BBO Discussion Forums: Where are 13 tricks GUBBO? At least no insane jump - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where are 13 tricks GUBBO? At least no insane jump GUBidding

#1 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-14, 06:37

I checked before I bid 6C. Still 13+. So wherefrom 7S ? Sunny GUBBO personality? The Singleton club? The 7 cards in spades? Simulation?

#2 User is offline   jammen 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-14, 08:46

Maybe Gubbo foresaw the double squeeze. after 7 rounds of spades this is the position:

Now the A squeezes South out of his club guard. Followed by the A which then squeezes North out his club guard. A simple finesse of the J then brings in four club tricks for the contract.

#3 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-14, 09:47

View Postjammen, on 2018-June-14, 08:46, said:

Maybe Gubbo foresaw the double squeeze. after 7 rounds of spades this is the position:

Now the A squeezes South out of his club guard. Followed by the A which then squeezes North out his club guard. A simple finesse of the J then brings in four club tricks for the contract.

very fine catch jammen. i did not even investigate play possibility because of the bidding.
now the question becomes can one bid a grand based on a play might emerge?

#4 User is offline   jammen 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-14, 10:18

Virgo, I've posted the very same thing. I get so infuriated by the dumb bot that I forget to play the hand.

#5 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-June-14, 10:54

One problem GIB has here is that it has no sensible followup tries after 6c. 6D should ask for the DK but instead it's just a generic cue bid. So probably it just simulated and got too optimistic about success chances. They probably need higher threshold for bidding grands because DD simulations tend to be too optimistic about guessing two-way finesses/finesse vs. drop/finesse vs squeeze type of things at the slam level.

#6 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-June-14, 11:36

View PostStephen Tu, on 2018-June-14, 10:54, said:

One problem GIB has here is that it has no sensible followup tries after 6c. 6D should ask for the DK but instead it's just a generic cue bid. So probably it just simulated and got too optimistic about success chances. They probably need higher threshold for bidding grands because DD simulations tend to be too optimistic about guessing two-way finesses/finesse vs. drop/finesse vs squeeze type of things at the slam level.

If only GIB East had a way to bid a grand if West had more than AK and A plus trump support. The only player who knows that is West. An expert player would bid 6 and trust partner to bid 7 with extra tricks. I don't expect GIB to ever make those types of assumptions. :(

#7 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-14, 11:46

View Postjohnu, on 2018-June-14, 11:36, said:

If only GIB East had a way to bid a grand if West had more than AK and A plus trump support. The only player who knows that is West. An expert player would bid 6 and trust partner to bid 7 with extra tricks. I don't expect GIB to ever make those types of assumptions. :(

Is why I checked "points" for 6C. 13+ so I thought it is safe to bid 6C.

#8 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-14, 11:48

View Postvirgosrock, on 2018-June-14, 11:46, said:

Is why I checked "points" for 6C. 13+ so I thought it is safe to bid 6C.

Maybe the truism here is "If GIB started the asking just deny everything". Not really bridge but it isn't bridge as we know it anyways LOL

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users