Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Behaviour of top players

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-February-17, 17:13

I must say it is a great thing for the game when two teams of world class players called Empathy and Respect argue with opps over bids, speed of play, stage sit down protests and walk out of tournaments

Its a great example of the spirit of the game and how it should be played and great for international relations :)

Irony is certainly not dead

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-18, 04:24

Could you please attach a link or some contextual detail ?

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-18, 04:52

I've got no idea who these players might be, but if didn't know already, anybody can be a world class player on BBO just by choosing World Class on a dropdown box in their profile.

I think in general, these fake World Class players are worse than the average BBO player and behave much worse than average.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-February-19, 09:34

View Postjohnu, on 2019-February-18, 04:52, said:

I've got no idea who these players might be, but if didn't know already, anybody can be a world class player on BBO just by choosing World Class on a dropdown box in their profile.

I think in general, these fake World Class players are worse than the average BBO player and behave much worse than average.

"stage sit down protests" and "walk out of tournaments" doesn't seem to be applicable to BBO, so I don't think they were talking about BBO player levels.

#5 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-20, 21:06

View Postbarmar, on 2019-February-19, 09:34, said:

"stage sit down protests" and "walk out of tournaments" doesn't seem to be applicable to BBO, so I don't think they were talking about BBO player levels.

I don't think those behaviors are especially applicable to live tournaments. There are tournament directors that can handle speed of play and unexplained or misexplained bids, and restoring order. Walking out of tournaments after you have started would be subject to some serious discipline penalties and suspensions in most jurisdictions.

The OP can explain.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-February-21, 10:19

View Postjohnu, on 2019-February-20, 21:06, said:

I don't think those behaviors are especially applicable to live tournaments.

True, it's applicable to all tourneys in general. But BBO skill levels are not relevant outside BBO, so I doubt that's what he was talking about when he said these were world class players. I assume he meant the normal interpretation of those words.

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2019-February-21, 13:52

I suspect he is making things up: at least if he is discussing non-BBO bridge.

WC teams do not, in my experience, use names such as Empathy or Respect. Teams are usually named after their country (if playing as representatives in a WC event) or after the sponsor (non-playing or playing). I have played, for example, against Beijing Power in one WC event, but that was in an event that was, in essence, open (what used to be called the Rosenblum). Playing a similar team in the Bermuda Bowl, they were 'China'.

WC players generally are exemplary in their behaviour, which is unsurprising since they tend to be professionals who make their living at the game, and most times, certainly in the late stages of events, are playing against friends. Even players like Fantunes, who cheated, were very polite at the table.

As for BBO, the truly WC players I have seen on BBO are more likely to have their skill level as 'private' than as WC.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-February-22, 10:56

View Postmikeh, on 2019-February-21, 13:52, said:

I suspect he is making things up: at least if he is discussing non-BBO bridge.

WC teams do not, in my experience, use names such as Empathy or Respect.

Good point, I frequently see fanciful names like this in BBO team games.

I still wonder what a "sit down protest" looks like on BBO. Also, the games with team names like that are often set games between friends.

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-23, 15:42

View Postbarmar, on 2019-February-22, 10:56, said:

I still wonder what a "sit down protest" looks like on BBO.

Launching a bizarre thread and then abandoning it for 5 days ignoring all questions must be some kind of sit down protest, I guess.

#10 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-February-25, 18:44

View Postthepossum, on 2019-February-17, 17:13, said:

I must say it is a great thing for the game when two teams of world class players called Empathy and Respect argue with opps over bids, speed of play, stage sit down protests and walk out of tournaments

Its a great example of the spirit of the game and how it should be played and great for international relations :)

Irony is certainly not dead

This makes no sense.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users