BBO Discussion Forums: Play problem - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play problem Decisions, decisions

#1 User is offline   Winstonm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,289
  • Joined: 2005-January-08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tulsa, Oklahoma
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-April-02, 14:03

KJ75


Imps. All vul. Opening lead club 3. What is the safest line?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
1

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 980
  • Joined: 2012-October-26
  • Gender:Female

Posted 2018-April-02, 15:21

May I ask does the ♣J get covered by the Q or not?
0

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,289
  • Joined: 2005-January-08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tulsa, Oklahoma
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-April-02, 16:00

View PostFelicityR, on 2018-April-02, 15:21, said:

May I ask does the ♣J get covered by the Q or not?


If you choose to play the J, it wins.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
0

#4 User is offline   gszes 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,695
  • Joined: 2011-February-12

Posted 2018-April-02, 18:40

trick 1 win the club in dummy and play dia AK and ruff a dia with ace pitch last dia on heart ace club to hand laying down spade Q hoping to pull trumps w/o an uppercut ruining my day.
0

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,289
  • Joined: 2005-January-08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tulsa, Oklahoma
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-April-02, 19:27

View Postgszes, on 2018-April-02, 18:40, said:

trick 1 win the club in dummy and play dia AK and ruff a dia with ace pitch last dia on heart ace club to hand laying down spade Q hoping to pull trumps w/o an uppercut ruining my day.



That was almost my line but I chose to ruff a heart back to hand. I'm curious, though, what is best.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
0

#6 User is offline   foobar 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 588
  • Joined: 2003-June-20
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2018-April-02, 20:45

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-April-02, 19:27, said:

That was almost my line but I chose to ruff a heart back to hand. I'm curious, though, what is best.

IMO, ♥ ruff to hand is superior to ♣ ruff because:

1) LHO might have led from Q...5th or even Q...6th of ♣. In the latter case, the ruff is imminent; in the former case, K♠ with LHO and ♣-ruff is a self inflicted wound

2) LHO might have led a stiff ♥ instead of #1

Also, after winning ruffing ♥, probably try J♠ or T♠ of spades to try and sneak past KS with RHO in case the ♣ ruff exists.
0

#7 User is offline   Winstonm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,289
  • Joined: 2005-January-08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tulsa, Oklahoma
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-April-02, 22:09

O.K., now here is the kicker. If you win the club in dummy, cash the heart ace for a diamond pitch then play the AK of diamonds, RHO follows with the 10Q. Now what?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
0

#8 User is offline   foobar 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 588
  • Joined: 2003-June-20
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2018-April-02, 23:38

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-April-02, 22:09, said:

O.K., now here is the kicker. If you win the club in dummy, cash the heart ace for a diamond pitch then play the AK of diamonds, RHO follows with the 10Q. Now what?


Don't see the need to take a ♦ pitch before AK of ♦ (win T1 in hand to preserve entry to board). But I suspect that it probably wouldn't have made the play problem so interesting :D?
0

#9 User is offline   Winstonm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,289
  • Joined: 2005-January-08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tulsa, Oklahoma
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-April-03, 08:33

View Postfoobar, on 2018-April-02, 23:38, said:

Don't see the need to take a ♦ pitch before AK of ♦ (win T1 in hand to preserve entry to board). But I suspect that it probably wouldn't have made the play problem so interesting :D?


That's true - and my problem. I never considered the J9 of diamonds anything but losers. Suffice it to say, LHO held: K9x, x, xxxxx, Q10xx. By returning to hand with a heart, I either was going to be overruffed or self-uppercutted. :P
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
0

#10 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,128
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-April-03, 14:54

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-April-02, 14:03, said:


Imps. All vul. Opening lead club 3. What is the safest line?

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-April-02, 16:00, said:

If you choose to play the J, it wins.

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-April-02, 22:09, said:

O.K., now here is the kicker. If you win the club in dummy, cash the heart ace for a diamond pitch then play the AK of diamonds, RHO follows with the 10Q. Now what?

View Postfoobar, on 2018-April-02, 23:38, said:

Don't see the need to take a ♦ pitch before AK of ♦ (win T1 in hand to preserve entry to board). But I suspect that it probably wouldn't have made the play problem so interesting :D?

Interesting problem, WinstonM. I don't know what's the best line but, if you intend to win the opening lead in hand, then it costs nothing to
Try dummy's ♣J, at trick 1. When that finesse wins, a reasonable continuation is
Cash ♣A.
Cross to dummy's ♠A.
Discard a ♦ on ♥A.
Discard another ♦ on ♣K,
Return to hand with ♦A, and
Advance ♠Q.

Most lines involve playing 2 rounds of ♣s early but this line runs the risk that that an opponent can ruff the 3rd round of ♣s. with a small ♠.

Another winning line is ♣K, Discard a ♦ on ♥A, ♦AK, ruff a ♦. As the cards lie, you can return to hand with ♣A, to lead ♠Q.

Admittedly, it's easier to find successful lines after peeking at the full deal :)
0

#11 User is offline   Winstonm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,289
  • Joined: 2005-January-08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tulsa, Oklahoma
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-April-03, 16:48

View Postnige1, on 2018-April-03, 14:54, said:

Interesting problem, WinstonM. I don't know what's the best line but, if you intend to win the opening lead in hand, then it costs nothing to
Try dummy's ♣J, at trick 1. When that finesse wins, a reasonable continuation is
Cash ♣A.
Cross to dummy's ♠A.
Discard a ♦ on ♥A.
Discard another ♦ on ♣K,
Return to hand with ♦A, and
Advance ♠Q.

Most lines involve playing 2 rounds of ♣s early but this line runs the risk that that an opponent can ruff the 3rd round of ♣s. with a small ♠.

Another winning line is ♣K, Discard a ♦ on ♥A, ♦AK, ruff a ♦. As the cards lie, you can return to hand with ♣A, to lead ♠Q.

Admittedly, it's easier to find successful lines after peeking at the full deal :)



Think of this as a trick 1 problem - what line are you going with. I decided to ruff 1 diamond and pitch 1 diamond and rely on the spades being either stiff 9 or 32. I was concerned about LHO holding 3 clubs only and the 9xx in spades so that if I played 3 rounds of clubs and lost a spade to Easts king, the 4th club would then doom me. So I won the king in dummy, pitched a diamond on the heart ace, and played 2 rounds of diamonds, on which the Q10 came down. Now I had another quandry - start on spades and risk a diamond ruff if LHO holds Kx and RHO holds 9xx or continue to ruff the master diamond to strip east of the ruff risk. I decided to ruff the J of diamonds, then I had to either come back to hand with a third club ruffed or a heart ruffed. I chose hearts - unsuccessfully. :o
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
0

#12 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,128
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-April-04, 13:50

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-April-03, 16:48, said:

Think of this as a trick 1 problem - what line are you going with. I decided to ruff 1 diamond and pitch 1 diamond and rely on the spades being either stiff 9 or 32. I was concerned about LHO holding 3 clubs only and the 9xx in spades so that if I played 3 rounds of clubs and lost a spade to Easts king, the 4th club would then doom me. So I won the king in dummy, pitched a diamond on the heart ace, and played 2 rounds of diamonds, on which the Q10 came down. Now I had another quandry - start on spades and risk a diamond ruff if LHO holds Kx and RHO holds 9xx or continue to ruff the master diamond to strip east of the ruff risk. I decided to ruff the J of diamonds, then I had to either come back to hand with a third club ruffed or a heart ruffed. I chose hearts - unsuccessfully. :o

View Postnige1, on 2018-April-03, 14:54, said:

Another winning line is ♣K, Discard a ♦ on ♥A, ♦AK, ruff a ♦. As the cards lie, you can return to hand with ♣A, to lead ♠Q.

This is the line suggested by Gszes
0

#13 User is offline   Winstonm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,289
  • Joined: 2005-January-08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tulsa, Oklahoma
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-April-04, 14:39

Doesn't it seem more likely, though, that a heart ruff is safer as West did not lead a heart and the clubs could be 1-5? The question that is eating me is did I play badly or was I unlucky? I can live with either as long as I know.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
0

#14 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,128
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-April-05, 06:05

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-April-04, 14:39, said:

Doesn't it seem more likely, though, that a heart ruff is safer as West did not lead a heart and the clubs could be 1-5? The question that is eating me is did I play badly or was I unlucky? I can live with either as long as I know.

♣s or ♥ (or both) might be 6-1.
If you believe defenders' carding, LHO has length in both minors, making a shortage in ♥ likely.
If LHO has ♠Kx doubleton, and 6 ♣s, then RHO can ruff a ♣, anyway, whether or not you cross to ♣A.
If you successfully re-enter hand with a ♥ ruff, you aren't out of the woods. If RHO has ♠Kx doubleton, and 5 ♥s, he can lead a 3rd ♥ to promote LHO's ♠9.
20-20 hind-sight, of course :)
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users