• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another comparable call

#21 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-February-19, 10:13

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-February-17, 15:28, said:

Jesus "A 1♠ overcall of a 1♥ opening replacing a 1♠ opening in first or second seat OOT is not comparable." depends what you overcall on, our simple overcalls are the same range as our opening bids, so why not ?

That guidance is apparently assuming the common style where a 1-level overcall can be significantly lighter than an opening 1 bid. But it's less common for 2-level overcalls, so I don't think you can automatically treat it as applying to this case (although these days I see many 2-level overcalls that boggle my mind).

#22 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-February-19, 14:49

View Postbarmar, on 2019-February-19, 10:13, said:

That guidance is apparently assuming the common style where a 1-level overcall can be significantly lighter than an opening 1 bid. But it's less common for 2-level overcalls, so I don't think you can automatically treat it as applying to this case (although these days I see many 2-level overcalls that boggle my mind).

It depends what you jump on, if you play intermediate, are you going to let AQJ10xx(x) and out go past ? As I said we have people round here who insist on playing that a simple overcall shows less than a sound opening bid.

#23 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-February-19, 15:20

View PostVampyr, on 2019-February-18, 17:31, said:

We have around 15 club and county directors, and a few who aren’t qualified but also direct. The movement director will usually not be one of these people. We find that spreading the tasks around makes it easier for the people involved. I am pretty sure that we get more volunteers this way.

I like that idea, especially as aptitude for movement direction and law decisions only rarely coincide, whatever the qualifications.
Unfortunately our national regulations are quite strict that director cannot play in a federal tournament and also don't seem to contemplate a division of responsibility between movement and decisions (although a non-qualified person can direct minor club-only tournaments).

#24 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2019-February-21, 21:57

Being that it was a 2-level overcall, 2 being close to a minimum opening bid (at least) and showing 5+ clubs is a subset of hands with 3+ or 4+ clubs, so this is clearly comparable and the auction continues normally with no enforced passes (or any lead penalties if becoming defenders).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users