BBO Discussion Forums: NT opening with singleton penalty - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NT opening with singleton penalty 2/1 ACBL

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-25, 07:59

East cashed AK gave partner a ruff [partner void] and partner exited with a Trump.

Later North led 2 of clubs to the K empty in dummy and West won with Q.
West now tried to cash A of clubs and it got ruffed and North was able to pitch his losing Heart on
dummies K of clubs.

What should penalty be in this situation?

#2 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-25, 08:18

View Postdickiegera, on 2018-July-25, 07:59, said:

East cashed AK gave partner a ruff [partner void] and partner exited with a Trump.

Later North led 2 of clubs to the K empty in dummy and West won with Q.
West now tried to cash A of clubs and it got ruffed and North was able to pitch his losing Heart on
dummies K of clubs.

Was there a regulation in force that made opening 2NT with a singleton illegal?
Did N/S have a partnership understanding that North might open 2NT with a singleton?
If so, was this understanding properly disclosed to opponents?
Don't overlook Law 40C1.

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-25, 08:24

View Postdickiegera, on 2018-July-25, 07:59, said:

What was the infraction?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-25, 08:56

In answering Gordon's question, please specify the law or regulation violated.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-25, 09:18

View Postblackshoe, on 2018-July-25, 08:56, said:

In answering Gordon's question, please specify the law or regulation violated.

It is my understanding that ACBL recently passed a ruling that opening NT with a singleton was illegal unless it was
an Ace ,King or Queen.

I want to know what the penalty is for doing so.

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-25, 10:13

View Postdickiegera, on 2018-July-25, 09:18, said:

It is my understanding that ACBL recently passed a ruling that opening NT with a singleton was illegal unless it was
an Ace ,King or Queen.

Here's the regulation. It seems to me the first thing would be to investigate whether it was done by agreement.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#7 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-25, 10:17

I readily admit I'm no director but if a bid is illegal due to contravening a national association's rules (as opposed to actually making an illegal bid) I would think the best result would be to void any bids that North has made and adjust the score to E/W making 3 for 110. Whether that is actually covered in the rules is another matter. The illegality of the bid is on a far higher level than a simple misunderstanding.

#8 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2018-July-25, 10:35

View Postdickiegera, on 2018-July-25, 09:18, said:

an Ace ,King or Queen.

It would appear to me that the relevant laws in this case might be:

L40B1b said:

In its discretion the Regulating Authority may designate certain partnership understandings as ‘special partnership understandings’. A special partnership understanding is one whose meaning, in the opinion of the Regulating Authority, may not be readily understood and anticipated by a significant number of players in the tournament.

L40B2a{i} said:

{The Regulating Authority:} is empowered without restriction to allow, disallow, or allow conditionally, any special partnership understanding.

L40B3a said:

A side that is damaged as a consequence of its opponents’ failure to provide disclosure of the meaning of a call or play, as these laws require, is entitled to rectification through the award of an adjusted score

L40B4 said:

When a side is damaged by an opponent’s use of a special partnership understanding that does not comply with the regulations governing the tournament the score shall be adjusted. A side in breach of those regulations may be subject to a procedural penalty

However (as already said) never overlook L40C1 which applies unconditionally unless ACBL explicitly has excempted this law in their relevant regulation.

Edit: After reading the relevant ACBL regulation (#6 above) it is my understanding that ACBL regulated the valid agreements on NT opening bids but did not invalidate such opening bids when protected by Law 40C1.

So the key question here is whether there was a partnership understanding (explicit or implicit) to use the opening bid of 2NT here. If the answer is "no" then there is no legal reason for any reaction.

#9 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-July-25, 11:00

I will note the following:

If you want an adjustment to your score, I'd want to understand how you were damaged and whether it was subsequent or consequent to the infraction.
Alderaan delenda est

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2018-July-25, 14:28

As others have said, the answer to OP's question is that it is unclear that there has been an infraction, and so until that question has been resolved there is no basis for a penalty.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2018-July-25, 15:39

Even in Italy, which has a much less creative RA than ACBL, it seems to me that the 2NT opening in question would be an infraction if bid without alert.
The regulations (which are little more than a translation of the old WBF Systems/Alert policy) say that to be bid without alert a 1NT opening must be within 15 and 18 points and "willing to play in NT" and a 2NT opening must be at least 19 points and "natural".
It's difficult to conceive 6331 as a natural NT opening and the fact that he ran to spades speaks against his will to play in NT.

#12 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-25, 16:02

Sounds like the only infraction was West leading out of turn after he "beat" the K with the Q and then led the Ace. :)

Remind North/South of the rules around opening NT bids with singletons, and record the hand. If they do it again, then refer to whatever the ACBL prescribes as penalty for an illegal agreement. (Of course, if you know this isn't the first time they've violated the system policy then you can throw the book at them now rather than later.)

ahydra

#13 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-25, 16:39

Opening with a singleton may be very unusual in the ACBL, but the 6-card major seems even more peculiar.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#14 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2018-July-25, 16:42

View Postahydra, on 2018-July-25, 16:02, said:

Sounds like the only infraction was West leading out of turn after he "beat" the K with the Q and then led the Ace. :)

ahydra

Probably an unfortunate misprint in OP.
From the context it is clear that low clubs were played from Dummy in both tricks 1 and 2.
The CK was later available for the discard of a heart loser.

#15 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-25, 16:47

View Postpran, on 2018-July-25, 16:42, said:

Probably an unfortunate misprint in OP.
From the context it is clear that low clubs were played from Dummy in both tricks 1 and 2.
The CK was later available for the discard of a heart loser.

Correct ! Around trick 7 or 8

#16 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-25, 21:15

View PostVampyr, on 2018-July-25, 16:39, said:

Opening with a singleton may be very unusual in the ACBL, but the 6-card major seems even more peculiar.

The partner I mentioned in the other thread (the one who hovered her hand over what she thought I should be playing from dummy) liked to open pretty much anything in the ~20 point range 2NT. She never could understand why she kept missing slams :/.

ahydra

#17 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2018-July-26, 05:04

View Postahydra, on 2018-July-25, 21:15, said:

The partner I mentioned in the other thread (the one who hovered her hand over what she thought I should be playing from dummy) liked to open pretty much anything in the ~20 point range 2NT. She never could understand why she kept missing slams :/.

ahydra

If their methods can handle 2NT containing a 5card major then she shouldn't miss many slams that the rest of the room will be calling. I'd be more concerned about getting set in NT when her partner has a weak hand and they miss a safe partial in a suit.

#18 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-26, 05:20

View Postpescetom, on 2018-July-26, 05:04, said:

If their methods can handle 2NT containing a 5card major then she shouldn't miss many slams that the rest of the room will be calling. I'd be more concerned about getting set in NT when her partner has a weak hand and they miss a safe partial in a suit.

Difficult to deal with somebody opening 2N and then cueing a singleton, really causes you to misevaluate KJxx and if they don't, you miss the suit slam opposite xxxx.

#19 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2018-July-26, 06:20

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-July-26, 05:20, said:

Difficult to deal with somebody opening 2N and then cueing a singleton, really causes you to misevaluate KJxx and if they don't, you miss the suit slam opposite xxxx.

It's usually going to be the 2N hand that is making the decisive evaluation, however.
But I agree that overall it's a dubious way to bid, certainly not my choice (we open 2NT any 5332 most 5422 and some 6m322).

#20 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2018-July-26, 07:38

We should not forget that 2NT is only an infraction if they have an agreement to open 2NT on this hand and that agreement is not permitted.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users