Jan

#2 User is offline   dokoko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding System Design
    Walking my dogs
    2 player Hanabi

Posted 2018-July-20, 13:55

Strange things are going on here. What do I know about the players at the table?

Without further info I will raise to 3nt and expect partner to have forgotten the system.

#3 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-July-20, 14:38

View Postdokoko, on 2018-July-20, 13:55, said:

Strange things are going on here. What do I know about the players at the table?

Without further info I will raise to 3nt and expect partner to have forgotten the system.

I agree. The bidding doesn't look quite right. Players who play the Multi will usually want to make life difficult for their opponents (by pre-empting) by offering partner a choice at the three level with major suit support. But if they don't have major suit support, then they will have cards in the minors which patently they cannot have if partner's 2NT is unusual for the minors.

I'll probably wouldn't bid 3NT though as if partner had a balanced 17-20 count he could have bid 2NT on the previous round - if that is how you deal with the Multi.

I'm more inclined to bid a straightforward 4. Even if partner has the minors, let him decide whether you have enough for game. The double fit is good but it doesn't mean you have 11 tricks between the two hands.

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-20, 15:01

View PostHilver, on 2018-July-20, 11:42, said:

2 = relay, less then 15 HCP

Is this some variant of Multicolor?
2 is usually discouraging but passable with weak , not a relay.

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-July-20, 15:05

Is 2 NT in this auction really unusual?

If it is, the opponent's have big fits in both majors. Partner can hold no more than 3 major cards and you hold 4. That leaves at least 19 cards in the majors that the opponent's must hold. That there was no raise seems a bit suspicious to me.

But, I'll accept OP statement that it is. If partner has made an Unusual NT that forces us to the 3 level VUL on poor suits, that's partner's problem. However, I do have a positive hand and preference for one of the minors.

I'm bidding 4 .

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-20, 15:55

View Postrmnka447, on 2018-July-20, 15:05, said:

Is 2 NT in this auction really unusual?

If it is, the opponent's have big fits in both majors. Partner can hold no more than 3 major cards and you hold 4. That leaves at least 19 cards in the majors that the opponent's must hold. That there was no raise seems a bit suspicious to me.

But, I'll accept OP statement that it is. If partner has made an Unusual NT that forces us to the 3 level VUL on poor suits, that's partner's problem. However, I do have a positive hand and preference for one of the minors.

I'm bidding 4 .

They don't have big fits in both majors, the auction has effectively gone 2(weak)-P-P-2N(unusual)

#7 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-20, 16:54

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-July-20, 15:55, said:

They don't have big fits in both majors, the auction has effectively gone 2(weak)-P-P-2N(unusual)

How can they not have big fits in both majors? It is your partner who bid 2NT, so if they don't have majors and you don't either..

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-20, 17:21

View Postsmerriman, on 2018-July-20, 16:54, said:

How can they not have big fits in both majors? It is your partner who bid 2NT, so if they don't have majors and you don't either..

They can have a monster fit in one major, and have decided not to bounce it as neither of you appear to be bidding, think 0355 for partner.

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-July-20, 19:50

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-July-20, 17:21, said:

They can have a monster fit in one major, and have decided not to bounce it as neither of you appear to be bidding, think 0355 for partner.

If partner is indeed 0=3=5=5, they have 12 cards in and 7+ cards in . With any semblance of points (5+?), I have tough time seeing how responder isn't bidding at least 4 with certainly holding at least 5 and very likely 6.

If partner is instead 3=0=5=5, then they have a 9 card fit and a 10 fit. But on this distribution, it looks 5 of a minor is cold unless partner has horrendous suits. But with 6-3 in and favorable vulnerability, it would be right for responder with a smattering of points to raise 2 to 3 .

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-20, 20:19

View Postpescetom, on 2018-July-20, 15:01, said:

Is this some variant of Multicolor?
2 is usually discouraging but passable with weak , not a relay.

It is often called a non-forcing relay. What's in a name ....
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-21, 00:17

I'm tempted to have an urgent call requiring a quick exit,
but in the mean time I will bid 3S (which should be shortness) and let partner sort it out.

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-21, 01:11

View Postrmnka447, on 2018-July-20, 19:50, said:

If partner is indeed 0=3=5=5, they have 12 cards in and 7+ cards in . With any semblance of points (5+?), I have tough time seeing how responder isn't bidding at least 4 with certainly holding at least 5 and very likely 6.

If partner is instead 3=0=5=5, then they have a 9 card fit and a 10 fit. But on this distribution, it looks 5 of a minor is cold unless partner has horrendous suits. But with 6-3 in and favorable vulnerability, it would be right for responder with a smattering of points to raise 2 to 3 .

If you think you are seriously outgunned, and have a 12 card fit, I've seen the tactic of NOT bouncing the auction work really well, you judge your opponents and either go high or low but not in the middle. Double fits you do bounce without announcing it's a double fit normally.

Unless I need a new partner, partner can't be strong balanced because he should have bid 2N first time, so this auction makes no real sense unless somebody's done something unusual.

#13 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-21, 01:44

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-July-21, 01:11, said:

this auction makes no real sense unless somebody's done something unusual.

Pun intended?

What would be 2NT over 2H? The point people are making about the apparent lack of spades in the deck is quite a valid one. It honestly feels like partner has a natural 2NT overcall with a spade stop but no heart stop, and we should just raise to 3NT. But if we really trust him to have an unusual NT, I would bid either 4C or 5C depending on how strong you think he should be for that.

ahydra

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-21, 01:51

View Postahydra, on 2018-July-21, 01:44, said:

Pun intended?It honestly feels like partner has a natural 2NT overcall with a spade stop but no heart stop, and we should just raise to 3NT.

Most of those hands just double.

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2018-July-21, 02:04

View Posthelene_t, on 2018-July-20, 20:19, said:

It is often called a non-forcing relay. What's in a name ....

Well, it is an unusual term which can only confuse, especially if you have unusual methods over pass-or-correct bids (we play double for takeout or penalty). So if a bid were described as a relay partner and I might be on different wavelengths, which is obviously dangerous with a two-way double.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-21, 02:31

View PostVampyr, on 2018-July-21, 02:04, said:

Well, it is an unusual term which can only confuse, especially if you have unusual methods over pass-or-correct bids (we play double for takeout or penalty). So if a bid were described as a relay partner and I might be on different wavelengths, which is obviously dangerous with a two-way double.

Cough once for ... (and in case it isn't clear, I am joking)

#17 User is offline   Hilver 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Besides bridge, cycling and reading

Posted 2018-July-21, 03:52

Well, first of all thank you for your replies.

As regards about 2, maybe I indeed should have used the term non forcing relay as OH may pass it.

Well, why posting this bidding problem? Just because I was wondering what bid you would make if 2NT really is unusual.
I do understand why some of you doubting whether 2NT really was unsual.

Some of you choose to bid 4 and some 3NT. But no one made a bid of 3!

In practice 2NT was alerted and explained by the 3-bidder as being unsual. But the holding of the 2NT-bidder was:
A Q 10
Q 10 8 3 2
K J 9
5 4
So it was meant as natural.

In practice 3 was bid, and the 2NT-bidder now bid 3NT (?).

So I have my reservations against the bidding.
In my opinion, 3 is underbidding and 3NT isn't allowed after having heard partners explanation of your 2NT-bid.

#18 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-July-21, 04:28

I have my own doubts.If partner is 5/5 in minors then opponents have only 7cards in minors.Let me assume that opener has 8 HCP(midway between 6And 10) 2H is announced as relay.Considering that the meaning in today's Bridge is Pass or correct the responder can very well have a hand with 3/3 in the majors and a hand where he does not wish to play in 3 H which he would have shown by a bid of 2S And about 9/13 HCP only.(that is my personal opinion since with 14 or more or less HCPwith violent pattern as he then either would have preempted or made some sort of game try.) In that case partner can have a genuine 15/17 NT pattern hand which he could not bid because of the multiple meanings given for the 2D opening bid.Right now ,with the explanation given by OP my bid would be 4C.

#19 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-21, 04:41

View PostHilver, on 2018-July-21, 03:52, said:

Well, first of all thank you for your replies.

As regards about 2, maybe I indeed should have used the term non forcing relay as OH may pass it.

Well, why posting this bidding problem? Just because I was wondering what bid you would make if 2NT really is unusual.
I do understand why some of you doubting whether 2NT really was unsual.

Some of you choose to bid 4 and some 3NT. But no one made a bid of 3!

In practice 2NT was alerted and explained by the 3-bidder as being unsual. But the holding of the 2NT-bidder was:
A Q 10
Q 10 8 3 2
K J 9
5 4
So it was meant as natural.

In practice 3 was bid, and the 2NT-bidder now bid 3NT (?).

So I have my reservations against the bidding.
In my opinion, 3 is underbidding and 3NT isn't allowed after having heard partners explanation of your 2NT-bid.

3N is clearly abusing the UI. If 2N is natural as he must assume then what is 3 ? to play ? some sort of major suit enquiry looking for a 4-4 heart fit ? He either passes or bids hearts, but never 3N.

#20 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-July-21, 04:53

On seeing the actual hand all my guesses proved wrong.But is not stretching the hand by passing on the previous turn and then bidding 2NT now a bit confusing?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users