BBO Discussion Forums: Question about dummy touching Cards - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question about dummy touching Cards ACBL rules question

#1 User is offline   slohand 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-February-17, 08:46

While playing in an unsanctioned local club duplicate game, the play emptied two of dummy's suits. During a pause, dummy reached and separated the two remaining suits as they had become slightly ragged. Opponent at that time took exception and reached over pushing the suits back together and insinuated dummy was trying to confuse the opponents as to what trump was. Further, dummy was not aware of their mis-action, if any. Opponent accused dummy of purposely trying to gain some advantage by subterfuge. This created a stir, so I came home and googled the ACBL rules but can find no offending reference to dummy's actions. Beginning with rule 41 on dummy is laid out but no mention is made. I can see everyone's point of view in retrospect but i would like to know the rule if anyone can help. Thanking you in advance. Slohand12

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2019-February-17, 22:10

45 F Dummy Indicates Card
After dummy's hand is faced, dummy may not
touch or indicate any card (except for purpose of
arrangement) without instruction from declarer.

Rules didnt say can only arrange dummy at beginning of play. Sanity surely should prevail. Who hasn't rearrange dummy when it becomes messy?
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-February-19, 09:31

Why would straightening out the cards confuse anyone about which suit is trump? As long as the trump suit is still on dummy's right, there shouldn't be any problem.

#4 User is offline   slohand 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-February-19, 10:00

Thanks for your logical answers. I am now better educated. Slohand

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-19, 15:27

View Postbarmar, on 2019-February-19, 09:31, said:

Why would straightening out the cards confuse anyone about which suit is trump? As long as the trump suit is still on dummy's right, there shouldn't be any problem.

Perhaps if dummy no longer has trumps and the adjacent suit is moved right... but even so opponents still missed a good chance to keep quiet.

#6 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-February-19, 18:02

One matter that is clear is that an opponent touching dummy's cards without permission is in violation of Law 7B3.

#7 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-22, 20:32

Steve and Peter are both right.

As declarer, I would have called the director. As director I would have ruled that dummy has done nothing wrong and that the defender has violated Law 7B3 and Law 74A2. The former rates a procedural penalty. If the Zero Tolerance policy is in effect, the insinuation is a ZT violation which requires a disciplinary penalty. So the defense rates to lose half a board in penalties. That may seem harsh, but I'll bet that defender won't make those mistakes again.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users