Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Leading partner's bid suit Robot fails miserably

#1 User is offline   oldoc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-January-02, 14:21

Over the course of 100 defensive hands Robot failed to lead partner's bid suit 77 times. Of the 77 times, 5 were K A, 5 were three card sequences, 6 were top of nothing, 6 were singletons and 27 were doubletons. 42 of these 77 leads resulted in a net loss of 1 or more tricks. The 23 leads of partner's suit resulted in a net defensive trick loss 4 times. Robot is a p-poor defensive leader!

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2019-January-02, 14:37

the robots leads are infuriating at best. mid hand leads are even worse for example 1N 3N lead of 2 of a suit small doubleton in the dummy, robot has AQxxx wins ace and switches. does this sort of ***** all the time lol
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is online   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-January-09, 18:08

Hi

Without having analysed this statistically my crude observation is that it varies according to the auction and contract. One infuriating IMP hand as an example where only one table bid an "unwinnable" slam when the bot did not lead partners suit in defence. Everyone else bid to game and defence did lead partners suit. Why? It clearly shows that a good strategy in robot games is to bid unusual/unwinnable bids and GIB plays worse. :( I know there is an aspect of confirmation bias here since I havent collected data like you but I was just about to post the hand as an example along with the accepted guidelines for suit leads on another thread :)

The hand before I was defending and my robot partner led to my opening bid, sitting with AKQ we brought the contract down 3. Its a fairly well accepted guideline of leading against suits

Does the simulation analysis show that if partner has length in a suit then there is higher risk of the lead being ruffed.

Surely a smart algorithm would combine logical rules with simulations. Maybe it does, but with leads there doesnt seem much logic

PS I do understand that writing bridge playing programs is hard but humans use heuristics to guide any other form of analysis

regards P

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users