• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB passes cue bid

#1 User is offline   wbartley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-February-19, 02:08

Just play bridge robot. Human South

Explanation of the 4 bid is appropriate. It essentially says it's a cue bid showing first round control of diamonds.

This seems particularly bad here because the 2 bid marginally agrees hearts. The simplest sort of heuristic here would solve the problem. If GIB doesn't recognize a bid and there is an agreed upon suit, rather than passing, it should just make a minimum bid in the agreed suit. 1X=2X, 1X=3X, 1X-1Y-2Y, and 1X-2Y-3Y all come immediately to mind. Just set a flag in these few situations indicating that X is the agreed suit and if GIB thereafter runs into a hole in its bidding database, DON'T PASS!

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-February-19, 18:30

I can't replicate this - either it was remarkably fixed by the update that was released just after you posted this, or maybe you got the auction wrong.

Basic GIB currently actually responds 3 instead of 3 showing 3+ , 11+ points, and at least the Q of diamonds.. but even if I force a 3 respond, it bids 4 next turn.

#3 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-22, 21:17

I don't think I have ever seen GIB do this. If someone says they can't replicate it, I will assume it was some sort of fluke or won't happen again, until seeing otherwise.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#4 User is offline   wbartley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-23, 18:42

Josh's response reminds me of an old joke.

A salesman, a hardware engineer and a software engineer are driving in a car when they have a blowout. They get out of the car and naturally, the salesman is the first to speak. He says, "Time to get a new car!" The hardware engineer says, "You don't need to do that. Just swap out each tire in turn until the problem goes away." Then the software engineer says, "I have a better idea. Let's get back in the car and keep going. Maybe it won't happen again."

#5 User is offline   jammen 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-24, 10:44

The bot did keep you out of the unmakeable heart slam.

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-24, 15:59

For once I have some sympathy with GIB, it's a pig of a hand with which to respond.
Your diamonds cue-bid was no help either, it tells him that you have a void in his long suit and that the clubs you mentioned are no good.
Nevertheless it's hard not to bid 4.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users