• You cannot reply to this topic

The new Intermediate Jump Shifts

#1 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2019-April-14, 14:15

To let me know where I am coming from:
I play intermediate jump shifts with a couple partners but am not an expert in them. I would like to play them more but can't get partner's to give up Bergen which is popular in my region.
But the way Gib is playing IJS isn't close to what I am used to.
But what really annoys me is the lack of update in the documentations. There have been small changes in the past that has gone undocumented but a jump shift change seems significant.
Robot convention card can be found at : Gib notes

Ok this hand in particular. MP 3C
This was MP. Bidding was 1-3
Gib has a 7-card solid clubs. What can I have to go forward? I can't have a club honour and am unlikely to have club support and stoppers in reds .
I'm sure you can construct a hand where I can bid 3N or something else but then slam might be there.
Surely Gib's hand is worth a GF and taking a shot at 3N if nothing else looks good?
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#2 User is offline   bixby 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-December-11, 14:47

Can I mention that I hate, hate, hate the robots' intermediate jump shifts?

I've tried to give them a fair amount of time so that I could get used to them, but I still get a feeling of dread every time they come up. As far as I can see, they are an "invitation" to disaster.

I'm not going to argue about the theory of which kind of jump shift is best. I assume the ultimate goal of programming the robots is to maximize customer satisfaction. So I want to register my strong dislike of this bid. I think the only thing I dislike more is when I use RKCB and GIB jumps to the six level because it has a void.

I understand that we don't get to pick and choose what agreements the robots are going to play. I'm sure whatever the programmers do to make some customers happy makes other customers unhappy. But boy, intermediate jump shifts make me unhappy, and I wanted that on the record.

#3 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2019-December-11, 15:39

View Poststeve2005, on 2019-April-14, 14:15, said:

I play intermediate jump shifts with a couple partners but am not an expert in them. I would like to play them more but can't get partner's to give up Bergen which is popular in my region.
But what really annoys me is the lack of update in the documentations. There have been small changes in the past that has gone undocumented but a jump shift change seems significant.

Gib has a 7-card solid clubs. What can I have to go forward? I can't have a club honour and am unlikely to have club support and stoppers in reds .
I'm sure you can construct a hand where I can bid 3N or something else but then slam might be there.
Surely Gib's hand is worth a GF and taking a shot at 3N if nothing else looks good?

In my opinion the biggest problem with this treatment is that we have no idea what kind of hand of GIB can have. Is it a solid suit like your example, or is it something like Ax xxx Kx KJ9765? We never know. This is just one more example of why GIB is such a difficult partner to play with. Personally, I'd rather it have most, if not all the values, in one of the minors. No broken suits please, but I'd rather make a 2/1 with AKQxxxx.

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-11, 15:41

View Poststeve2005, on 2019-April-14, 14:15, said:

IJS are becoming moderately popular here too - I can't see any obvious superiority to WJS or FJS or even a traditional SJS come to that, but any agreement is playable I guess. I agree that the lack of updates in GIB documentation is censurable, and not just for this.

I don't see why you are upset by this particular board, however. Assuming you were South with the spades (the diagram puts you in North, which I think is a crazy historic bug of BBO) then your partner has (more than) what he claims, and it doesn't seem wildly optimistic with your actual hand to bid 3NT - with slam interest you have ways of going forwards and with a worse hand 3C is still a valid place to die.

#5 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2019-December-11, 15:45

View Postbixby, on 2019-December-11, 14:47, said:

Can I mention that I hate, hate, hate the robots' intermediate jump shifts?

I've tried to give them a fair amount of time so that I could get used to them, but I still get a feeling of dread every time they come up. As far as I can see, they are an "invitation" to disaster.

I'm not going to argue about the theory of which kind of jump shift is best. I assume the ultimate goal of programming the robots is to maximize customer satisfaction. So I want to register my strong dislike of this bid. I think the only thing I dislike more is when I use RKCB and GIB jumps to the six level because it has a void.

I understand that we don't get to pick and choose what agreements the robots are going to play. I'm sure whatever the programmers do to make some customers happy makes other customers unhappy. But boy, intermediate jump shifts make me unhappy, and I wanted that on the record.

I'm with you all the way when it is used the way it is now. Too much variety as to what kind of hand GIB can have.

#6 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-11, 16:21

IJS are good. GIB's lack of understanding of when to actually use them is bad.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users