practice area.
Does it still exist, please?

#31 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-May-03, 03:18

Can please someone help me in finding my saved hands and the hand editor?
I found a way to load saved hands but no way to save them or at least not in a new Folder.

EDIT: Found the editor by exporting an existing hand but was not able to change the board manually card by card. Hope someone is working on it. Otherwise teaching with prepared boards will be nearly impossible.

#32 User is offline   frankgee 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-03, 03:25

please stop this program.
I found it very difficult to use

#33 User is offline   DaveRolyat 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-May-03, 04:06

I thibnk it looks clean and modern.
Everything is there, when you find it, and we'll all get used to it.
Even better, it now works through my work firewall.

#34 User is offline   mark_woz2 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-03, 04:30

There is a saying with just about everything that works well in this world, and it goes as follows : If it AINT broke, DONT FIX IT. I'm sorry, but if you consider your new version an upgrade, or an improvement, you need a reality check. It's clunky, the cards look like crap, no Matchpoints option, I had to scour my screen to find the trick counter, and I could continue. Suffice to say that if you dont allow the old version to run, I wont be playing on BBO anymore.

#35 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-May-03, 04:44

View Postmark_woz2, on 2019-May-03, 04:30, said:

There is a saying with just about everything that works well in this world, and it goes as follows : If it AINT broke, DONT FIX IT. I'm sorry, but if you consider your new version an upgrade, or an improvement, you need a reality check. It's clunky, the cards look like crap, no Matchpoints option, I had to scour my screen to find the trick counter, and I could continue. Suffice to say that if you dont allow the old version to run, I wont be playing on BBO anymore.

Comment the first: If you are too stupid to figure out how to play Matchpoints with the new software, maybe you aren't the right person to be hectoring others on software design

Comment the second: The previous version was badly broken. It ran over Adobe Flash and Flash is being deprecated because it had a myriad of security problems. In a few months time, its not going to work on most browsers. This is not any choice that BBO is making, but rather a fundamental change in the ecosystem.
Alderaan delenda est

#36 User is offline   susiecc 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-03, 07:43

There are quite a few issues with this version. One of the things that really bothers me is how they've laid out the table. When playing with bots that are declaring, the played cards are no longer centered in the middle of the play. What used to feel like a table now looks like a bunch of rectangles with no proper alignment to make it more bridge tableish.

Not only is this disturbing, the size of everything seems to be way out of proportion. Even with plenty of room, the bigness of everything makes the play uncomfortable. Some of the rectangles that hold text cut the text off and based on the size of everything, I don't understand why that occurs.

Play is also very sluggish...choppy.

I'm not happy at all with this. I've been sending support complaints, but nothing seems to be changing.

#37 User is offline   notrump4s 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-03, 07:48

How do you find the saved hands. I cannot see them.

#38 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-03, 10:24

View Posttironis, on 2019-May-02, 11:25, said:

Yes this method of bringing up BBO does bring up an entirely different page which has options for both the new and old version. However, when I go to log in, it still brings up; "This connection is not secure. Logins entered here could be comprimed. Learn more." This is a warning from FireFox.

This has been corrected. The home page now automatically switches to a secure connection, and everything you go to from there does as well.

#39 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-03, 10:31

View Postjo4bridge, on 2019-May-02, 14:08, said:

I enjoy playing Bridge Bingo (25 cents) and did not find it in the new version. Is it going to be available? If not, for that and other reasons already expressed in this forum, I vote to continue using the old program. :) :)

Bridge Bingo is not yet available in the new version. We're not sure yet when it will be added -- it's different enough from other games that it's quite a bit of work.

#40 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-03, 10:36

View Postfrankgee, on 2019-May-03, 03:25, said:

please stop this program.
I found it very difficult to use

The old version is going to stop working next year, it's out of our control. We have to replace it.

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users