BBO Discussion Forums: lead from QT2 in partner's suit at NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

lead from QT2 in partner's suit at NT

#1 User is offline   kereru67 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-December-03, 21:00

I made what I thought was the standard lead of the low card from QT2 in a suit my partner bid. Dummy had Kx and played low, partner played J and won, then lead out the A to capture dummy's K. I was unable to unblock, and partner had no side entry, so the contract made. (Yes he could have ducked a trick to dummy's K to maintain communication but he wasn't such a great player).

My question - is it better to lead the 10 from this combination? I still don't really like leading the Q from this because the K might very well be on my right.

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-December-03, 21:14

Low is standard. K being on the right isn't really the issue, it's more AJx or KJx on your right, then leading high gives declarer a double stopper.

#3 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2018-December-03, 21:20

In order to better answer your question in this specific sequence I need to see the bidding and your entire hand.

#4 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-03, 22:03

2 is the normal lead.

(Near)-expert players will sometimes figure out from the bidding and the entire hand that the Q is the better lead, more rarely the T.

#5 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-03, 22:15

If I am worried about the blockage I am much more likely to lead the 10 rather than the queen. It retains flexibility in the suit and is not as committal overall.

And yes, it is worth thinking about.

#6 User is offline   kereru67 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-December-03, 22:48

Anything with 2 honours carries the risk that leading low will block the suit. This also applies to holdings like KJx. I had a few points here and there and reason to believe that my p had very little outside his suit. So maybe under the circumstances Q or T was a better lead.

#7 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2018-December-04, 02:20

You don't mention whether your partner overcalled in their suit. If they did,I would be more inclined to lead it. As beginners,we are taught to lead
partners suit but this advice should be tempered with common sense as we grow more experienced. Bridge players are not automatons(!)
If an alternative suit was available,I would prefer to lead it and get a look at dummy rather than blindly follow "tradition" Posted Image
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#8 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-04, 03:14

As other's have said, it would help to know the hand and bidding. But if partner's suit is AJXX(X) (5 HCP) it is unfortunate that he had no other entry. Was partner's bid a one-level overcall?

#9 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-04, 06:40

I think leading the T is quite normal when you know from the auction and your hand that partner is unlikely to have an entry. Say you have 10 hcp and they bid 3N.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#10 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-04, 06:46

If partner has bid the suit freely and not just as a response to my opening bid, I am going to lead the Q

#11 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-04, 11:32

I depends on what the bidding said about your partner's hand. You knew the suit, but did they show values? If they showed something like an opening hand, then you can expect an outside entry and lead the 2. If partner's hand is a preempt, they don't promise any other way into their hand and you should lead the T.

#12 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-04, 16:27

I have seen many examples when it is right to lead a middle or 2nd best card, ie from KJ9(x) when a surrounding play may be available as well as an unblock as here.

I have NEVER seen the top card recommended. Leading the Queen could catch dummy with Ax and declarer with Jxx blowing a trick.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#13 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2018-December-04, 17:48

View Postggwhiz, on 2018-December-04, 16:27, said:

I have NEVER seen the top card recommended. Leading the Queen could catch dummy with Ax and declarer with Jxx blowing a trick.

The top card is right when you expect declarer to be short in the suit.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#14 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-December-05, 00:15

View Postcherdano, on 2018-December-04, 17:48, said:

The top card is right when you expect declarer to be short in the suit.

The OP is leading partner's known suit, which implies that they bid it and then declarer bid NT anyway. While sometimes players will consider Kx or Ax a sufficient stopper, it's not something you can generally expect.

#15 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2018-December-05, 01:23

View Postbarmar, on 2018-December-05, 00:15, said:

The OP is leading partner's known suit, which implies that they bid it and then declarer bid NT anyway. While sometimes players will consider Kx or Ax a sufficient stopper, it's not something you can generally expect.

Yes of course. If you had read my post, you would have realized that I only reacted to the claim that the Q is never the recommended card.

#16 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-05, 01:37

View Postbarmar, on 2018-December-05, 00:15, said:

I think cherdano might have been talking about declarer being shorter than that in the suit.

#17 User is offline   pes_6 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-December-05, 03:56

Q

#18 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-05, 12:24

it's impossible to say what the best lead is without knowing the auction. For example, does the auction suggest that partner has good values, hence no shortage of entries? In that case leading low is probably correct. On the other hand if the bidding went something like (1D) - 1S - (X) - P - (3D) - P - (3NT) it now suggests that oppo will have plenty of tricks unless you can cash yours first, in which case the lead of the queen looks correct.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users