BBO Discussion Forums: GIBBO chooses 2 card suit over 4 cards - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIBBO chooses 2 card suit over 4 cards GIBidding

#1 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-03, 18:54

to me it seems many many competitive bidding by GIBBO is severely flawed. e.g. 4D here is bizarre.

vrock

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-April-03, 20:02

3S is nice bid. If meant naturally wants to take 9 tricks rather than defend and only need 6 tricks.
I guess thinks there is game.
4 is listed as a cuebid so i guess it wants to play in 6S wow!
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-03, 20:36

View Poststeve2005, on 2018-April-03, 20:02, said:

3S is nice bid. If meant naturally wants to take 9 tricks rather than defend and only need 6 tricks.
I guess thinks there is game.
4 is listed as a cuebid so i guess it wants to play in 6S wow!

According to the description, 3S shows 4+ hearts and 4D is a cuebid looking for slam. If West had anything resembling their bid slam would be a pretty good bet.

#4 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-04, 05:38

View Postsfi, on 2018-April-03, 20:36, said:

According to the description, 3S shows 4+ hearts and 4D is a cuebid looking for slam. If West had anything resembling their bid slam would be a pretty good bet.

my bad. did not notice 3S had H support. sorry.

vrock

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-04, 15:55

View Postvirgosrock, on 2018-April-04, 05:38, said:

my bad. did not notice 3S had H support. sorry.

vrock

Why is Gib bidding 3S? There is no slam partner has passed already just bid 4H.
Answer: Partner showed 14-16 points with their double and miscounted originally and passed. Sure!
"If West had anything resembling their bid slam would be a pretty good bet" Which bid? Pass or double?If pass was trapping they have big spades, seems unlikely.

#6 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-04, 16:28

View Poststeve2005, on 2018-April-04, 15:55, said:

Why is Gib bidding 3S? There is no slam partner has passed already just bid 4H.
Answer: Partner showed 14-16 points with their double and miscounted originally and passed. Sure!
"If West had anything resembling their bid slam would be a pretty good bet" Which bid? Pass or double?If pass was trapping they have big spades, seems unlikely.

Partner hasn't denied holding 14-16 points when they pass over 1S. West's action is consistent with something like a 3-4-4-2 hand with no spade stopper or not enough to overcall 1NT (although the subsequent auction tells us West can't hold this hand).

But West doesn't even need to hold that - an eight-count like - QJxx AJTxx xxxx makes slam a favourite. All you need is a hand with a bit more offensive potential and less strength in clubs.

#7 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-05, 03:54

View Postsfi, on 2018-April-04, 16:28, said:

Partner hasn't denied holding 14-16 points when they pass over 1S. West's action is consistent with something like a 3-4-4-2 hand with no spade stopper or not enough to overcall 1NT (although the subsequent auction tells us West can't hold this hand).

But West doesn't even need to hold that - an eight-count like - QJxx AJTxx xxxx makes slam a favourite. All you need is a hand with a bit more offensive potential and less strength in clubs.

After slam try attempts and Gib saying it has nothing useful. You sign-off knowing likely off 2 tricks and Gib now decides hand is worth a slam and bids it.

One said is rue but I would hate to agree with Gib on slam bidding, it sets a bad precedent. :lol:

#8 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-05, 06:17

View Poststeve2005, on 2018-April-05, 03:54, said:

After slam try attempts and Gib saying it has nothing useful. You sign-off knowing likely off 2 tricks and Gib now decides hand is worth a slam and bids it.

One said is rue but I would hate to agree with Gib on slam bidding, it sets a bad precedent. :lol:

RamBBO generally is fine in slam bidding EXCEPT the instances where ir assumes stuff in your hand and makes insane jumps to 6 NT.

VROCK

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users