BBO Discussion Forums: How many HCP does a dbl by a passed hand promise? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many HCP does a dbl by a passed hand promise?

#1 User is offline   zdedo 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-July-12, 04:33

Taking the example auction on consideration what is the dbl by a passed hand shows and how high it's hcp count
the auction : p p 1♦ 1♥ dbl
Thank you

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-12, 04:48

View Postzdedo, on 2018-July-12, 04:33, said:

Taking the example auction on consideration what is the dbl by a passed hand shows and how high it's hcp count
the auction : p p 1♦ 1♥ dbl
Thank you

On this auction specifically, I would expect partner to have anything between 7-11 high card points without another constructive bid at his/her disposal. That is, partner does not have a 4 or longer suit as a 1 bid could be made, partner hasn't got a stopper as a 1NT bid could be made, and partner hasn't got support as s could be raised. A hand such as Qxx xxx Axx Kxxx would be my interpretation of Dbl in this position.

However, some players may have an agreement that a 1 bid here could be a 5 card suit, so then Dbl could indicate precisely a 4 card suit with the same hcp count.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-12, 06:44

View PostFelicityR, on 2018-July-12, 04:48, said:

However, some players may have an agreement that a 1 bid here could be a 5 card suit, so then Dbl could indicate precisely a 4 card suit with the same hcp count.

I have such an agreement and Dbl does indicate precisely a 4-card suit in this case. This Dbl promising length in a precise suit has to be alerted in my RA; I think that is unusual, but better to check.

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-12, 10:20

View Postpescetom, on 2018-July-12, 06:44, said:

I have such an agreement and Dbl does indicate precisely a 4-card suit in this case. This Dbl promising length in a precise suit has to be alerted in my RA; I think that is unusual, but better to check.

It seems you will be stuck on a lot of maximum passed hands.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   Draculea 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:bridge

Posted 2018-July-12, 10:22

I would adventure to say that by default (without any specific agreement) X shows a 4+ spade suit (may have 5+ spades if very weak) and 1S is promising 5+ spades. Being a PH doesn't change much except that you have an upper bound. Am I missing something?

#6 User is offline   dokoko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding System Design
    Walking my dogs
    2 player Hanabi

Posted 2018-July-14, 14:58

In the sequence given - as in many others - the meaning of a dbl doesn't change when you're a passed hand (obviously the initial pass limits your strength).

It's only when a dbl by an unpassed hand would show opening strength that you can (and should) lower the requirements. In other situations - especially when responding to partner's 3rd hand opening - keep your bids up to strength as partner may have entered lightly.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users