BBO Discussion Forums: GIB Passes Again - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB Passes Again the default when not knowing what to do

#1 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2017-November-14, 18:04

Here is yet another instance where GIB just passes when he doesn’t know what else to do. I realize that he just overcalled, but should he really pass in this situation? If the hand is that weak, then maybe he shouldn’t be overcalling red vs white (I know, it’s in the help notes that GIB doesn’t pay attention to vulnerability).
Also, I’m open to second guessing of my bid. I thought of 2C but that would show more heart support. No-trump looks out with no diamond stopper. Would this be the spot for jump cue of 3C? I should have tested by clicking 3C and running cursor over definition.

This actually worked out well for me, but I don’t like these passes and I’m sure I’m not the only one. This action has many different forms. My club play is a little weird, but I had my sights on 2 club tricks and no more. I thought this was best way in case west had a stiff. Once in the dummy I’d do my poor man’s trump coup with diamonds.

http://tinyurl.com/y8v74o7m

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-November-14, 18:44

Gib plays a new suit as NF constructive.
Overcalling with 8 hcp and an anemic suit doesn't agree with my palate at any vulnerability.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2017-November-14, 19:36

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-November-14, 18:44, said:

Overcalling with 8 hcp and an anemic suit doesn't agree with my palate at any vulnerability.

Even playing new suit NF I don't think it justifies passing with a singleton in my suit. How can the strong possibility of playing in a 6-card fit be a good decision?

I'm not a fan of the overcall either, but I have to admit we would have gotten in worse trouble if he hadn't passed. Maybe he got a tip from the boys.

#4 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-14, 20:11

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-November-14, 18:44, said:

agree with steve. we had discussed similar overcalls before in another post. Only help I can see is for GIBBO pard to bid 2S which seems extremish and not quite sure whether it will show thrice rebiddable forcing to grand slam!!! LOL. But the pass of 1S is perfect by GIBBO. YOu could be sitting with KJTxxx and an ace.

vrock

#5 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-15, 09:39

View Postvirgosrock, on 2017-November-14, 20:11, said:

agree with steve. we had discussed similar overcalls before in another post. Only help I can see is for GIBBO pard to bid 2S which seems extremish and not quite sure whether it will show thrice rebiddable forcing to grand slam!!! LOL. But the pass of 1S is perfect by GIBBO. YOu could be sitting with KJTxxx and an ace.

vrock

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. I believe that a 5-1 fit is more likely. I don't like the pass, nor the 1H overcall, but what do I know.

Btw, I got a couple more opinions on the light overcall on your "GIB overcalls with crap" thread. Will give you details there.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users