BBO Discussion Forums: Hole in the nt ladder in balancing seat - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hole in the nt ladder in balancing seat

#1 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-November-29, 00:37

Holding a balanced 16 I doubled as 1nt would be 11-14. P jumped to 2h. I bid 2nt but that apparently was 19-21.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-November-29, 03:01

Helene: there are always holes in ladders, but this one looks like it's has a few broken rungs too :)

The balancing seat is always fraught with problems, especially on the first round, as opener may occasionally trap pass with a good hand knowing partner has nowt and watch the opponents flounder towards a hopeless contract as they try to define their 'not necessarily discussed' values. With GIB it's even harder as no prior discussion can take place, though having a space as large as 15-18 balanced not catered for looks ridiculous. That's why I always played 2NT in the balancing seat as (18)19-20(21) balanced, not Unusual.

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-29, 04:25

I would rebid 1NT. Some would say that is against the rules, but GIB is playing unfair B-) If BBO won't accept the bid, hit the redeal buttom :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users