• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this hand strong?

#1 User is offline   Chris3875 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-28, 01:35

At this point South, who is considering a raise to 5D, asks about the 3S bid and is told it is a strong hand, possible 16+ points. South passes and West passes. North plays the hand in 4D and makes 12 tricks.
Australia

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2018-July-28, 03:58

come on partner has come in VUL at the four level u have 3 card support and 3 quick tricks and can't find a bid. lol really?? I think the explanation is wrong for sure, but east must have something for a vul weak 2 (supposedly) partner surely has a reasonable hand for 4d and the 3s is "strong" how many points does south think are in this deck lol??
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-28, 04:06

Irrespective of whether the opponents have provided 'duff' information - what level were they? - South with 3s and an AK and an A should raise to 5.

The West hand isn't strong, just a standard 3 pre-empt vulnerable, though some might prefer opening 1 and rebidding s twice.

Yes, N/S were given wrong information.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-28, 04:42

The 3 bid is also in a VERY standard psyching position, S not bidding on is simply not playing bridge.

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-28, 07:03

View PostFelicityR, on 2018-July-28, 04:06, said:

The West hand isn't strong, just a standard 3 pre-empt vulnerable, though some might prefer opening 1 and rebidding s twice.

I would certainly prefer opening that hand 1 but in this case West didn't get a chance to do so, of course.
I think that 3 vuln is fine, except for the explanation supplied.
If the partnership is solid and has read Alvin Roth I would expect North to bid 3NT Unusual, at which point South starts to think about 12 tricks.

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-28, 07:44

View Postpescetom, on 2018-July-28, 07:03, said:

I would certainly prefer opening that hand 1 but in this case West didn't get a chance to do so, of course.
I think that 3 vuln is fine, except for the explanation supplied.
If the partnership is solid and has read Alvin Roth I would expect North to bid 3NT Unusual, at which point South starts to think about 12 tricks.

3N to 90% of the world is natural, X for takeout is the normal action.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-July-28, 09:39

View PostFelicityR, on 2018-July-28, 04:06, said:

Yes, N/S were given wrong information.

Were they? If the EW agreement is that West is supposed to be strong, there's no MI, unless they actually consider West's hand to be strong and in conformance with their agreement.

Remember, you're only entitled to the opponents' agreements, not what they actually hold.

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-28, 11:23

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-July-28, 07:44, said:

3N to 90% of the world is natural, X for takeout is the normal action.

Yes X for takeout is far more normal, although if I only had that I'd probably prefer 4. I see X here as showing both minors 4+ and general strength, unless partnership has other agreement.

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2018-July-28, 12:27

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-July-28, 04:42, said:

The 3 bid is also in a VERY standard psyching position,

Yes, N/S are very naive if they have not even considered this ossibility.

However I must add that 2 is the normal psyche; 3 probably usually a splinter. I may be wrong.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-28, 12:32

View PostVampyr, on 2018-July-28, 12:27, said:

Yes, N/S are very naive if they have not even considered this ossibility.

However I must add that 2 is the normal psyche; 3 probably usually a splinter. I may be wrong.

Psychic fit-jump, I may or may not have used it several times :)

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2018-July-28, 12:38

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-July-28, 12:32, said:

Psychic fit-jump, I may or may not have used it several times :)

Ah right. Is it a sort-of controlled psyche if the bid never comes up naturally?
. :)
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-28, 14:10

View PostVampyr, on 2018-July-28, 12:38, said:

Ah right. Is it a sort-of controlled psyche if the bid never comes up naturally?
. :)

No, If I have 5 spades and 3 hearts I will also use it, allows partner to judge whether to bid 5 over 5m if he has 3.

It doesn't hurt that if I don't have spades it can be bloody awkward for opps to find their spade fit.

#13 User is offline   DozyDom 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-28, 17:14

The hand isn't strong. The bid is. Question answered, boom.

Partner has come in at the 4 level opposite a passed hand, you have AKA and 3-card support. 5!D looks extremely conservative. Pass looks inexplicable.

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-28, 18:38

Since this a rulings forum, let's look at it in that light. Was there an infraction of law or regulation here? We don't know. What was the actual partnership agreement as to the meaning of 3!S in that auction?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#15 User is offline   Chris3875 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-30, 03:03

The system card and explanation indicated a good suit with 16+ points.
Australia

#16 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-30, 08:00

View PostChris3875, on 2018-July-30, 03:03, said:

The system card and explanation indicated a good suit with 16+ points.

So we're down to asking whether there's any history of this pair psyching this bid before, otherwise no redress.

#17 User is offline   Chris3875 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-30, 23:00

Thanks to Blackshoe for asking about the RULING on this situation. I don't really want to hear supercilious comments about what South should have bid, or what North should have done. Both are reasonably new players and I thought South showed a few brains asking whether the West 3S bid was strong (which it should have been over the pre-empt opening). He was told it WAS strong, about 16 points so if he added that to the possible 8 points in the East hand and 11 I think in his own hand, it doesn't leave a lot for his partner - someone is obviously telling porkies - and based on the information he was given, he passed. Misinformation, in my opinion. I thought this was a Simple Rulings forum, not an advanced play group.
Australia

#18 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-31, 02:57

View PostChris3875, on 2018-July-30, 23:00, said:

Thanks to Blackshoe for asking about the RULING on this situation. I don't really want to hear supercilious comments about what South should have bid, or what North should have done. Both are reasonably new players and I thought South showed a few brains asking whether the West 3S bid was strong (which it should have been over the pre-empt opening). He was told it WAS strong, about 16 points so if he added that to the possible 8 points in the East hand and 11 I think in his own hand, it doesn't leave a lot for his partner - someone is obviously telling porkies - and based on the information he was given, he passed. Misinformation, in my opinion. I thought this was a Simple Rulings forum, not an advanced play group.

You might have noticed before that quite often the merits of bidding and playing are discussed here, not always useful in regards to a ruling. But that’s life on web fora.
As far as the ruling is concerned: S was given the correct explanation, so this is definitely not a case of MI. Law 75C: “When the partnership agreement has been explained correctly, the mistake being the call made and not the explanation, there is no infraction.” Maybe a hard way to learn for N and particularly S to trust his partner more than the opponents.
Another question which remains open is, whether a strong answer to a weak opening is forcing for EW. Over here it’s usual to play 2NT as forcing and 2 - or another suit - as a good hand but not forcing. About 3 most not to strong pairs would have no agreement.
And yes, this is a simple ruling, given the right information. Your original post didn’t give the EW agreement which lead to speculation.
Joost

#19 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-31, 03:08

Also there is a principle that in bidding, when you know somebody is lying, you get into trouble if you assume it's partner as you're effectively fielding a psyche he hasn't made, you must assume partner has his bid. If he has his bid and you field, you get a crap result, if he has psyched, you get the director coming down on you like a ton of bricks, just make the normal bid which is 5.

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2018-July-31, 03:39

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-July-30, 08:00, said:

So we're down to asking whether there's any history of this pair psyching this bid before, otherwise no redress.

How much history? What % turns a psyche into a CPU?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users