BBO Discussion Forums: Bid this and why? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid this and why? 2/1 ACBL

#21 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2018-June-18, 08:59

I believe that a better treatment here is to bid 3d showing a diamond stop and denying a club stop. (3c would show a club stop and values for game) Partner would then bid on.

Generally to look for a 44 major suit fit is likely a bad move as the suit has a good chance of breaking 41.

With length in both minors then double by all means.

What would a pass in this position mean? Possibly nothing to say but also possibly having both majors and game values waiting to double for take_out the 3rd response.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#22 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2018-June-18, 08:59

I believe that a better treatment here is to bid 3d showing a diamond stop and denying a club stop. (3c would show a club stop and values for game) Partner would then bid on.

Generally to look for a 44 major suit fit is likely a bad move as the suit has a good chance of breaking 41.

With length in both minors then double by all means.

What would a pass in this position mean? Possibly nothing to say but also possibly having both majors and game values waiting to double for take_out the 3rd response.

#23 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-June-18, 09:06

View PostWackojack, on 2018-June-18, 08:59, said:

I might be wrong but think it is more common to play 3 = game force with 5+ and 3 the same with spades. "Unusual vs Unusual"
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#24 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-18, 09:09

I believe a better treatment is to bid 3d showing a diamond stop and values for game. 3c would show a club stop. Partner would then bid 3nt. To look for a 44 major suit fit is likley counter productive since the suit has a good chance of breaking 41.

WIth length in both minors then double by all means.

What woulda pass in this situation show? Possibly nothing to say or possibly holding both majors waiting to double for take out the 3d rebid.

#25 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-18, 09:16

View Postggwhiz, on 2018-June-18, 09:06, said:

I might be wrong but think it is more common to play 3 = game force with 5+ and 3 the same with spades. "Unusual vs Unusual"

Yes that is another possibility if agreed. Then presumably you have to double.

Sorry for reply triplication. Trouble with android away on hols.

#26 User is offline   Joe_Old 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-18, 11:20

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-June-18, 08:17, said:

What are you going to do if partner bids 3 ?

It should be 4-4 in the majors if you play this style

Once the opponents have bid 3 of a minor and neither of you can double for penalty, you are scrambling for a plus. Pass. Responder needs 7+ to take this delayed action, and certainly isn't going to take a rash action at unfavorable vulnerability. Responder is also telling Opener that they have the majority of the high cards, so Opener can leave the double in when it looks appropriate and expect to beat the contract on power (picture Axx Kxx KQx Kxxx).

#27 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-18, 11:46

I know I've discussed with partner 1N-(2N)-3 as showing hearts, but how do people play 1N-(2N)-P-(3)-P-P-3 which can hardly be natural ?

#28 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-18, 15:17

View Poststeve2005, on 2018-June-16, 20:31, said:

Double if they bid clubs hopefully partner can double it.

A comma after "Double"
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#29 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-18, 15:35

This auction probably comes up once every two years, so I'm not sure having methods over it is important at all. But if you were to ask me what fancy stuff seems intuitive to me:

1NT (2NT)

X: 8-9 balanced (no five card major). Partner is free to X their minor or bid something. If he doesn't do anything, he has to expect you will let the opps play 3m undoubled.

X then X: 8-9 balanced with 2 cards in the opponents' suit

Pass then X: 100% penalty (this is what you do if you just want to X 3m or if you can X one minor but want to play 3NT otherwise)
Pass then 3H or 3S: weak hand with probably 6+ M. Drop.
Pass then 3NT: GF with 4/4 or 5/4 in the majors

3C: 5 hearts invite or better
3D: 5 spades invite or better
3H: GF; 4 card spade suit
3S: GF: 4 card heart suit

3NT: To play

4C: Gerber?
4D, 4H: Texas

#30 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-18, 15:44

View Postmiamijd, on 2018-June-18, 15:35, said:

3H: GF; 4 card spade suit
3S: GF: 4 card heart suit

This doesn't sound good. With a 4 card major, better to start with a double (or pass, maybe, depending on methods). It could still be right to defend, and otherwise we need space to sort our minor suit stoppers. Also, with one opp having 5-5 in the minors, major suits often break badly so you might not even want to find your 4-4 fit.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#31 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-18, 18:07

View Posthelene_t, on 2018-June-18, 15:44, said:

This doesn't sound good. With a 4 card major, better to start with a double (or pass, maybe, depending on methods). It could still be right to defend, and otherwise we need space to sort our minor suit stoppers. Also, with one opp having 5-5 in the minors, major suits often break badly so you might not even want to find your 4-4 fit.

With a 4333 or 3433 GF hand, you can X first and then bid the other major is you prefer (or if the opps bid is 3C, you can use 3D to ask for a major). But there are some hands where you aren't apt to want to defend (4351, for example). You need to have X mostly be the 8-9 balanced hands (which are very common), or else you have no way whatsoever to show them.

Cheers,
Mike

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users