• You cannot reply to this topic

"Abusive language"

#1 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2020-January-27, 04:35

I was explaining Polish Club to a friend in private messages. After explaining to him all the advantages of the system, I also was trying to be fair and admitted "polish club sucks at showing diamonds" but I could not send that message because it was "abusive."

If I feel like exchanging some private messages with a friend with occasional profanities, why is that the business of BBO? If he's offended by it, he's free to report/block me. But literally not allowing such messages seems like a Big Brother measure. It feels creepy to me.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-27, 15:13

1000x agreed.

BBO is way too much of a nanny state.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-27, 15:28

I have some sympathy for abuse@, who is drowned in silly complaints about rudeness. Trying to automate some of the complaint flood away by filtering table chat and unsolicited messages is maybe reasonable. I personally find the American obsession with profanity ridiculous, but BBO is an American company. If it had been a Saudi Arabian company I would expect it to filter blasphemism out.

But yeah, chat between friends should of course be unrestricted.

Btw the 1 opening is great at showing diamonds, so just agree that the 1 opening includes 11-22 hands with both minors (even 45), and also 45 up to 22 points. Then you won't miss the natural 2 rebid after your 1 opening.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2020-January-27, 16:44

View Posthelene_t, on 2020-January-27, 15:28, said:

Btw the 1 opening is great at showing diamonds, so just agree that the 1 opening includes 11-22 hands with both minors (even 45), and also 45 up to 22 points. Then you won't miss the natural 2 rebid after your 1 opening.

This take sucks. %#!@%(!@*%!@(*&^!@(%#!@&%#!$@^*(&%$#!@ Helene.

No but seriously - yea that probably makes sense. In fact, why not play Polish club with Fantunes 1? Could be fun. Or standard with Fantunes 1 (strong hands with diamonds are hard to bid in every system).

Right now I like vanilla Polish club with optional weird jumps like

1C-1S
3C/3H = 5D4C/5D4H FWIW, but even if I had literally no time to make these agreements, I'd rather just improvise than give up auctions like

1D-1M
2NT = 6D3M 15-17

anywayssss sorry for derailing my own thread
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#5 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-28, 04:47

It is an interesting problem. One of the people that I saw must be a real problem because on his system card it says "Please send abuse complaints to abuse@bridgebase.com pref 2/1 udca +++" . I can only assume that he anticipates a larger than usual number of abuse complaints and that the new 'report abuse tab' will be insufficient in his case. A sort of Abuse Pre-Alert. I plan to add please send compliments about my terrible humorous asides to ...@... Posted Image
Non legit hoc

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-03, 06:18

You can't allow proanities on private messages between randoms, you could only allow them between mutual friends I guess, but depending on how it is programmed it could be costly to check.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-February-04, 02:02

View PostFluffy, on 2020-February-03, 06:18, said:

You can't allow proanities on private messages between randoms, you could only allow them between mutual friends I guess, but depending on how it is programmed it could be costly to check.

I'm pretty sure the server knows this easily, we may just not have thought of this, or didn't think it was appropriate.

Policies like this are always difficult to figure out the right balance.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users