• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bidding a long suit

#41 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-December-22, 04:44

View PostStevenG, on 2017-December-22, 03:12, said:

First in hand, there's always the possibility that partner has significant strength and opps don't have a lot. That aside, I'd still prefer to try for a constructive auction by opening 1 and improvising after interference. Of course, being in EBUland, I'm not allowed to open this with an artificial strong bid.

Are you sure?

It is permitted to open (say) 2 to show an unspecified long suit that is not clubs under (b)(iv) above. If such an opening may contain (for example) a solid eight card major with little outside this should be clearly described and not called simply, ‘Strong’.

(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#42 User is online   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-December-22, 05:29

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-December-22, 04:44, said:

Are you sure?

No. But I can only do it if I have a well-defined set of agreements that aren't a form of Benji. Which I don't. (I think - there are so many baffling bits in that bit of the Blue Book, I'm still rather bewildered by it all. However my partners only play Benji, and aren't bridge lawyers, so I'm stuck.)

#43 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-December-22, 05:50

View PostStevenG, on 2017-December-22, 05:29, said:

No. But I can only do it if I have a well-defined set of agreements that aren't a form of Benji. Which I don't. (I think - there are so many baffling bits in that bit of the Blue Book, I'm still rather bewildered by it all. However my partners only play Benji, and aren't bridge lawyers, so I'm stuck.)

I don't think that matters. You can certainly do it if it is not your agreement. Do you have agreements about 10-card suits?

And if it is your agreement, it is, as mentioned above, a matter of agreement. Although of course with Axxx, Kx, Axx Jxxx, "Strong" is enough.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#44 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-December-22, 06:39

#45 User is offline   0deary 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-22, 06:44

Dear Santa,

Portia has very kindly shown me a 1,10,0,2 shape topped by AKQ. I well remember been dealt with that very hand nearly 20 times during the last million hands I played…

In my twenties I just banged 6H. But opps was soon in 6S. Once I tried 7- wrong, partner had super trumps and 6S was down. So the second time I passed- wrong, this time 6S was cold and 7H only cost 500

In my thirties I tried 4N. Op rudely bid 5S. But fortunately my partner knew her DOPI/ROPI and passed (showing 1 Ace). But op crudely bid 6S, and I was in the same problem I had in my twenties

In my forties I asked about opening 2C. But the Director told me that 2C is a rather special bid, cannot be psyched, and 11 points are way short of when you are announcing a 2C. So it would be wrong to announce 2C this way- its more of a pre-empt hand than a powerhouse

In my fifties I had a cunning plan. Pass. Surely someone will open. They did. 6S after a quiet partner: same problem

In my sixties I finally realised that what I wanted from Santa is more information. What has partner got and which seat has the spades. So a gentle 1H. Expect a vigorous auction, but sit back and listen. I might not get it right in future either, but at least I might get enough information to decide. 1H-2S-X-4S is different to 1H-4S-p-p or 1H-1S-1NT-4S so reflecting- what others did bid (and what they didn’t) bid should help

A lovely hand Porteus, thank you very much for sharing it!

My seasons best wishes to all

0Deary

#46 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-December-22, 07:28

View PostVampyr, on 2017-December-22, 05:50, said:

I don't think that matters. You can certainly do it if it is not your agreement. Do you have agreements about 10-card suits?

And if it is your agreement, it is, as mentioned above, a matter of agreement. Although of course with Axxx, Kx, Axx Jxxx, "Strong" is enough.

You can also decide that it is a psyche.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#47 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-22, 10:03

As others have said, there is no right of bidding this hand. I have looked on Wikipedia and the odds of holding a 10-2-1-0 hand is 0.000011 that means the odds are 1 in 90,909 of holding this shape in the first instance, and as there are four positions at the table I guess that then holding it in first position equates to 1 in 363,636. Personally I'd rather concentrate on the 363,635 hands that are less freakily-shaped.

As for holding a solid suit headed by AKQ, I'd let the professor-level statisticians advise you of the correct odds specifically for this hand. By the way, I'd open 4 and be prepared to bid again even though pre-empting and bidding again is anathema: on this hand it warrants it.

#48 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-22, 11:20

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-December-21, 11:20, said:

I would suggest to you that for a rather large portion of the player base this is in fact a specific ace ask. That arguably makes it more appealing than ordinary Blackwood but I think you are experienced enough not to be making claims such as the quote above.

intermediate/advanced will normally not have these high level agreements I was clarifying the use of 01234 vs any form of key card. We open this can of worms because IMHO I think a 4n opening should probably be best served with the responses being 1 red 1 black 2 same color 2 different colors 3 with specific K asking bids once we have decided to play slam and wish to search for 7. This would allow the 4n opener (with hands similar to this) to be used with all 4 suits.

#49 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-December-22, 12:44

View Postgszes, on 2017-December-22, 11:20, said:

intermediate/advanced will normally not have these high level agreements

High level agreement? This was in my first beginner's bridge book on Acol and has, to my knowledge, been in every incarnation of Acol since the original. It is not "high level" in England!!!
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#50 User is offline   croquetfan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-22, 22:40

If you play Kabel 3NT you are part way there but still a little guessing required.
Could go 3NT- 4S- 5H... let partner guess how good the CK is

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users