BBO Discussion Forums: ATB for missing vul game - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB for missing vul game

Poll: ATB for missing vul game (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should have done more?

1. North (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

2. South (13 votes [61.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.90%

3. Both, you pair of cravens (3 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. Neither - the hands just fit very well (2 votes [9.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

5. Other (2 votes [9.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-August-01, 19:09

IMP scoring. 2 promised 4. 3 was a naturalish game try, though could still have only 4 spades.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-01, 20:00

I think as N I would have just gutted it out over 2, especially at IMPs (you don't specify), but having heard 3 what else does S need to hear? So...both

#3 User is online   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-02, 00:56

Making game seems to need you to find the Q. What is the form of scoring? IMPs or matchpoints? It might not be a disaster staying in 3 at matchpoints, but I definitely want to be in game at IMPs.

At IMPs, I would have probably have bid game with the North cards, rather than inviting. It gives away less info and the diamond suit isn't really the suit where you want help, so the bid doesn't help partner judge. The fifth spade tips the balance for me, but it is close.

Holding the South cards, I would probably have accepted the invite at IMPs, since the A looks like a good card in the trial-bid suit. The T9 tip the balance for me, but the Both decision is also close.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-02, 02:15

I would expect to have a lot of company missing this one, 1N-2-transfer break by whatever method I would expect a lot of people to decline the invite unless you only break the transfer with an absolute maximum.

In your auction can you even be 100% sure S has 4 spades ?

#5 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2018-August-02, 03:49

kinda both but I blame North more, imo vul at imps with a 5th spade and KQ of partners suit, he should just bid the game rather than mucking about with game tries
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-02, 04:05

View Posteagles123, on 2018-August-02, 03:49, said:

kinda both but I blame North more, imo vul at imps with a 5th spade and KQ of partners suit, he should just bid the game rather than mucking about with game tries

You really want to be in it opposite Qxxx, Axx, Axxx, Qx and that's far from the worst hand partner can have, game try is reasonable, the question is whether it should be accepted.

#7 User is offline   JanisW 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-August-02, 08:25

South is much too good for declining with 3. He could be missing the Q and would have bid the same way.
Not bidding 4 is not unreasonable, since you don't want to be in game opposite a bad 4342 11 count, particulalrly with Qx
But South clearly has to make one more forward going bid with 3. Showing values in and asking Partner to choose between 3/4 . With his undisclosed 5th trump North would've easily bid 4. 3 is to much a stop sign and North has to respect that decission.

regards
JW

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-02, 08:34

I had to go with south 100%. If you are going to blast game with the north hand why are you even playing natural(ish) game tries?

South has help period. It was a simple question and if your Ace is in clubs instead a 3 bid still gives north a chance.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-02, 13:55

View Postggwhiz, on 2018-August-02, 08:34, said:

I had to go with south 100%. If you are going to blast game with the north hand why are you even playing natural(ish) game tries?

Because with those honors and a 9 card fit I expect to have the 34% or so equity in 4M that is required red at imps.

#10 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-02, 14:29

View PostTylerE, on 2018-August-02, 13:55, said:

Because with those honors and a 9 card fit I expect to have the 34% or so equity in 4M that is required red at imps.

Assuming you mean 38%, that doesn't (necessarily) mean you should bid game instead of a game try. It means bidding game is better than passing.

If you mean you expect to make game 38% of the time opposite a hand which can't accept a game try, then that's fair enough.

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-August-02, 15:29

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-August-02, 02:15, said:

I would expect to have a lot of company missing this one, 1N-2-transfer break by whatever method I would expect a lot of people to decline the invite unless you only break the transfer with an absolute maximum.

After a weak NT followed by Stayman (so I use arcane methods!) and a 2 bid by South, I'm blasting a 4 vulnerable game bid at IMPs. Partner's 4th just reduced the loser count in the down making the hand look more like a 7 loser than 8 loser hand. So I'm going to be aggressive and bid the game.

At MPs, where there's more of a penalty for reaching the wrong contract, I would just make a game try.

#12 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-August-02, 15:40

I'm going with blaming South on the given auction. South missed an obvious action by not bidding 3 showing values in . North 3 bid improves South's hand by revealing some sort of secondary fit with South.

After the 3 bid by South, if I were North, the 4 bid card would be on the table in a flash.

#13 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-02, 16:48

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-August-02, 02:15, said:

Yeah, this was robots, and they insist on 4 for the bid.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#14 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-02, 17:01

View PostJinksy, on 2018-August-02, 16:48, said:

Yeah, this was robots, and they insist on 4 for the bid.

This is not true. While they explain the bid as showing 4, they occasionally do it on 3. Partner (if a robot) doesn't seem to take it into account and will just blast 4 on something like 5432-KJ9-KQT-KJ9.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#15 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2018-August-02, 17:27

1-1
2-P

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-02, 19:06

% 100 South. Not even close!
N has flat 10 count. We all open almost all 12 hcps full of quacks and some 11 hcps. South has all prime cards and no wastage. It is IMPS. He should have a very strong reason to reject the invitation, 13 with prime cards and not 4333 does not look like one. Just T9 alone means something.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#17 User is offline   mr1303_2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-August-02, 19:54

Assuming 1D was normal (as opposed to precision style), my vote was for "both you pair of cravens", but I blame South more since he has an obvious accept, whereas North might've bid game anyway since all his points are working and he has the crucial 5th spade.

Incidentally, these "naturalish game tries" seem to need a bit more definition. If 3D would show say 3 low, South's hand becomes a lot worse.

#18 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-August-07, 18:22

I'm with nullve on this one.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#19 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-07, 18:36

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-August-02, 04:05, said:

You really want to be in it opposite Qxxx, Axx, Axxx, Qx and that's far from the worst hand partner can have, game try is reasonable, the question is whether it should be accepted.

***** happens when partner has a wasted queens and we have mirroring distributions in the side suits.

I really think lot of people aren't evaluating the North hand properly. KQ in partner's suit and AJ of trumps is huge. 5-4 fit is huge. Turn K into A or A and game becomes awful.

(Still South should have come up with 3 - seems about perfect for this hand.)
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#20 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-07, 19:01

View Postcherdano, on 2018-August-07, 18:36, said:

I really think lot of people aren't evaluating the North hand properly. KQ in partner's suit and AJ of trumps is huge. 5-4 fit is huge. Turn K into A or A and game becomes awful.

KQ in partner's suit is only really huge if partner has the Ace of diamonds. Change Ace of diamonds into a low diamond and a club into the Ace of clubs and game again isn't great.

So I can't imagine why 4 would ever be better than 3 (given South should have accepted with the Ace of diamonds, otherwise what was the point).

Edit - I'm probably wrong, I guess all you need is the diamond jack..

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users