• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening Bid

#1 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-15, 02:25

Tell me why, as dealer, I should / should not make an opening bid with this hand?

I don't mean why I can / can not legally open because it meets to requirements of rules x, y or z, I mean reasons why it is sensible good Bridge to open or stupid bad bridge to open?

#2 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-15, 03:28

View Posteuclidz, on 2018-July-15, 02:25, said:

Tell me why, as dealer, I should / should not make an opening bid with this hand?

I don't mean why I can / can not legally open because it meets to requirements of rules x, y or z, I mean reasons why it is sensible good Bridge to open or stupid bad bridge to open?

Looks like a normal 1 opener to me.

#3 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-15, 05:23

All points in your suits, easy rebid. Only very strict ppl would pas. Compare to Jx Axx Kx Qxxxxx which now most would pass.

#4 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-15, 05:25

Opening 1

1. Including distribution points easily an opening bid (but see 2 below)
2. Honours in longest suits
3. Two honour tricks
4. Easy rebid
5. You've already bid, whereas overcalling might not be possible
6. Possible entry to long suit (A) outside long suit.
7. Lead directional
8. Meets rule of 19

Not opening 1

1. You are likely to be outbid
2. Distributional points should not be counted before a fit is established
3. The hand 'looks' more an overcall hand than an opening bid
4. Partner might disapprove :(
5. You are playing the rule of 20

Opening 3

1. Too much outside strength
2. Partner may seriously disapprove :( :(
3. Why pre-empt your partner when you have a semi-respectable 1 opener

I think the problem here generally is arriving in a game contract - more likely 3NT - with 22-24 points between the hands and finding it doesn't play well. It all depends whether your partner can see you with a 10-11 point hand opposite and six clubs, and whether you are playing 2/1, SAYC or Acol.

With 2/1 there's probably no way you can put on the brakes without annoying partner (who may be unlimited) by leaving the contract below game level. With SAYC and Acol there's a chance that partner with a 11 to a bad 13 point hand can leave you in a part score.

#5 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-15, 07:11

View PostFelicityR, on 2018-July-15, 05:25, said:

[With 2/1 there's probably no way you can put on the brakes without annoying partner (who may be unlimited) by leaving the contract below game level. With SAYC and Acol there's a chance that partner with a 11 to a bad 13 point hand can leave you in a part score.

If the kqxxxx suit was spades or hearts, then 2/1 will go to game auto. Not with 1 club opener.

#6 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-15, 07:14

1C in first or second seat, 3C in third seat, pass in 4th seat.

Easy opener for me, since partner will expect this. If your partnership is very conservative, then I guess you might pass. Are people really that conservative?

#7 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-15, 07:21

How could there be a difference between 2/1 vs SA/Acol, given that no actual 2/1 sequences start with 1c?

The hand is borderline, it's unclear how it fares in the long run. When partner with some random 12/13 count opposite blasts 3nt after 2c, it's going to depend on how well the hands mesh and if the opps find the right lead.

#8 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-15, 07:57

Thanks for the thoughtful replies (Felicity's reply in particular)

I would argue (tell me why I am wrong) that the strength in any 'rule of 19' hand is in it's length and shortages (trumps). And bidding it as an opening hand is only going to gain advantage if those lengths and shortages 'fit' with partners hand in a trump contract. The statistical odds of partners strength being in the same two suits as opener's hand are at best 50/50. I would then argue that this 50/50 bet is negated by the 20% chance of the bidding moving towards a NT contract. And, the weakness of this hand is not evident to partner when the bidding is moving towards a borderline 3NT contract i.e. partner is bidding expecting to see a minimum of 12hcp AND I would argue that is a good reason not to open 1C.

Statistics:
The hand was played by 16 people.
3 of those opened 1C, 13 passed.
Of the 3 that opened 1C two ranked themselves advanced; of the 13 that passed 3 ranked themselves as advanced.

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-15, 09:11

It's a partnership game. Some open all balanced 11's and this is better than that.

If I open I'll swiftly be in game opposite any non-decrepit 12 and too high too often. If I back in with a 2 overcall it's about what partner would expect. Other than 3rd seat 3 has no appeal.

General philosophy: Who is more aggressive (goes for game invites, accepts and competitive bidding scenarios too) opener or responder? Both work as long as the answer is one of you and you both have the same answer.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   Dumoti 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-July-15, 10:57

Well, it's 26 Zar Points so it has sufficient offensive potential. If you end up defending, you have 2 quick tricks so partner won't be disappointed with that. And if partner ends up on lead, you won't be embarrassed if he leads the suit.

#11 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-15, 10:57

View PostStephen Tu, on 2018-July-15, 07:21, said:

How could there be a difference between 2/1 vs SA/Acol, given that no actual 2/1 sequences start with 1c?

The hand is borderline, it's unclear how it fares in the long run. When partner with some random 12/13 count opposite blasts 3nt after 2c, it's going to depend on how well the hands mesh and if the opps find the right lead.

You are entirely right in respect of 2/1 sequences after a 1 opening, as noted by Mr Bengtsson (above) too. But Acol bidding (for some club players) is a bit more constrained generally, and I cannot see many at my former club opening this hand. I e-mailed my son - who can play several systems and is a far better and more experienced player than me - and he felt opening as dealer was borderline noting "that 2/1 bidding is a tad more aggressive than Acol." He plays a 10-15 Precision system so would open 2 as standard.

#12 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-15, 12:51

View Posteuclidz, on 2018-July-15, 07:57, said:

Thanks for the thoughtful replies (Felicity's reply in particular)

I would argue (tell me why I am wrong) that the strength in any 'rule of 19' hand is in it's length and shortages (trumps). And bidding it as an opening hand is only going to gain advantage if those lengths and shortages 'fit' with partners hand in a trump contract. The statistical odds of partners strength being in the same two suits as opener's hand are at best 50/50. I would then argue that this 50/50 bet is negated by the 20% chance of the bidding moving towards a NT contract. And, the weakness of this hand is not evident to partner when the bidding is moving towards a borderline 3NT contract i.e. partner is bidding expecting to see a minimum of 12hcp AND I would argue that is a good reason not to open 1C.

Statistics:
The hand was played by 16 people.
3 of those opened 1C, 13 passed.
Of the 3 that opened 1C two ranked themselves advanced; of the 13 that passed 3 ranked themselves as advanced.

Your argument also assume, that the auction stays constuctive, / uninterrupted.
If the opponents get in, it is usually nice to have told partner somthing.
If they declare, with partner on lead, you will be happy to get a club lead.
Add. any club honor partner has, will be great, he should look happily at the
Jack of clubs ( let alone the Ace ) and give this card add. weight.
We open rule of 20, i.e. the hand would fall short, if you agreed to open rule 19, go for it.
If you agreed to open rule 19, but pass, change you agreement to rule of 20.
It does not really matter,where you draw the line in the sand, but know your line, and stickt
with it.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#13 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-15, 13:50

View PostFelicityR, on 2018-July-15, 10:57, said:

You are entirely right in respect of 2/1 sequences after a 1 opening, as noted by Mr Bengtsson (above) too. But Acol bidding (for some club players) is a bit more constrained generally, and I cannot see many at my former club opening this hand. I e-mailed my son - who can play several systems and is a far better and more experienced player than me - and he felt opening as dealer was borderline noting "that 2/1 bidding is a tad more aggressive than Acol." He plays a 10-15 Precision system so would open 2 as standard.

Light openings have been a feature of Acol from the very start. If you read older texts on Acol, this often quoted as a defining characteristic of the system, distinguishing Acol from other systems.

#14 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-15, 19:41

View Posteuclidz, on 2018-July-15, 02:25, said:

Because this is a minor. You might have a case if it were a major, but in a minor, you are going to strive for the 3nt game, not the 5c game. In 3nt, you REALLY need the HCP necessary to open, or your club suit must be exceptional. Neither is the case here.

#15 User is offline   thawp66 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-July-15, 23:38

The club suit is nice, but you make it easier for opps to find fit with 10ish opposite 10ish and they’ll usually outbid you fit ( if one exists).

#16 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-July-16, 01:29

I play Precision and Super Precision and hence I shall not open this hand in 1st and 2nd seat.In 3rd seat I shall open 2C as a lead indicator as also it is just a 7 loser hand.Playing Standard ,I personally feel,it’s a very borderline opening 1 bid.

For those playing standard system Felicity has given a very detailed lucid and rational reasoning.

#17 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-16, 02:11

Playing Acol, I look at these hands and ask if I would open 1N (12-14). In this case I would not, so I pass. I want a 6 card major, then I think we all open this hand. The danger of being outbid by opps who would otherwise have passed out is too great.

Playing SAYC, it is even worse, I open 1, opps bid 1 and partner does not even know how many clubs I have.

#18 User is offline   Left2Right 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-16, 09:22

I'm surprised that everyone (so far) has omitted the potential for penalties. I learned the hard way from the late Paul Soloway that failing to open a hand that has two defensive tricks (and enough playing value, of course) shortchanges partner in her ability to double the opponents off should the auction get a bit heated.

At matchpoints, one cannot afford to hide this particular light under a bushel. At IMPS, the wisdom of knowing when to bail (letting them declare) is every bit as important.

#19 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-16, 10:32

As is often the case with these “what should I bid” questions there is more than one answer. There is the “correct” bid; the textbook bid you should make with a familiar and expert partner, and the “best” bid; the one you should make with your actual partner. In this case the correct bid is probably 1C (or 2C, playing Precision), for the reasons others have given,but if playing with a random BBO partner the best call is Pass. This is, amongst other reasons, because many on BBO get far too excited if holding a good hand opposite an opening bid. In this case an opening of 1C risks partner soaring off to 4NT just because he has a 15 count.

#20 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-16, 12:07

View Postmsjennifer, on 2018-July-16, 01:29, said:

I play Precision and Super Precision and hence I shall not open this hand in 1st and 2nd seat.In 3rd seat I shall open 2C as a lead indicator as also it is just a 7 loser hand.Playing Standard ,I personally feel,it’s a very borderline opening 1 bid.

For those playing standard system Felicity has given a very detailed lucid and rational reasoning.

If you play Precision, this looks like an OK 2C opener to me. Yeah, you're one HCP short, but this hand is pretty much what partner will expect.

If you play some form of natural system, it's a matter of partnership agreement. Opening these sorts of hands will (A) make life a bit tougher for the opponents when it's their hand (it's always easier to have an uninterrupted auction) and (B) get you to some 23 HCP 3NT contracts that make. On the other hand, opening will © lead to some minuses in game when passing would have produced a plus and © make life a lot more difficult for partner, because a "minimum" opener will now encompass a much wider range of hands, making the decision as to whether to invite or force game somewhat of a guessing game in a lot of situations.

Cheers,
Mike

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users