Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding Question

#1 User is offline   bixby 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-March-20, 08:42

Recently, playing in a robot game on BBO, I opened 1D in second seat and the bidding went:

(P) - 1D - (1S) - 2S
(P) - ?

As expected, 2S was described as limit raise or better in diamonds, 11+ total points. I had 15 HCP and stoppers in all the suits, so I innocently bid 3NT. My robot partner raised to 6NT. Then I checked the description of my 3NT bid and saw that it showed 18-19 HCP! I went down one.

Now, I know I could have checked the meaning of 3NT before bidding it, but why would it show so many points? My partner had shown 11, I had 15, all the suits were stopped, so it seemed obvious to bid game in NT. What other bid could I have made to force to game in NT without risking going beyond 3NT? If I'd bid 2NT, couldn't partner pass? And if I'd bid 3 of a suit, couldn't partner go on to 4D? So I don't see what I was supposed to do.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-March-20, 10:04

I've moved this question to the GIB forum, as this is an ideosyncracy of the robots. I think most humans would assume your intended meaning.

I think I had a similar auction yesterday or today, the robot took me to 6. Luckily, it made.

#3 User is offline   StanR 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-March-20, 10:09

What would 3S mean?

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-March-20, 13:23

Is 2NT really non-forcing, given partner can correct to 3 with a minimum (having already said they're willing to play at the three level)?

#5 User is offline   cvcherry 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-March-21, 05:32

Maybe in gib system, 2 is forcing to 3, so if you bid 2NT, North can't pass?

#6 User is offline   debstander 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-March-21, 20:31

I empathize completely, bixby. I've just started playing online again after an absence of several years and I'm going nuts with the robot bids. I just bid a small slam based on a 4NT Ace-ask and my robot told me it had 5 Diamonds. Where I come from, that used to mean they had one Ace. So since I had the other 3, I went to six. Well, my robot partner didn't have any aces at all! I was down 1.

This is just not right....particularly since we are paying to enter these tournaments. If the robot partners aren't reliable or have crazy rules that only they seem to know...how can this be fair to us users? I'm afraid I have no idea what the GIB system is -- and am wondering how I can even find out.

#7 User is offline   cvcherry 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-March-21, 20:33

View Postdebstander, on 2019-March-21, 20:31, said:

I empathize completely, bixby. I've just started playing online again after an absence of several years and I'm going nuts with the robot bids. I just bid a small slam based on a 4NT Ace-ask and my robot told me it had 5 Diamonds. Where I come from, that used to mean they had one Ace. So since I had the other 3, I went to six. Well, my robot partner didn't have any aces at all! I was down 1.

This is just not right....particularly since we are paying to enter these tournaments. If the robot partners aren't reliable or have crazy rules that only they seem to know...how can this be fair to us users? I'm afraid I have no idea what the GIB system is -- and am wondering how I can even find out.

If 4NT is blackwood then it's no reason. So I suppose in some specific auction 4NT isn't blackwood but natrual? Could you post the whole auction

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-March-21, 20:50

View Postsmerriman, on 2019-March-20, 13:23, said:

Is 2NT really non-forcing, given partner can correct to 3 with a minimum (having already said they're willing to play at the three level)?

Opener could have 3 diamonds only, so there's some rationale for playing 2NT as NF.

This is the joy of playing 15-17 1NT. Probably best to play 2NT as forcing anyway.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users