• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening Bid

#21 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-16, 13:22

Hi. Hands like this depend on the type of event, the caliber of the competition and the state of your game. So no right or wrong answer in 2/1. In 3rd seat I bid something depending on partner's expectations.

In rubber bridge I would open 1 club vs Vulnerability- otherwise the state of my game rules.

At most Imp events it could be difficult if I open in 1st or 2nd.
This hand evaluates best if partner bids first.

Precision and perhaps K-S styles make for an easy decision to bid with
2C easy at the former.

That is probably why bridge is so popular- no one right answer as we must make decisions.

#22 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2018-July-16, 15:42

View PostFelicityR, on 2018-July-15, 05:25, said:

Opening 1

1. Including distribution points easily an opening bid (but see 2 below)
2. Honours in longest suits
3. Two honour tricks
4. Easy rebid
5. You've already bid, whereas overcalling might not be possible
6. Possible entry to long suit (A) outside long suit.
7. Lead directional
8. Meets rule of 19

Not opening 1

1. You are likely to be outbid
2. Distributional points should not be counted before a fit is established
3. The hand 'looks' more an overcall hand than an opening bid
4. Partner might disapprove :(
5. You are playing the rule of 20

Opening 3

1. Too much outside strength
2. Partner may seriously disapprove :( :(
3. Why pre-empt your partner when you have a semi-respectable 1 opener

I think the problem here generally is arriving in a game contract - more likely 3NT - with 22-24 points between the hands and finding it doesn't play well. It all depends whether your partner can see you with a 10-11 point hand opposite and six clubs, and whether you are playing 2/1, SAYC or Acol.

With 2/1 there's probably no way you can put on the brakes without annoying partner (who may be unlimited) by leaving the contract below game level. With SAYC and Acol there's a chance that partner with a 11 to a bad 13 point hand can leave you in a part score.

I really enjoyed the above response. IMNTBHO, the question is totally about where you draw the line on what is an opening hand.
Admittedly I am old school, I have drawn the line as follows with more than my share of success.
The issue with this hand is that 2C cannot be bid as a weak 2.

1. The parameters I use for a weak 2 are 5-11 HCP points with 2 of the top 4 honors. (last part flexible in 3rd seat)
2. Parameters for a opening hand are 12 hcp and at least a 5 card suit OR 11 HCP, a 6 card suit and 2.5 Quick Tricks.

This hand does not qualify as an opener, but does as a weak 2. Hence, as regular partners and I discuss this is some detail, I would open 3C 1&2 seats, 1C 3rd seat and pass 4th seat.

Seems to me that reducing the gray areas in bidding and having a disciplined consistent approach works well across the board.

#23 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-July-16, 23:10

If your only strong opening bid is 2C, it might be wise to consider how wide of range of expected opening hands you and your partner are comfortable playing. I have no strong preference for light or sound openings, so I always went along with what my partner was comfortable using. Just keep in mind, if partner can open a 1-bid with 10 or 22, the responder has to be careful not to get too carried away and at the same time not be timid about passing with less than a normal responding hand.

With the hand in the OP, I personally don't see much benefit from an opening 1C bid because it is unlikely we will get to the wrong spot if I pass, there is no real preemption to a 1C opening, and minor suit games take 11 tricks so there's no huge benefit from finding a fit.

This same hand with a long major is worth an opening, IMO, although I have played weak two bid this strong.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#24 User is offline   vladesch 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-July-19, 00:06

I would pass in first and definitely pass in second. I dont want to mislead partner if he has a reasonable hand.
If partner passes I will bid 2c on the second round.
In third seat I would bid 1c. I would pass in 4th.

#25 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-19, 01:02

totally normal pass. passing once doesn't mean passing forever.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users