BBO Discussion Forums: 1000th! - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

1000th!

#1 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-March-07, 01:37

A funny number for the score I wrote yesterday after a bidding error from opponents.

1S - p - 4H - p
7S - X - p - p
XX - all pass

-2 red

This illustrates a basic rule for n/b but also for all. Conventions are great (not all, though), but even greater is to play the same ones as partner. Opener played splinters but not responder in that case. The reason to XX except gifting us an extra 500 (at no MP cost for them) remains obscure to me, though. Maybe he was playing SOS redoubles but not his partner🤣🤣🤣

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-07, 09:53

It all looks very obscure to me. I find it hard to imagine what a natural 4H over 1S might be and even harder to imagine a 1S hand that can jump to grand after a splinter. Redouble is easier to understand, a beginner with a hot head or just messing around.

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-07, 10:27

View Postpescetom, on 2019-March-07, 09:53, said:

It all looks very obscure to me. I find it hard to imagine what a natural 4H over 1S might be and even harder to imagine a 1S hand that can jump to grand after a splinter. Redouble is easier to understand, a beginner with a hot head or just messing around.

AKxxxxx, Axxx, AK, void can pretty much jump to 7 opposite the splinter, but if partner has no spades would be in the -2 region

#4 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-07, 15:46

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-March-07, 10:27, said:

AKxxxxx, Axxx, AK, void can pretty much jump to 7 opposite the splinter, but if partner has no spades would be in the -2 region

Yes opener had some kind of big lopsided 2-suiter with spade losers « covered » by the splinter but not as many hearts considering his partner had a wagon of them already! I didn’t focus that much on the hand given the misunderstanding and I am not even sure 7S was a good call. Tbh I didn’t want to step into their « explanation » after the scoring!

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-March-07, 21:16

If the opponents were a long standing partnership, then the bidding error is one of those "a cow flew by" (coined by S. J. Simon) moments that occurs from time to time.

If the opponents were a relatively new or pick up partnership, then the partners ought to consider making other bids that might not be misconstrued. But that isn't necessarily fool proof either. In this case, a WJS to 3 , if that's applicable followed by 4 , if possible. In a 2/1 context maybe a forcing NT followed by bids.

If opener had cyberyeti's hand and there were any doubt about whether 4 were a splinter or not, opener might bid 5 NT. 5NT can only be pick a slam or some sort of GSF. Whatever responder bids would get you to the right strain.

OTOH, if opener has a big 2 suiter implying some sort of shortness, maybe opener should consider how likely it is that partner also has shortness.

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-08, 03:31

View Postrmnka447, on 2019-March-07, 21:16, said:

If the opponents were a long standing partnership, then the bidding error is one of those "a cow flew by" (coined by S. J. Simon) moments that occurs from time to time.

If the opponents were a relatively new or pick up partnership, then the partners ought to consider making other bids that might not be misconstrued. But that isn't necessarily fool proof either. In this case, a WJS to 3 , if that's applicable followed by 4 , if possible. In a 2/1 context maybe a forcing NT followed by bids.

If opener had cyberyeti's hand and there were any doubt about whether 4 were a splinter or not, opener might bid 5 NT. 5NT can only be pick a slam or some sort of GSF. Whatever responder bids would get you to the right strain.

OTOH, if opener has a big 2 suiter implying some sort of shortness, maybe opener should consider how likely it is that partner also has shortness.

A friend once played in a 1-0 fit at the 4 level thinking partner couldn't possibly have a splinter in these circumstances

#7 User is offline   etha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-March-08, 05:31

the only bidding misunderstanding I ever noticed from Lauria Versace was a 1 4 auction presumably they had changed the meaning recently.

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-08, 08:41

View Postetha, on 2019-March-08, 05:31, said:

the only bidding misunderstanding I ever noticed from Lauria Versace was a 1 4 auction presumably they had changed the meaning recently.

I had a partner who was adamant we should maintain 1 4 as natural, so we played 1M-3NT as splinter in the other major. Of course you can have a midsunderstanding over that, too.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users