• You cannot reply to this topic

Inverted Forcing Pass? I know, I need this like I need a hole in the head

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-November-11, 01:14

We had a very enjoyable game in the final of the Teams game tonight against a good team who knew what they were doing,
were ethical, friendy and all had identical, fully completed convention cards. :)

I was chatting to one of my opponents about their forcing pass and he mentioned that he was playing "Inverted" Forcing Pass
I was not able to get more information as my partner and team mates wanted to finish up, score up and get home so I'm hoping
someone here will know more about it? A google search does not come up with anything.

We lost to them but it was the most enjoyable game of the day. U430 results are now posted using Bridge Results dot com which is fabulous, it would be perfect if we had handrecords for the team games too. Edit, try this link. http://bridgeresults...year=12&club=25
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-11, 04:42

This treatment is getting more and more popular.

Pass says: "I want to defend, please double, unless you really want to play."
Double says: "I slightly prefer to play, please bid, unless you chose to defend."

One advantage is that the pass and pull is much clearer, sort of "split range". Pass says you either want to defend or that you really want to bid.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#3 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-11, 05:17

View Postjillybean, on 2012-November-11, 01:14, said:

U430 results are now posted using Bridge Results dot com which is fabulous, it would be peferect if we had handrecords for the team games too http://www.bridgeres...21110-3841.html

Well, fabulous... Check out these links for how scoring is presented by bridge clubs in some other countries:
The Netherlands
Sweden
EBU (see what happens when you click on a pair)

These are the results of some random bridge clubs that use the scoring program (and infrastructure) provided by their national leagues. These are typically results from the standard club nights, not from special tournaments (except for the Swedish one). This is how the "Aunt Millie - Uncle Bob"-s can see their bridge results. I think the ACBL has a long way to go before the presentation of scores in the USA earns the qualification "fabulous".

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-November-11, 06:41

Hi Rik, I guess "fabulous" is relative, this is fabulous compared to what we had before :)
Thanks for posting the links, it is good to see what other countries are doing. BTW, BridgeResutls are a private company,
the ACBL have nothing to do with it.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-11, 09:31

View Postjillybean, on 2012-November-11, 06:41, said:

Hi Rik, I guess "fabulous" is relative, this is fabulous compared to what we had before :)
Thanks for posting the links, it is good to see what other countries are doing. BTW, BridgeResutls are a private company,
the ACBL have nothing to do with it.

I realize that BridgeResults are a private company, and in that sense, it is fabulous that they are doing something like that. And I don't want to kill free enterprise, but I think it ought to be the task of the "central government" (ACBL) to provide the infrastructure. After all, if the ACBL doesn't provide this kind of infrastructure, why would I be an ACBL member? For the masterpoints? Really?

I also realize that the ACBL is organized different from the European NCBO's. In many European leagues, the clubs are associated to (or even members of) the league. The members of the clubs are members of the league through their clubs. This means that the national league can provide this infrastructure as a service to its associated clubs. (Clubs that are not associated don't have access to this service.)

In the ACBL, the clubs are not associated to the ACBL, individual members are. Nevertheless, I think that the ACBL could provide this service to their certified tournament directors for their games. They could even make it possible to put in a condition: They could require that a certain percentage of the participants is either an ACBL member or a registered student. If the condition is met, the results will be available on the internet at "www.acbl.org\My_results\TD-number-xyz". If it isn't met there could be a message: "Unfortunately too small a fraction of participants of this event were ACBL members. You and your friends can join ACBL now to show the results through 'My ACBL results'!!".

Also nobody says that the ACBL has to reinvent the wheel. I expect that if they contact some other NCBO's that they can "buy into" existing infrastructure.

Rik

#6 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-11, 09:32

Double post deleted

#7 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-November-11, 10:57

Interesting information, thanks.

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-November-11, 09:31, said:

I realize that BridgeResults are a private company, and in that sense, it is fabulous that they are doing something like that. And I don't want to kill free enterprise, but I think it ought to be the task of the "central government" (ACBL) to provide the infrastructure. After all, if the ACBL doesn't provide this kind of infrastructure, why would I be an ACBL member? For the masterpoints? Really?

Absolutely, people wear them as a badge of honor. The ACBL have done a wonderful job of marketing MP's, or maybe it is just human nature that makes them so attractive.

I also realize that the ACBL is organized different from the European NCBO's. In many European leagues, the clubs are associated to (or even members of) the league. The members of the clubs are members of the league through their clubs. This means that the national league can provide this infrastructure as a service to its associated clubs. (Clubs that are not associated don't have access to this service.)

In the ACBL, the clubs are not associated to the ACBL, individual members are. Nevertheless, I think that the ACBL could provide this service to their certified tournament directors for their games. They could even make it possible to put in a condition: They could require that a certain percentage of the participants is either an ACBL member or a registered student. If the condition is met, the results will be available on the internet at "www.acbl.org\My_results\TD-number-xyz". If it isn't met there could be a message: "Unfortunately too small a fraction of participants of this event were ACBL members. You and your friends can join ACBL now to show the results through 'My ACBL results'!!".

The clubs pay a fee to run ACBL sanctioned games and I assume all ACBL sanctioned games are run by ACBL certified directors. Shouldn't the ACBL then provide this service to all clubs running ACBL sanctioned games and make the results available only for and to ACBL members?
(still learning)

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-11, 11:22

(Clubs that are not associated don't have access to this service.)

This is not true in England. Non-affiliated clubs are able to post their results in the same way, complete with travellers and hand records.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-11, 11:22

View Postjillybean, on 2012-November-11, 10:57, said:

The clubs pay a fee to run ACBL sanctioned games and I assume all ACBL sanctioned games are run by ACBL certified directors. Shouldn't the ACBL then provide this service to all clubs running ACBL sanctioned games and make the results available only for and to ACBL members?

I would certainly think so.

Personally, I think it should be available to bridge students too. (Don't they have some kind of special "introduction membership" status within ACBL?)

Rik

#10 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-11, 12:58

I would not bother with inverted forcing pass.

It can help when you intend to pass and pull partner's double to make a slam try because it's more likely that partner will actually double, as your pass is usually based on a hand that wants to defend. However, the converse is that if your pass is encouraging and partner does something, you have useful information that his hand is more suitable for going on. If your pass was discouraging and partner doubled, you would not have that information.

Why add complexity when it's hard to even figure out if the extra complexity gains anything? Also, if you ever have a disagreement about whether a sequence is forcing, and just about everybody does from time to time, pass-double inversion is likely to make it worse.

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-November-15, 07:54

The pass/double inversion is theoretically better in most auctions but probably not worth it for I/A players. If you play "all doubles are takeout except..." then there is a certain appeal to it since you are now (arguably) less likely to have a costly misunderstanding.

The basic is that Pass is a transfer (some play Puppet) to Double, and shows either an interest in defending (pass the double) or a slam try (bid something); Double shows interest in bidding on but can be converted; bidding our suit is natural without slam interest; bidding a new suit shows extra shape but not extra values. If the bidding is low enough you can also do some things with 4NT - Bridgewinners has some discussion of this (see the comments). I have also seen Sabine Auken's book "I Love This Game" recommended several times regarding this, so that would probably be a decent place to start before incorporating it into your partnerships (should you decide to do so).
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-15, 08:37

View Postnigel_k, on 2012-November-11, 12:58, said:

Also, if you ever have a disagreement about whether a sequence is forcing, and just about everybody does from time to time, pass-double inversion is likely to make it worse.

I think this depends on what pass and double would mean in a non-FP high-level situation. Obviously this depends on the level of the auction and other factors (have we found a fit?), but if you generally play double as encouraging to bid on, regardless of whether pass would be forcing or not, then you may survive a misunderstanding about forcing pass.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#13 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-15, 09:44

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-November-11, 05:17, said:

Wow, that is really nice presentation.

But ... 100 masterpoints given out at club game? And I thought ACBL had MP inflation :o
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-15, 09:51

View Postbillw55, on 2012-November-15, 09:44, said:

Wow, that is really nice presentation.

But ... 100 masterpoints given out at club game? And I thought ACBL had MP inflation :o

Well, you need 60,000 of them to become a life master.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-15, 09:54

We played Pass/Double Inversion above the level of three spades, as per Sabine Auken's book. Now, courtesy of Roy Hughes' recent book, we now play Pass/Double Inversion at all levels when pass is forcing. We do prefer the consistency of our current methods.

Of course the key is to have a common understanding of when pass is forcing.

I believe you play 2/1 normally, so one way is to consider the simple auction 1 - (Pass) - 2 - (2). What would you feel confident playing double as?
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#16 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-15, 09:57

View Postbillw55, on 2012-November-15, 09:44, said:

These are equivalent to black points and my conversion formula divides by 35 to get the ACBL equivalent.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#17 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-November-15, 09:59

I would encourage a bright young carpenter to master the hammer and plumb-bob before taking the time to learn about a plasma cutter.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#18 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-16, 09:25

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-November-11, 05:17, said:

Well, fabulous... Check out these links for how scoring is presented by bridge clubs in some other countries:
The Netherlands
Sweden

These are the results of some random bridge clubs that use the scoring program (and infrastructure) provided by their national leagues. These are typically results from the standard club nights, not from special tournaments (except for the Swedish one). This is how the "Aunt Millie - Uncle Bob"-s can see their bridge results. I think the ACBL has a long way to go before the presentation of scores in the USA earns the qualification "fabulous".

Rik

The "EBU" example is not strictly EBU - it is a privately run service which is availble to US clubs as well as elsewhere - see here for a list of US clubs participating:
Bridge webs Costs are something in the order of £50 per year for a middle sized club in this country. Not sure what the chap who runs this service is charging his US customers - but I doubt he is exactly profiteering.

There is also freebie software to do good results pages if you want to operate your own web sites.

Hand records are primarily dependent on using dealing software - unless you want to manually and tediously make an uploadable file whatever solution you adopt.

Nick

The results for a US club can be seen here Almost certainly the results will have originally been scored using the standard ACBL scoring program and simply uploaded.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#19 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-November-16, 10:08

Thanks, there is a fair number of America and Canadain clubs using this service.
Having handrecords for all games here seems to be dependant on having sufficent sets of boards and paying the cost of the operator to duplicate those boards or getting smarter with movements which seems to have some resistance because #1, we need more caddys and #2 the risk of players discussing hands or messing up movements.

fwiw, the link I posted to the results in the OP was the link to my results from the team game which aren't interesting at all since we don't have handrecords. I intended to post this link http://bridgeresults...year=12&club=25
(still learning)

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-16, 15:33

View Postjillybean, on 2012-November-16, 10:08, said:

Having handrecords for all games here seems to be dependant on having sufficent sets of boards and paying the cost of the operator to duplicate those boards or getting smarter with movements which seems to have some resistance because #1, we need more caddys and #2 the risk of players discussing hands or messing up movements.

I can understand the problem of not having enough boards and the manpower to duplicate them, but I do not understand the need for caddies. Or about people discussing hands. I assume you are talking about team games, which are often hand-dealt in the US. Doesn't everyone play the same hands in a pair game? Is there a problem with people discussing hands? Or messing up movements?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users