BBO Discussion Forums: Sanity check on reopening - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sanity check on reopening

Poll: Sanity check on reopening (44 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate a reopening X

1. routine easy everyday there's a Y in the day (5 votes [11.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

2. not textbook but okay (1 votes [2.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.27%

3. a bit exxagerated but I would (8 votes [18.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

4. pass or X both reasonable, no preference (10 votes [22.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

5. a bit too much for me (11 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

6. crazy (9 votes [20.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   kfitz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-December-30, 19:00

This seems absolutely clear to me , you are max for your initial pass and there are so many hands pd would have to pass which you must now protect, every hand with only one major and no 6+ suit in fact

#22 User is offline   kfitz 

• Pip

Posted 2017-December-30, 19:17

If you won’t reopen in spots like this you force pd to put their vuln neck on the chopping block with all kinds of hands that will prove disastrous when rho proves to have many of the high cards you have here

#23 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-December-30, 23:01

The major reason to pass this hand is that at imps there isn't enough difference between +100 and +140 to argue over and the chances you have missed game are virtually zero while the risk of -500 or -800 is very real.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-December-30, 23:41

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-December-30, 23:01, said:

The major reason to pass this hand is that at imps there isn't enough difference between +100 and +140 to argue over and the chances you have missed game are virtually zero while the risk of -500 or -800 is very real.

Posted Image

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   maartenxq 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-December-31, 04:45

View Postapollo1201, on 2017-December-30, 07:02, said:

Partner had something close to Kx(x) ATxxx Kx(x) Axx and passed initially (I think it is quite clear to pass), but now jumped to 4H and wrapped up 11 tricks after guessing everything right incl. picking up the trumps that split J - Qxx.

I think your p has more reason to bid 3 , than you have to dbl. She has a full opening and top controls. If you come in after this thinking and find such a hand I would for sure call td and hear your explanations with deep mistrust.

Maarten Baltussen

#26 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-31, 06:41

I don’t think that there is any doubt that if you doubled following a long think from partner and the TD was called he would award an adjusted score. You might also face an additional penalty.

Incidentally I don’t agree that having previously passed makes reopening correct. I’ve never felt that somehow passing makes your hand stronger. To reopen in this position you need a bit of distribution to make up for the lack of strength. Make the QC the queen of another suit and have 4441 or 5431 distribution and a double would be ok, but not on this mess.

#27 User is offline   Joe_Old 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-31, 09:25

View Postmaartenxq, on 2017-December-31, 04:45, said:

I think your p has more reason to bid 3 , than you have to dbl. She has a full opening and top controls. If you come in after this thinking and find such a hand I would for sure call td and hear your explanations with deep mistrust.

Maarten Baltussen

North certainly does NOT have a 3 bid in direct seat. Too many players look for excuses to bid every time they have 13 cards, when they should trust partner to balance when appropriate. To bid at the 3 level in direct seat, you require better than a minimum opening hand, perhaps Kx AJ10xxx Kx Axx.

#28 User is offline   sultro 

• Pip

Posted 2017-December-31, 10:30

at matchpoints i would have voted every day that ends in y. at imps it is a lot riskier. you have to collect +2-3 imps a lot of times before the -14 for getting doubled and going down 4 evens out. state of the match matters, and quality of the opponents. if you rate yourself to win the match, don't risk it. if you think the match is close even, don't risk it. but if your playing a far superior team, a couple of these risky bids that work out can tip the balance in your favor.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users