• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB off 3 aces

#21 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-April-28, 22:02

View Postahydra, on 2019-April-28, 21:59, said:

Good points, but I'd describe a 15-card hand as being a rather atypical minimum... :)

ahydra

:) What's a couple of clubs between friends? I meant to show 4 clubs, but my keyboard got carried away.

Cheers,
Mike

#22 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-April-29, 01:08

I admit I am glad it is no longer myself against the rest of the world in this thread.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#23 User is offline   hiei81 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-April-29, 17:03

Ugh... so nowadays no one opens 3H with West's hand? Wasn't that a textbook weak 3 opening?

#24 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-29, 18:43

View Postahydra, on 2019-April-27, 01:23, said:

IMPs, none vul

Any blame for getting to 5 missing three aces, or just unlucky that we had virtually every other point in the pack?

ahydra

This is just my opinion, based on what I have read what others have said.
I would not open the west hand 3 or 4H, not first hand. Too strong for that. I would open it 1 heart.
But, in response to the negative double, I would simply go 3H. No need to go further.

#25 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-29, 21:07

View Postcherdano, on 2019-April-29, 01:08, said:

I admit I am glad it is no longer myself against the rest of the world in this thread.

I always agree with you, whatever that's worth! (Nothing)
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#26 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2019-April-29, 23:05

I think that west’s second call is close. However, while we have every reason to think that 3H may miss a decent game, the opps. Are white and one of them is preemption. So we have more room were he to have a great hand. That he did is coincidental, but nobody can say it’s implausible

One has to compromise: show a good one suiter, with some extras. Now the risk of getting overboard is clear. Four slam purposes, we need a side A or more.

That’s what happened here and while I think the diamond cards are not worth much, the rest of the hand is good, and the diamonds may let partner create a morton’s Fork coup later.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#27 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-30, 02:15

View Posthiei81, on 2019-April-29, 17:03, said:

Ugh... so nowadays no one opens 3H with West's hand? Wasn't that a textbook weak 3 opening?

You must have different textbooks. Terence Reese for instance cites the following as an ideal 3M opening: KQJ9832 7 T83 62. None of his examples of opening 3 bid have more than a J on the side. Goren simply says that most of the points should be in your long suit, but this hand doesn't even meet that.

#28 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-May-01, 12:04

ahydra writes 'IMPs, none vul. Any blame for getting to 5 missing three aces, or just unlucky that we had virtually every other point in the pack?'
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IMO, mostly bad luck.

View Postcherdano, on 2019-April-27, 23:52, said:

You guys are being harsh on West. If East had KJxx xx xxx Axxx and EW played in 3+1 who'd get the blame? Yes I know there might be a ruff, but still I think it's easy to visualise many minimum doubles of 3 that would make game decent.
Here are some bids I hate much much more:
- The suggested 4 opening. I just don't get it. Why? We have two defensive cards, we have good defense against 4, I just see no reason to bid one more than the normal 3.
- Double. Isn't this a completely normal 3N bid?
- 4N. This is way too aggressive - I think two keycards+Q is one of the most likely hands for partner and we are in 6 off two keycards for no reason. I am doubtful any move is justified, as 5 will often be down on a ruff, and we need a lot of cards from partner; but if we do move, it has to be another bid.

View Postcherdano, on 2019-April-29, 01:08, said:

Cherdano might not welcome my support but I respect his arguments.

View Postpescetom, on 2019-April-30, 02:15, said:

You must have different textbooks. Terence Reese for instance cites the following as an ideal 3M opening: KQJ9832 7 T83 62. None of his examples of opening 3 bid have more than a J on the side. Goren simply says that most of the points should be in your long suit, but this hand doesn't even meet that.
IMO, Terence Reese would have tolerated a 3 opening on this hand. Famously, he criticized predictable preempts: "A preempt, known to be weak, is a blunt sword ".

#29 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-01, 12:31

View Postnige1, on 2019-May-01, 12:04, said:

IMO, Terence Reese would have tolerated a 3 opening on this hand. Famously, he criticized predictable preempts: "A preempt, known to be weak, is a blunt sword ".

Yes that's very Reese B-)
I was just pointing out that this is more a case of textbook limits than of textbook ideal.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users