• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lead J from KQJ... ...should I have?

#21 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-December-02, 17:02

View PostTramticket, on 2018-December-02, 03:56, said:

You know that West has diamonds. West's diamonds might be AJTXX. 2D doubled could be very expensive if IMPs - do you really want to compete for a risky part-score? But strengthen the suit quality (give yourself the J as well) and it becomes more reasonable.

Come on. For one thing, West might pass with AJTxx. For another, on a more typical layout, West has AJx, and you contribute 2-3 tricks on defense versus 1NT, versus 7-8 tricks when declaring 2. Bidding 2 seems obvious to me.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#22 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-03, 02:39

View Postcherdano, on 2018-December-02, 17:02, said:

Come on. For one thing, West might pass with AJTxx. For another, on a more typical layout, West has AJx, and you contribute 2-3 tricks on defense versus 1NT, versus 7-8 tricks when declaring 2. Bidding 2 seems obvious to me.

Maybe I am being too pessimistic, but whilst the chances of going two-off doubled are low, they are not insignificant and opps are well places to double if this is right. Meanwhile, to get any upside at this vulnerability you need to make 2 with 1NT also making. But much of the time when partner has a little something to help you make two diamonds (JX in diamonds maybe?) a diamond lead will be beating 1NT - often by several tricks.

#23 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-December-03, 05:00

I accept that 2 bid was probably way2go. :unsure: I get it wrong often enough!

I should point out that this was on BBO, in the casual play rooms, where you often don't know anything about your pick-up partner. I was thinking, with hindsight, of how to optimise one's chances regardless of partner's ability. In live bridge at my local club (where - if I may be so bold - the standard is perhaps a wee bit higher than BBO), I know most of my partners and would trust them better!

Does this sound pompous? If so, sorry.

Another BBO moment. Partner (a different one) saw fit to 'rescue' my 2 opening (weak 2) into 2 - despite holding three hearts in their hand. I 'trusted' partner and left it in 2. Defence hadn't intervened. Needless to say, holding nine hearts, hearts not being trumps, we were seriously exposed to a ruff by defence - and that's exactly what happened! I had a few 'words' with partner over that - I tried to be as gentle as I could.

Probably best not to make a habit of it...

#24 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-03, 05:53

View Post661_Pete, on 2018-December-03, 05:00, said:

Another BBO moment. Partner (a different one) saw fit to 'rescue' my 2 opening (weak 2) into 2 - despite holding three hearts in their hand. I 'trusted' partner and left it in 2.

You don't give the hands, but are you sure that the 2 bid was a rescue? In my experience, there are at least three ways to play the bid:
1. A rescue (partnerships who open weak 2s on revolting 5-card suits headed by the 9 tend to favour this method).
2. Constructive, but non-forcing.
3. Forcing (the method that I favour).

Playing with me, you would not be showing "trust" by passing 2.

#25 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-December-03, 13:17

View Post661_Pete, on 2018-December-03, 05:00, said:

Another BBO moment. Partner (a different one) saw fit to 'rescue' my 2 opening (weak 2) into 2 - despite holding three hearts in their hand. I 'trusted' partner and left it in 2. Defence hadn't intervened. Needless to say, holding nine hearts, hearts not being trumps, we were seriously exposed to a ruff by defence - and that's exactly what happened! I had a few 'words' with partner over that - I tried to be as gentle as I could.

This auction is one of those that is difficult with a pickup partner as you've never discussed it. It's also one that will be in the discussion of any pair that has time to discuss what they are playing, such as a pickup partnership at a club game where you go over the convention card.

My sense is that more people play new suits over weak 2s by an unpassed hand as forcing than don't. If your partner was a passed hand, then you were correct and partner should have raised or passed. If partner was unpassed, it's possible that partner was showing and looking for a feature in your hand in order to bid game. With something like AKQxx xxx x Kxx, game is a good bet if you can show a feature in a minor or show solid .

#26 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-03, 18:40

In ACBL-land, if a new suit over a weak 2 is non-forcing by an unpassed hand, an alert has to be given.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users