BBO Discussion Forums: Responding to 4th Suit Forcing - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responding to 4th Suit Forcing Three-level 4th Suit Forcing

Poll: Responding to 4th Suit Forcing (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Your Bid?

1. 3H (3 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. 3S (20 votes [47.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.62%

3. 3NT (8 votes [19.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

4. 4C (11 votes [26.19%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.19%

5. 4D (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Other (please explain) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-August-09, 05:55

A 3 rebid seems the ideal solution, a default bid, having seen all the replies. Opener cannot have a 6 card suit, or if he/she does it's going to be poor quality as he rebid 2 not 2.

If the hand were 5-5 or 6-5 in the majors then 3 would be rebid. what is really transparent here is that with Acol and 4 card majors and its non-forcing 2 bids, this hand is extremely clumsy to bid. With 2/1 it would have been a run in the park.

#42 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-August-09, 05:56

View PostTramticket, on 2018-August-09, 05:06, said:

After 1, 2; 2:
- 2 preference (often false preference) - usually only 2 spades, occasionally 3 spades in a poor hand.
- 3 invitational with 3 spades. Around 10-11 HCP / 8 losers.
- 4 to play opposite a minimum opening. Approximately 12-15ish / 7 losers.
- 4th suit forcing then spades for stronger hands.

I would add to this, what 4 shows depends on what wrinkles you play in your acol. In old style, the DGR would be what you do with 4 card support, nowadays most people play 2N as a raise so it shows this strength with 3.

#43 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-09, 07:04

View PostFelicityR, on 2018-August-09, 05:55, said:

Opener cannot have a 6 card suit, or if he/she does it's going to be poor quality as he rebid 2 not 2.

This raises another interesting piece of theory. With six spades and four hearts, I would tend to rebid 2 rather than 2 - unless the spades were particularly strong and the hearts particularly weak. Playing four-card majors, a 2 response tells partner about the fifth spade as well as the four-card heart suit. The only thing unstated is the 6th spade. Rebidding spades before hearts hides the four-card heart suit and whilst it will show a six-card suit in this sequence, there are other sequences where it might only promise a five-card suit (e.g. 1, 2; 2 might be just a five-card spade suit).

I agree that it is an awkward hand for Acol!

#44 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-August-09, 18:19

Personally,I don't know any thing at all about ACOL.But If the sequence 1S-2C-2H could be 4/4 in the majors in ACOL then my bid shall be an easy 3S over 3D as the 3D bid may be to find out if opener has 5carder spade suit or not.There is no other bid to find that out.. as 2NT iwill be a passable bid. It is also my personal opinion that playing a 5 card major as in Precision if partner bid 2H then My rebid will be 4S over partners any bid over 3D .I am not too excited to visualise a slam holding only the Queen in the club suit in the given hand .I like the approach and further developments of the hand as suggested by other colleagues.

#45 User is offline   marklaf 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-August-09, 21:11

Partner should know that a 3 diamond bid endplays me--I think 4 clubs is automatic--if partner rebids 4 spades I will pass---I would jump to 5 clubs with 5413 distribution.

#46 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2018-August-10, 02:31

View PostTramticket, on 2018-August-09, 02:13, said:

The responses are divided about whether or not there should be a default response (Ahydra and P_Marlowe suggest the 3 should be the default, others suggest that 3 is the default) or no default response, but attempt to make the most descriptive bid (nullve and dslawse think that the most descriptive bid is to emphasise the semi-balanced shape with 3NT, even without a stop, Helene_T and others go for showing the club fragment in support of partner, at the expense of going past 3NT and suggesting an unbalanced shape).

Partner and I have some discussions ahead!

East's hand:
K74
A
AK73
QT765

We finished in the wrong slam (6) - East diagnosed the "double fit" and drove to slam - picking the wrong one.

Although this hand is more for revere answer by E (descriptive also for points - almost 14 - and shape - with contiguos suits the first is longer) than for FSF where you can have on diamond suit fewer cards.

#47 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-10, 10:48

View PostJanisW, on 2018-August-09, 04:01, said:

Sorry for the multiple post.

But you can use "Delete" function on the left of "Edit" eliminating (also this one where i've replied) the multiple posts.

#48 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-10, 11:04

View PostTramticket, on 2018-August-09, 02:13, said:

Partner and I have some discussions ahead!

East's hand:
K74
A
AK73
QT765

We finished in the wrong slam (6) - East diagnosed the "double fit" and drove to slam - picking the wrong one.

When you indicated this hand as FSF you know that probably can not have the 3NT answer (except if W has QJx) because partner not have to lie about stopper, than you try to have informations about / suits (not being interested in ). Instead if this hand is bidded as reverse there is not that limitation (and for this one raises an interesting point of bidding).

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users